October 21, 2017, 02:47:23 AM

Author Topic: The Defence  (Read 3015 times)

September 10, 2017, 02:18:27 AM
Reply #45

BlueBeagle

Or the Euro quarter finals - just over a 12 month ago. The point was made to counter argue the 'you only play shit teams' in qualifying

Mostly.

The fact that you last played a good team in qualifying over 2 years ago kind of backs up my point.

deCoubertin

September 10, 2017, 02:27:35 AM
Reply #46

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Mostly.

The fact that you last played a good team in qualifying over 2 years ago kind of backs up my point.

I'd not say we were in an easy group now
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

September 10, 2017, 02:31:40 AM
Reply #47

BlueBeagle

I'd not say we were in an easy group now

Neither would I but theres no genuine quality forwards in it, the likes of which Williams is facing most weeks in the PL and coming unstuck against.

September 10, 2017, 02:46:25 AM
Reply #48

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Jagielka remains a class apart defensively that is probably not good though

September 10, 2017, 02:46:40 AM
Reply #49

SANA_DR0

Martina and Williams are absolutely not good enough for this level.

Jagielka is past his best but should absolutely be starting.

Holgate struggles going forward but is a rock defensively.

Pickford
Holgate Keane Jagielka Baines

That's currently our best back line.

There can be no argument.

hopefully when Coleman is back or if Koeman wants to try it out in a cup game, play Kenny right back, pair Keane and Holgate in the centre..

i think they would work very well together.
Koeman is taking Everton places. Namely, the Championship.

September 10, 2017, 05:06:31 AM
Reply #50

howard1334

Jags is still the best CB at the club.

I don't know if that is true. Keane has done well this year, and I am not sure a single goal has been directly attributable to him.

September 10, 2017, 05:16:34 AM
Reply #51

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I don't know if that is true. Keane has done well this year, and I am not sure a single goal has been directly attributable to him.

I'm not sure I've seen him get the better of anybody yet you know.

Edit: I've seen stuff I like. I've seen him look really good facing long, high aerial balls.

I've also seen him get turned and left for dead once or twice.

I'd bite your hand off for a young Sylvain Distin. That sound like a WUM statement but honestly it isn't.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 05:19:38 AM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 10, 2017, 05:30:40 AM
Reply #52

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
I'm not sure I've seen him get the better of anybody yet you know.

Edit: I've seen stuff I like. I've seen him look really good facing long, high aerial balls.

I've also seen him get turned and left for dead once or twice.

I'd bite your hand off for a young Sylvain Distin. That sound like a WUM statement but honestly it isn't.

I miss the Milkman
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

September 10, 2017, 02:39:13 PM
Reply #53

Macca77

Williams and Martina should both be dropped immediately, they won't be though, so next Sunday at old Trafford is gonna be great fun isn't it

September 10, 2017, 03:50:06 PM
Reply #54

Jamokachi

Williams and Martina should both be dropped immediately, they won't be though, so next Sunday at old Trafford is gonna be great fun isn't it

I think Martina was selected because Koeman genuinely wanted to have a go at Spurs. Holgate is the defensive option that I expect to see against Utd.

Did Holgate pull out of U21 duty mid week? I know DCL did, thought I read they both had knocks. Could go some way as to explaining the starting line up yesterday.

September 10, 2017, 04:05:17 PM
Reply #55

Marky Mark and the funky

I think Martina was selected because Koeman genuinely wanted to have a go at Spurs. Holgate is the defensive option that I expect to see against Utd.

Did Holgate pull out of U21 duty mid week? I know DCL did, thought I read they both had knocks. Could go some way as to explaining the starting line up yesterday.

Yes Holgate stayed at home, in theory to recover for this match.

September 10, 2017, 04:49:31 PM
Reply #56

Ross

It's fine wanting to "have a go at them" but if having a go at them entails playing a piss poor rightback after spending near on 220m we're royally fucked this season.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

September 10, 2017, 04:50:29 PM
Reply #57

Jamokachi

It's fine wanting to "have a go at them" but if having a go at them entails playing a piss poor rightback after spending near on 220m we're royally fucked this season.

ok

September 10, 2017, 07:13:10 PM
Reply #58

Juanito

What annoys me most about Williams is that when he makes mistakes,like not stepping out in time, he blames others for it. As for Martina, how he can play him over Holgate and Kenny is unacceptable.

September 10, 2017, 07:14:52 PM
Reply #59

hill135

I agree with the criticism of Williams. He deffo sticks out like a sore thumb in a team trying to defend on the half way line.

Jags should be in the team ahead of him cos he at least is still fairly quick and is good on the recovery so he'd suit the tactics a lot better. But for me it's hardly an ideal solution as Jags is very limited himself nowadays. His absolute ball-phobia really undermines our efforts to keep the ball IMO.

We really should have bought as good a centre back that was available to partner Keane and we didn't. we really need to be moving beyond Jagielka ASAP.

And the Martina stuff is bordering on scapegoating now. Yeah he's a ropey defender but the whole shape of the team was a mess so he had no cover all day. He was also the only player to give them remotely anything to think about going the other way yesterday.