December 10, 2018, 10:30:43 PM

Poll

What should we do? (RESET 29 SEPTEMBER, AFTER LIMASSOL GAME)

Fire him now before our season goes tits up
Give him till Christmas.. If performances and results aren't where they should be for what he's spent, he's out
Let's just see how things are at the end of the season
The season has barely begun, he's a great manager and we should get 100% behind him
Ohhh Davey Moyes, Davey Davey Davey Moyes...
Fuck off with your polls, you cunt

Author Topic: Should we sack Koeman?  (Read 110085 times)

September 14, 2017, 05:31:44 PM
Read 110085 times

plumber

Could we close this silly thread please? This forum looks like poor man's RAWK with it.

September 30, 2017, 02:59:56 AM
Reply #1

plumber

That would be the Milan who have 12 points from 6 games in the league and are top of their Europa group with a 5 point gap to 3rd, would it? :)

This caught my interest on a good day though, so I've spent a bit of time having a look at how your points total and goal difference varies with both number of players brought in and for those that lost an important attacker. The big caveat is that the search methodology used to collate examples would never pass peer review for publication.

There are also many limitations to this kind of analysis, which is why it's not really done. How do you rigorously account for confounding factors? Is the amount actually spent important when assessing this, probably but when heavy inflation is involved there's not a simple way to account for that. I've limited this to summer transfer windows and the first 6 games of the season through laziness; you'd hope that factors like fixture difficulty and transfers late in the transfer window will average out, but it's not easy to test for that. This data is over a number of different leagues, how does average league strength affect the results? How

All that said, here's a load of useless stats!

In this dataset, 23 teams signed 6 or more players (average of 8) in the transfer window, with 12 of these teams losing at least one star attacking player. The median finishing position the season before was 7th and after 6 games, the average number of points was 10.8 with a goal difference of +3.08. There was no relationship between number of players signed and points total, but there was a weak correlation (r = -0.37 for the maths nerds) between number of players signed and goal difference, with teams that signed more players having a slightly worse goal difference.

Here's a graph showing all that crap...

So, we might be a bit below average, but 4 other teams have picked up 7 points or less in this small group of teams. Brendan Rodgers was sacked in 2014/15 with Liverpool on 7 points, going on to finish 6th; the next season Koeman's Southampton had 6 points from the first 6 games, but went on to finish 6th. Sevilla went on to finish 5th and 7th after their poor starts.

For wider context, after 6 games, the average team will have picked up 8.3 points after 6 games. So given the games we've played, we're not really that far behind in terms of points given our fixtures.

The other main question is how other teams have done after losing a key attacker. The average number of points for a team that's not established in the top 4 and has lost a key attacker (n=12) is 9.5 with a goal difference of around 2. There's a stronger relationship between goal difference and number of players signed (r = -0.56; -0.70 if you exclude us this season).

As I said before, there are many limiting factors to any kind of analysis along these lines. Even then, it probably does indicate that we should be more considerate of the situation.

I can't really say it's changed my mind on Koeman though personally. It's more about the process than the results for me. :)

(Oh, and if anybody wants to look at the teams I included in all this, the spreadsheet is here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0ZHi3fNbv1TTUNPdk0zTmtMbWM)

I think you should try to find a girlfriend.

October 01, 2017, 02:57:07 PM
Reply #2

plumber

I've always hated Raphael Beaneathus, but the lulz would be heavy if he somehow came to us.

i know you stated nothing of the sort, but you mentioned Newcastle and managers, I feel he's a much better tactical manager, much better man motivator, and someone who has won titles almost everywhere he has managed. big upgrade on Koeman.. imho. but its never happening..

Thank God for that.

October 01, 2017, 05:20:49 PM
Reply #3

plumber

I wonder if Southampton fans two years ago, before Koeman turned things around and they finished in the highest ever Premier League place with the highest ever Premier League points total, were  reacting in the same way Everton fans are reacting now. Or are we the special breed of bedwetters and crybabies?

October 01, 2017, 05:45:47 PM
Reply #4

plumber

that Southampton team played well, they where attacking, fluid, they showed heart and passion, they where determined to do well..

nothing like Koemans Everton.

That's bullshit.  They were really poor in the first half of the season and were sitting in the bottom half for the reason. There was a spell (from November to January I think) when they lost 8 of 10 games. We are far from that at the moment.

October 01, 2017, 07:16:04 PM
Reply #5

plumber

Are all these "spells" acceptable from a top premier league manager?

It's hardly cry arsing not wanting to see that sort of thing continually repeat itself is it.

Didn't mean to like it  :)

Do you think it's avoidable? Better managers than Koeman and better teams than Everton has bad patches. I'm fine with this unless that patch lasts 2 years.

October 07, 2017, 07:54:08 PM
Reply #6

plumber

No wonder Lookman is looking to leave.

Yet another fantasy of "Koeman left Everton" ilk.

October 08, 2017, 01:21:56 AM
Reply #7

plumber

?? are you saying Lookman hasnt been linked to london clubs this past week?

how would you feel if you was Lookman. seeing we had no width and just sitting on the bench, knowing he could do better.. but nope lets bring on Sandro and Klaassen again as thats worked so well every other time we have tried it.

aganst Apollon and Burnley he was left on the bench while we brough on Sandro and Rooney. 2 players who hate going anywhere near the box., while the best attacking option on the bench (Lookman) was left on the bench again.

or are you of the ilk that if Koeman keeps trying what hasnt worked yet, it will eventually work??

lol, hes been linked with spurs today, palace yesterday..

awesome work by Koeman, by making one of our best youngsters want to leave, not even offering him the last 10 mins in games,

Koeman is a shambles of a manager. He'll sell a winger to buy another number 10.

You are a really queer gentleman.  How have you come to the conclusion that Lookman wants to leave from the fact that he was linked with Spurs and Palace in some toilet papers?

October 08, 2017, 04:08:53 PM
Reply #8

plumber

It is such a gay* place sometimes.

*hillarious, funny, jolly, playful

October 08, 2017, 07:01:08 PM
Reply #9

plumber

As written thought out statements go it was a doozie really.

Can I ask you a question?
Have you changed your mind and now think that is wrong to back an inept manager for 2 years?

October 08, 2017, 07:35:40 PM
Reply #10

plumber

2 semifinals  lolol I almost forgot this phenomenal achievement.

It's nice to know someone still loves Bobby after 2 years of utter dross he was producing.
(And wants to rid off another manager after 2 months of utter dross).

October 17, 2017, 01:46:41 AM
Reply #11

plumber

Gana is not a "pure defensive midfielder"really. He has no discipline and brain to play as a single DM. He is the best at playing a bit higher and harassing opponents.
Schneiderlin could do this job, but he's a bit shit at the moment. And our defense is poor even with 2 defensive midfielders so it's scary to think how would it look with one.

Last season our three man midfield was quite effective and balanced (though not very creative) with Morgan playing deeper,  Davies higher and Gana in between. I'm not sure what happened. Schneiderlin's form doesn't help but there is something else.

October 17, 2017, 02:17:52 AM
Reply #12

plumber

no ross barkley and lukaku?

Lukaku without saying, Barkley not so sure. But yes, compared to our recent attacking players he was decent.