October 16, 2018, 06:18:53 AM

Poll

What should we do? (RESET 29 SEPTEMBER, AFTER LIMASSOL GAME)

Fire him now before our season goes tits up
Give him till Christmas.. If performances and results aren't where they should be for what he's spent, he's out
Let's just see how things are at the end of the season
The season has barely begun, he's a great manager and we should get 100% behind him
Ohhh Davey Moyes, Davey Davey Davey Moyes...
Fuck off with your polls, you cunt

Author Topic: Should we sack Koeman?  (Read 104896 times)

September 11, 2017, 02:33:40 AM
Read 104896 times

Rhys

Well it is mainly Koeman's job, isn't it? Fuck me!

Not really no that's not his area. He might identify some players, he might discuss players with walsh and the scouting team but the recruitment of players isnt his responsibility or area. It's down to Walsh and the board so that is definitely their error in not getting a forward.

Unless they offered Koeman some late on and he said no, which given we got Valencia rather than do nothing last summer I doubt he would have declined someone rather than be left with what we have.

September 15, 2017, 05:16:56 PM
Reply #1

Rhys

It's easy to get worked up about performances, and yes they have been poor. But people are kidding themselves saying that they matter. If we had won more games playing poorly, no one would care that much and that's a fact even if you don't want to admit it.

No but it gives a bit more comfort if we had lost these hard games but looked like we knew what we were doing. You can move along if perform well, can see where we are heading and think ok get these games out of the way, unlucky to not get more points but we have some better fixtures to pick up points from.

Whereas when you look as bad as we have done and not got the results it is bound to be magnified. 3 wins in the coming 3 home games could easily get a bit of momentum and see us start to perform better. But going into those 3 home games you cant be confident when we have performed so poorly in most games so far and there will be a lot of pressure going into them if we have another lifeless performance on sunday.

September 18, 2017, 01:00:14 AM
Reply #2

Rhys

One of the issues with the DoF role is the blurring of responsibilities and accountability.

For fans, it shouldn't for the club. The club should know what koeman has been responsible for and what Walsh is responsible for. It is our first attempt at the role so it is possible it isn't as well drilled in terms of who does what as some clubs might be.

But ultimately koeman should mainly be judged on how well he coaches the players, how well he gets the players he is given to perform and the results following that.

September 29, 2017, 06:15:21 AM
Reply #3

Rhys

You're kidding yourself if you think we have the slightest chance. He'll just wait till the end of the season and have some of the biggest clubs in the world as his options.

Maybe, it's a more realistic shout than someone like ancelotti though. Don't forget koeman is top 10 highest paid managers in the world, gets more than Conte and simeone. Dortmund are paying bosz 40k a week and can't imagine tuchel was on any different so we pay koeman nearly 4 times that amount.

He may look for better options, but he is out of work and throwing 7m a year at him would certainly be the biggest paid offer he would get and that is how you can tempt someone like that. It would be hard to turn down that kind of money over potential jobs at Chelsea who likely keep conte and Bayern who could wait until they get nagelsmann and end up with nothing.

October 02, 2017, 01:19:31 AM
Reply #4

Rhys

Yes, get on the blower to ancelotti ! Don't know why people think he would automatically turn us down. Big PL team with money and ambition? And even though koemans doing his best to prove otherwise. A team with a squad of very good players!!

Because in the last 20 years he's managed Juve, Milan, Chelsea, psg, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich. I'm not sure going to a team that's finished 7th last year, bottom half the two years before and is currently near the bottom of the table this is season is high on his list of wants no matter how much we threw at him. He'll wait for an arsenal, Chelsea type job over here.

He has spent the last 20 years working with the best players in the leagues with one of the top couple of teams in the leagues that's what he does, that's what he will want.

October 02, 2017, 01:44:38 AM
Reply #5

Rhys

As opposed to a young Dutch manager who was wooing everyone from Arsenal to Barcelona ,delighting the Premier with his achievements with a limited squad in an unfashionable club .A manager definitely on route to the very top.Look where that got us ! Pray tell me what an Arsenal or Chelsea type job might be then? Could it be Arsenal or even Chelsea ( the league winners )

Firstly koeman is only 4 years younger than ancelotti...

Secondly it wasn't a dig at what ancelotti is capable of. Yes he hasn't got proof he can build a team or develop an average team in to a top one in the past 20 years but clearly if we could get him we would be daft not to.

It was more a point around how we wouldn't even be a consideration for him in my opinion. Even if we threw 10-15m a year he doesn't need an extremely difficult job, he can get one of the best teams in most good leagues where has a very good chance of winning titles and champions leagues. That's what he has done for 20 years so I don't see why he would suddenly set his sights on Europa league qualification hopefuls after all he has achieved.

October 04, 2017, 05:49:52 AM
Reply #6

Rhys

2nd manager in 3 seasons now that the squad have seemingly given up on.

I was/am Martinez biggest critic but that doesn't look great does it.

I don't think it's just our players I think it's a football problem these days. Players know how quickly managers can get sacked, some can go 4 games into a season new in the job, others can go 4-5 games having had good seasons before. So they know the power they have in getting rid of someone if for whatever reason they don't want the manager around. With Roberto they might have found him clueless, koeman they might be thinking he has annoyed too many players.

But we've seen it a few times at Chelsea down the years, Leicester last season, Sunderland a few times as well. Not saying it is right or acceptable, but I think it's a symptom of how the game has gone with players holding the cards and clubs happy to get rid of multiple managers a season if they have to do achieve their aims.

October 20, 2017, 04:45:10 AM
Reply #7

Rhys

Lookman changed the match when he came on, someone who ran and commited the defenders. Holgate i'd want in the middle. Kenny didnt play, DCL played but had no full backs to whip crosses in..
Davies didnt play well.
I wanted Rooney or Gana in the middle.

not what i wanted at all. especially with a manager who doesn't know how to utalize his players, stick the youngsters in with a manager who wants to play football, not anti football.

Really don't see why people would be happy to put holgate in the middle yet for any reason other than Williams has been really poor this season and Keane very hit and miss.

Lookman is positive but not actually done that much when he has had minutes, for me impact sub.

DCL shouldn't be starting for us as he isn't good enough yet but due to our lack of options there he is the best option because he can offer pace in behind, compete in the air and hold the ball up to an OK level.

Davies was one of our best players tonight but can still see he is struggling for form.

If you ask united fans about Rooney in centre midfield they'd be telling us to steer well clear, no positional sense and all he has is a Hollywood pass was what they kept saying when lvg kept playing him there.

October 20, 2017, 04:53:15 AM
Reply #8

Rhys

Thought Davies wasn't that good tonight but his style of play earns him time with the fans. He got caught a lot of times on the ball and a couple of times in dangerous places.

That aouar for them looked a right player.

All that said, I don't think Davies is a dm and he was asked to fill in there second half

He did but I always like to give someone the benefit of the doubt when they don't hide from the ball and keep trying to do the right things. Someone like klaassen for instances vanishes, Davies might have got caught and passing been patchy but was involved. His form in general this season means he shouldn't be starting every game but performances of others in that position mean he can't have much time out.

October 23, 2017, 12:39:36 AM
Reply #9

Rhys

If we are going to sack him do it tonight give unsworth maximum time to prepare for the cup game.

If he is being told a bad performance and result against Chelsea and/or Leicester and he's gone then sack him tonight. Right now we have pretty much no chance of winning at Chelsea, even if it increases it to 5-10% by lifting the mood of the players and crowd it's worth it to have a chance of staying in a cup competition.

I would say hold off until next international break but the way things are going that's a long way away. Hopefully the club have been doing their jobs and searching and sounding out replacements already rather than sitting and seeing how it goes.

October 23, 2017, 05:59:10 PM
Reply #10

Rhys

I think give him the Chelsea game and after that do the deed and get rid. We're going to lose that game anyway, away from home against the Champions in a competition we're always shite in so little point in handing Unsworth a poison chalice. Bin Ron after that and let Unsworth prepare the team for Leicester game where we stand a better chance of getting off to a good start. I know that's complete loser talk from me but oh well.

Almost guaranteed to lose regardless you are probably right so why not get Rhino in for it and let him have a free swing? It's a cup competition when they will play a lot of fringe players surely worth having a crack with an outside chance of staying in it than guaranteed defeat as it feels right now?

October 23, 2017, 06:02:31 PM
Reply #11

Rhys

The thing is the more I think about it the more I think we won't be that much better off, even with another manager in charge.

Better off, but this season is fucked isn't it?

I reckon we would need about 1.6 points a game from here on in to be with a good chance of finishing 7th. I know it might not sound exciting but that was the most likely finishing position at the start of the season anyway. A new manager in who gets the players working towards something and fully motivated with the crowd behind everyone and that is a possibility. Who knows that might be enough to get into Europe again and even if not it would still be two years of being the team behind the top 6 which would make it a much easier selling point to potential new players about the long term plan than a team who has finished bottom half 3 years out of 4.

And of course the FA Cup.

October 23, 2017, 06:15:32 PM
Reply #12

Rhys

No chance of that. We don't score goals. A new manager might tighten us up at the back but he's not going to magic some firepower from anywhere until January, if at all this season.
I'd love to be proved wrong and any new man sets us up 4-4-2 and tells us to get down the flanks to actually try and create something but I still don't see where we're ever going to score more than two goals in any given game, which until we tighten up we need to do to stand a chance of winning a game of football and moving up the league.

But I dont think we need to do that to finish top 7, if we were looking at top 6 then yes. We should be able to be a lot more organised than we are, where the goals are coming from is an issue yes. But at the same time there is no way we should only have 2 players that have scored in the PL so far!

Last 5 seasons points that would be enough to finish 7th.

16/17 - 47
15/16 - 61
14/15 - 57
13/14 - 57
12/13 - 50

I think the top 6 are all of a consistently better level than for a while but the rest there are a lot more poorer teams than there used to be. At the start of the season most people would say we'd finish 7th, but after that it would be hard to make a case consistently for who would finish 8th I bet a lot of different people would pick a different team.

Not saying it would be easy but I do think if we got someone in place now it would be a possibility to go at 1.6 points per game and be around the 55 point mark especially with the hopeful addition of a good forward in January.