November 20, 2017, 09:15:53 PM

Poll

What should we do? (RESET 29 SEPTEMBER, AFTER LIMASSOL GAME)

Fire him now before our season goes tits up
Give him till Christmas.. If performances and results aren't where they should be for what he's spent, he's out
Let's just see how things are at the end of the season
The season has barely begun, he's a great manager and we should get 100% behind him
Ohhh Davey Moyes, Davey Davey Davey Moyes...
Fuck off with your polls, you cunt

Author Topic: Should we sack Koeman?  (Read 56774 times)

September 15, 2017, 10:43:27 AM
Reply #390

Jamokachi

A hell of a lot? I think if you work it out it may not be as much as you try & make out it is.
Stadium improvements - what? A few tins of paint and new cladding?
I don't have an agenda despite what you're trying to insinuate

1. 150m is a hell of a lot.
2. If you think all that has happened at Goodison is a "few tins of paint" you're massively deluded.
3. Of course you do. Your agenda is that the club is run and managed by frauds. There's nothing with having an agenda, you may as well admit it to yourself.

deCoubertin

September 15, 2017, 11:41:27 AM
Reply #391

TheTone

Benitez anyone?

Just Leicester, West Ham, Bournemouth and Crystal Palace at the moment

September 15, 2017, 12:22:49 PM
Reply #392

Mac934

We basically can't fix things until we get a striker. All this talk about the manager and performance and confidence all comes back around to the fact we haven't got a striker. Fundamentally, can't play how we want to play and how we've prepared to play all summer. We can try and be pragmatic and scrap wins but playing well will mean the manager will have to figure out some other way of playing. And it's not just about missing a key component of your tactics, you want someone on the pitch who can score fucking goals. Even top, well drilled teams will have off days when they'll rely on their striker to turn/win a game out of nothing. We haven't got that.
We do have strikers, albeit of differing skill and experience levels, ie DCL, Rooney and Niasse. If you can't get them involved and leave them totally exposed, then they will never get chances. How often was DCL played to last night?

September 15, 2017, 12:48:13 PM
Reply #393

KoemansNumberTens

I've read that about five times and still haven't a clue what you're saying but to promote Unsworth as manager just screams of lack of ambition.

I guess I'm saying while he wouldn't be my first choice (Diego simeone) he might be closer to the top of the list in terms of what's realistic

Also screams a lack of ambition? Who cares? I want the right decisions made rather than to be seen to be ambitious to the outside. People on here were happy for us to pay 40m for joe hart in the name of ambition. People on here said we should just pay 50 for Sigurdsson cos that's what big clubs do. Being seen to be ambitious to the outside world is often a bit overrated. We need to make good choices not "ambitious" ones

September 15, 2017, 12:54:42 PM
Reply #394

KoemansNumberTens

The Koeman/Walsh relationship is probably the most interesting thing about this. Is Walsh doing an outright horrible job of identifying suitable targets? Or is Koeman shooting his targets down because he doesn't like them? Or did Koeman and Walsh both think this mess of squad was a good idea? Or are Kenwright and Elstone secretly sabotaging them in the negotiating room?

It was mentioned on the podcast that Koeman needs to see the players personally before he signs off on them. If true, that's a totally fucked process. We shouldn't be assigning any weight to Koeman's player evaluations unless he's seeing the player for a full season's worth of games (which I seriously doubt is the case) and even then, I'm skeptical. For the scouting team to watch a player for a full season (or over multiple seasons), put the player forward as a suitable target, then have their opinions dismissed because the boss saw him once or twice and didn't like him... yeah, that doesn't make any sense. Koeman's only role should be to confirm that he'll be able to get along with players personally. He needs to trust the scouting team that the players fit the criteria he's given them.

(Again, all based on rumours. We don't really know what the process is. All we know is that it isn't working.)

I think much of our problem is there relationship. Don't think Walsh has enough say in the big signings and I don't think koeman is flexiable enough in terms of the targets he wants

September 15, 2017, 01:07:39 PM
Reply #395

van der Meyde

One of my concerns about sacking the manager and bringing another in is that the next manager may have a completely different philosophy and he might look at the squad and decide - "apart from a few players here I need a squad overhaul, get rid of these Koeman rejects etc". Then if things go tits up with The next manager then another would be appointed with another completely different approach and preference for certain players.

In the last 5 years we've seen the club's football philosophy change radically due to the managerial changes and I am quite confused as to the club's football identity. We risk becoming a Sunderland or QPR type of club with a lack of a clear footballing plan and structure so we never really know how to move forward as we don't know how to utilise our investments properly.
Definitely a valid concern.

That is the reason you bring in a Director of Football though surely. Given a specific club wide style remit, the Director Football should be signing players appropriate to it.

A Director of Football is hired specifically to avoid these issues. It's also why briniging in Steve Walsh after Koeman was so arse about tit.

September 15, 2017, 01:34:36 PM
Reply #396

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
The manner of the 2 losses (and the end of the City game) was galling.
So was last night.
I fear that Sunday may be the same.

But it'd be unfair to have a managerial position rest on a trip to Old Trafford.

I had a bit of a chewing out when i said i expected to lose the 4 league games from City to United. but i still expected us to make a fist of it.

So i've settled into '8 games'. 7 of them games are at home. Apart from Arsenal/United we should have sufficient quality to take maximum points from them.
If we beat Sunderland/Limassol /Lyon in the cup, get at least 9 points from the 15 league points available and at least make a showing against Arsenal then i'll give him till summer.

That's a big ask at the moment though - so i'll probably want him gone after the Burnley game.

September 15, 2017, 02:03:05 PM
Reply #397

Lxxx

You can certainly see why he doesn't stay very long anywhere, by choice or by design.

I think year one anywhere he will get a reaction by the virtue of him being Ronald Koeman, the football legend. Any player will find an extra 20% to impress a guy with his pedigree. If he brings along a strong work ethic those two combined will see a bounce with any group of players.

Over and above that maybe it's the flip side of the coin. His ego may then take over, relationships may suffer, his reputed love of golf over hard graft and his tactical failings might surface.
You could maybe get away with it a little longer in inferior leagues but here the cracks are showing already.

Nothing to base that on like, just my view.

September 15, 2017, 02:08:44 PM
Reply #398

Hawkandro

I guess I'm saying while he wouldn't be my first choice (Diego simeone) he might be closer to the top of the list in terms of what's realistic

Also screams a lack of ambition? Who cares? I want the right decisions made rather than to be seen to be ambitious to the outside. People on here were happy for us to pay 40m for joe hart in the name of ambition. People on here said we should just pay 50 for Sigurdsson cos that's what big clubs do. Being seen to be ambitious to the outside world is often a bit overrated. We need to make good choices not "ambitious" ones

Also, I can imagine a fair few of us thought signing Koeman would be a show of ambition...
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

September 15, 2017, 02:20:07 PM
Reply #399

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
You can certainly see why he doesn't stay very long anywhere, by choice or by design.

I think year one anywhere he will get a reaction by the virtue of him being Ronald Koeman, the football legend. Any player will find an extra 20% to impress a guy with his pedigree. If he brings along a strong work ethic those two combined will see a bounce with any group of players.

Over and above that maybe it's the flip side of the coin. His ego may then take over, relationships may suffer, his reputed love of golf over hard graft and his tactical failings might surface.
You could maybe get away with it a little longer in inferior leagues but here the cracks are showing already.

Nothing to base that on like, just my view.

Interesting theory but one things for sure, Barcelona aren't going to be knocking on our door any time soon !

September 15, 2017, 02:24:40 PM
Reply #400

Major Clanger

Usually, once this question pops up, it's just a matter of time.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

September 15, 2017, 02:24:59 PM
Reply #401

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Does anyone think he's the man to get us top 4 and win a trophy?

Not even top 4, top 6 even?

If no, then why want him here?

September 15, 2017, 02:30:12 PM
Reply #402

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Does anyone think he's the man to get us top 4 and win a trophy?

Not even top 4, top 6 even?

If no, then why want him here?

We're not even going to get "two semi finals" with him (our most recent benchmark for a good season)

September 15, 2017, 02:34:52 PM
Reply #403

Gary1878

Morning everyone. Well that was a shite performance.

I think the board will write off everything pre-United (whatever that result brings), and then expect performances and results after this.

If not, he will be under immense pressure to be sacked.

September 15, 2017, 02:37:10 PM
Reply #404

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Agree, 6 points from Bournmouth and Burnley an absolute must, if less than that, talks will take place with potential replacements.