October 22, 2017, 05:16:11 PM

Poll

What should we do? (RESET 29 SEPTEMBER, AFTER LIMASSOL GAME)

Fire him now before our season goes tits up
Give him till Christmas.. If performances and results aren't where they should be for what he's spent, he's out
Let's just see how things are at the end of the season
The season has barely begun, he's a great manager and we should get 100% behind him
Ohhh Davey Moyes, Davey Davey Davey Moyes...
Fuck off with your polls, you cunt

Author Topic: Should we sack Koeman?  (Read 41513 times)

Ramjam, Ridge and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

September 30, 2017, 03:29:41 AM
Reply #885

phillyt

My wife's at work and I'm bored. :)
Should still probably find a girlfriend though.
I'm fat, but it's not my fault I have a genetic condition resulting in me retaining burgers.

deCoubertin

September 30, 2017, 03:30:32 AM
Reply #886

Martip

Get 100% behind him and he'll become a great manager
Although i admire your positivity can i ask what you basing that on ? I think he has been backed and not been very good at all.

September 30, 2017, 03:33:35 AM
Reply #887

Ravardo

Although i admire your positivity can i ask what you basing that on ? I think he has been backed and not been very good at all.

He's probably shaggin his wife and doesnt want him home anytime soon

September 30, 2017, 03:50:06 AM
Reply #888

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
*really long post*

Fair play to you for posting that, took a lot of effort I imagine and has been a topic I've been surprised not to find more information on in the past, so good to read.

How did you identify clubs who had signed 6+ players, or clubs who had lost a key striker - your own knowledge, or is there some kind of database you're working from?

Also, did you look at what happens when you sign 6+ players AND lose your key striker? I imagine the n size is too small for meaningful comparison. But that's the situation we're in.

September 30, 2017, 03:51:17 AM
Reply #889

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Smashed it there @van der Meyde mate that's a beautiful bit of data viz.

I've had my 'he's got to go' moments definitely and as I say I'm not particularly attached. just not ready to give up just yet. Not sure on the reward either as I genuinely think this squad isn't anywhere near strong enough to do anything this year.

No goalscorer, no passer in midfield, no one to unlock the defence regularly, shaky back 4 who are all slow as fuck with no ball players and finally no pace in attack.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 30, 2017, 03:54:43 AM
Reply #890

sam of the south

Smashed it there @van der Meyde mate that's a beautiful bit of data viz.

I've had my 'he's got to go' moments definitely and as I say I'm not particularly attached. just not ready to give up just yet. Not sure on the reward either as I genuinely think this squad isn't anywhere near strong enough to do anything this year.

No goalscorer, no passer in midfield, no one to unlock the defence regularly, shaky back 4 who are all slow as fuck with no ball players and finally no pace in attack.

I agree with most of that, particularly the last sentence.

The biggest worry, though, is that he has been in charge when most of them have been signed.

So, would you trust him with even more funds in January?
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

September 30, 2017, 04:00:06 AM
Reply #891

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I agree with most of that, particularly the last sentence.

The biggest worry, though, is that he has been in charge when most of them have been signed.

So, would you trust him with even more funds in January?

Not really sure if he did sign them?

Before Walsh was here we signed a markedly different type of player tbh.

That said, he's forcing them square pegs into them round holes at any bastard opportunity...so maybe he did?

When we say 'wouldn't trust him with money' - if that's the case then fuck him off asap because we need a shit load of players. Imagine sitting here in the summer and Moshiri is like 'oh hello Jim, yes we will not be trying to sign any players because we don't trust him'. I'd burn the gaff down tbh.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 30, 2017, 04:06:19 AM
Reply #892

KoemansNumberTens

Whoever has been responsible for the last 3 transfer windows in terms of first team players needs to go. It's been utterly inept.

September 30, 2017, 04:09:05 AM
Reply #893

Realist

Of course. You owe me 80 quid. When can I get it?

Hahaha I'll let you out of it for 400 now if you want
I know you regret it already - forum bravado has you down 500 & I hope you'll honour it

September 30, 2017, 04:11:19 AM
Reply #894

van der Meyde

Fair play to you for posting that, took a lot of effort I imagine and has been a topic I've been surprised not to find more information on in the past, so good to read.

How did you identify clubs who had signed 6+ players, or clubs who had lost a key striker - your own knowledge, or is there some kind of database you're working from?

Also, did you look at what happens when you sign 6+ players AND lose your key striker? I imagine the n size is too small for meaningful comparison. But that's the situation we're in.
It wasn't remotely thorough or sophisticated. They were identified based on whoever came to mind as either big transfers, big takeovers or big financial meltdowns really and then cross-referencing with Wikipedia for results and Transfermarkt for player incomings. It will no doubt make me look even sadder, but probably about 90 minutes of work all in. I'm a researcher by trade though, so it's not much effort. :)

With the exception of a couple of teams (United with Ronaldo, Arsenal with Adebayor and van Persie), the teams that lost a big player all brought in 6+ players so whatever the numbers I said up there are pretty much what they are.

I think what I'd take away from that mainly is the trend to having a poorer goal difference (which I think you can take as a surrogate for cohesion) if you sign more players. Small n, but I suspect that trend would hold up.

September 30, 2017, 04:14:24 AM
Reply #895

sam of the south

Not really sure if he did sign them?

Before Walsh was here we signed a markedly different type of player tbh.

That said, he's forcing them square pegs into them round holes at any bastard opportunity...so maybe he did?

When we say 'wouldn't trust him with money' - if that's the case then fuck him off asap because we need a shit load of players. Imagine sitting here in the summer and Moshiri is like 'oh hello Jim, yes we will not be trying to sign any players because we don't trust him'. I'd burn the gaff down tbh.

Well exactly, like I said he has been in charge when most of them signed, so I would presume he was either the driving force or at least in agreement with Walsh on all of them.

September 30, 2017, 04:16:12 AM
Reply #896

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Well exactly, like I said he has been in charge when most of them signed, so I would presume he was either the driving force or at least in agreement with Walsh on all of them.

Unfortunately since Walsh has joined I'm afraid we can't infer the relationship imo.

Who does what and where does the buck stop? Not sure.

September 30, 2017, 04:20:29 AM
Reply #897

sam of the south

Unfortunately since Walsh has joined I'm afraid we can't infer the relationship imo.

I would imagine there is synergy.

Koeman doesn't strike me as the type who would want anyone signed for the first team without it being ran by him first.

September 30, 2017, 04:20:56 AM
Reply #898

van der Meyde

I think this is the crux of it. 

You would imagine though that as far as passers in midfield and strong defences go, he'd have a good gauge of Schneiderlin, Stekelenburg and Martina though?

It's probably a fair assumption, based on his history with them and comments he made about Schneiderlin, that those 3 were part-driven by him.

September 30, 2017, 04:40:41 AM
Reply #899

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think this is the crux of it. 

You would imagine though that as far as passers in midfield and strong defences go, he'd have a good gauge of Schneiderlin, Stekelenburg and Martina though?

It's probably a fair assumption, based on his history with them and comments he made about Schneiderlin, that those 3 were part-driven by him.

Still a lot of guessing and assuming going on but yes you would think so.

I do think Schneiderlin is probably our best passer from deep now Barry has gone. Although a few green shoots from Baines this week despite the result.

Jags, Williams, Keane all hoofers primarily.

Martina can cross a ball (which Holgate cannot) and was clearly a plug-the-gap signing while we get Coleman back and work out if Kenny is shit.

Stekelenburg did a similar job and quite well, has since been replaced.