October 22, 2018, 09:39:54 PM

Poll

What should we do? (RESET 29 SEPTEMBER, AFTER LIMASSOL GAME)

Fire him now before our season goes tits up
Give him till Christmas.. If performances and results aren't where they should be for what he's spent, he's out
Let's just see how things are at the end of the season
The season has barely begun, he's a great manager and we should get 100% behind him
Ohhh Davey Moyes, Davey Davey Davey Moyes...
Fuck off with your polls, you cunt

Author Topic: Should we sack Koeman?  (Read 105821 times)

October 01, 2017, 10:25:49 PM
Reply #15

kramer0

Some facts about our build-up play this season. All from before today's game but still interesting.

https://twitter.com/deepxg/status/914502639315976193

https://twitter.com/deepxg/status/912959126497562624

https://twitter.com/footballfactman/status/914103820267003905

Note: That pass was from Davies to Niasse.

Here's a video that describes some of the build-up issues using a few clips from the Bournemouth match.

https://twitter.com/footballfactman/status/914444428131160064

Our ineffectiveness with the ball is killing us. Not only is it hard for us to score, but we're having trouble keeping clean sheets because the ball is coming back at us more than it should. Something is wrong systemically and Koeman doesn't appear to have a clue about how to fix it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:30:21 PM by kramer0 »

October 02, 2017, 03:34:46 AM
Reply #16

kramer0

The sooner we make a change, the better. The new manager boost is our best chance of salvaging anything from this season and, generally speaking, probably our best chance of seeing a product on the field that we can actually enjoy.

At this point, I think our best move is to sack Koeman and Walsh, hire Unsworth as interim manager until the end of the season, and focus on doing an in-depth search for a qualified director of football. That is, someone who can help not only with recruitment but also with managerial appointments and the hiring of other backroom staff. This is the most important position at the club and we can't have another rush job like Walsh. It would be worth it for us to pay top dollar to get the very best DoF we can because the biggest edge for us to exploit is in the market for backroom staff, not in the market for players (where the richest clubs reign supreme).

I know Unsworth will be unpopular so let me explain why I think it's the right move for the rest of the season:

- We have enough to talent to stay clear of a relegation scrap.
- Unsworth's U23s are always well-organized, which is a 100% transferable skill to first-team management. He might get schooled by more experienced managers on occasion but we will not suddenly become a shambles (or more shambolic than we already are). He wouldn't be doing so well at the level he's at if his side wasn't disciplined tactically.
- Whatever tactical nous (not much on current form) or "experience" we lose by letting Koeman go will be offset by the improvement in man management. The U23s will pretty much run through a wall for this guy. Maybe his act won't be as effective on older pros but keep in mind that we have a lot of young, hungry players who are already important contributors (Pickford, Keane, Holgate, Kenny, Davies, Klaassen, Vlasic, Lookman, Sandro, Calvert-Lewin, etc.). There's plenty there for him to work with, and a lot of those players already love and respect him. Plus, I have to imagine that he'll be pretty popular with a lot of the old guard, like Coleman, Baines, and Jagielka.
- Investing more minutes in the younger players now will pay dividends down the road.

I doubt we do anything at all but, if we do decide to act, I think that's our best play. As much as I'd like someone like Tuchel, I'm afraid that we'll continue to be a mess if we rush into finding a manager before we take care of the larger backroom problems at the club. (And if the backroom problems are Moshiri and Kenwright? Then we're well and truly fucked and no director of football or manager is going to sort it out, which is the scariest scenario and one that I prefer not to think about.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:47:06 AM by kramer0 »

October 02, 2017, 05:07:12 AM
Reply #17

kramer0

Frustrating but not surprising.

October 10, 2017, 10:27:21 PM
Reply #19

kramer0

The Mazzarri stuff has to be nonsense.

He would be an embarrassing appointment. Moshiri-doesn't-have-a-clue embarrassing.

October 11, 2017, 09:40:20 PM
Reply #20

kramer0

Would benefit everyone involved if he jumped ship for the national team job.

October 16, 2017, 10:59:05 PM
Reply #21

kramer0

Whatever happens, it's time to make a big adjustment in midfield. I pointed this out a few times in the match thread and I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record but Gana is effectively playing as our midfield playmaker. Or, in other words, we're regularly asking our worst midfield passer to make the most important passes in/into the final third. This is, to put it kindly, sub-optimal. When you look at how we're building attacks, it's not much of a surprise that we can't make the ball stick in the final third.

I think we'd be a lot more effective with one pure defensive midfielder (Schneiderlin or Gana) and two box-to-box types (any two of Davies, Sigurdsson, or Klaassen). This sort of arrangement isn't going to magically solve our attacking issues (which run deep) but it'll at least give us a little extra possession in the final third, which means more opportunities to pass or cross into the box.

October 20, 2017, 08:34:41 PM
Reply #22

kramer0

The fact that he rates Cuco Martina should be enough to sack him.

Has anyone noticed that our opponents leave that side of the pitch open every time he plays? The reason Cuco gets on the ball so much is because that's what the opposition wants. Nothing good happens after he touches the ball early in a build-up. There was one point in yesterday's match where Calvert-Lewin did some great work to retain the ball in the middle of the pitch and, as he was dribbling out to the left, Martina was totally unmarked in space. Calvert-Lewin held the ball for as long as he could have looking for another option before finally passing him the ball.

Cuco seems like a good guy and all and the Koemans clearly like him, but neither of those are good reasons for signing a player. If the club is truly ambitious, there are certain baseline requirements for player quality and he plainly does not meet them.

October 20, 2017, 11:58:51 PM
Reply #23

kramer0

Apologies in advance for putting so many tweets into one post. This is going to be massive but I wanted to share it anyway.

Paul Riley is an Evertonian who provides some good, free Premier League analytics content. His takes on the club are usually pretty blunt, and at least of few of them are likely to piss you off, but this collection of old tweets provides a pretty good overview of a lot of what we've done since we sacked Martinez and how poor so many of those decisions have been.

Edit: That is way too big. Posting the first and last in the series, go to his Twitter account for the rest.

https://twitter.com/footballfactman/status/921272487488512000

https://twitter.com/footballfactman/status/921272762978783233

The kicker, and what the club really needs to consider going forward. Having a strong analytics presence at Everton might not be enough for us to conquer European football but it can at least prevent us from making more bad decisions.

https://twitter.com/ollie_shapiro/status/921298008280653824

https://twitter.com/footballfactman/status/921331657893924864
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:01:52 AM by kramer0 »

October 21, 2017, 12:14:30 AM
Reply #24

kramer0

@kramer0  I thought you were Paul Riley.  :laugh:

Nah. I've viewed everything we've done - hiring Koeman, hiring Walsh afterwards, etc. - from a "Moshiri owned shares in Arsenal, he should know what he's doing" point-of-view. I didn't see any of this coming.

I'm now starting to worry that Moshiri only hired Koeman, and then Walsh, because Arsenal had sniffed around both of them at one point or another and that what Arsenal are thinking is the extent of his football knowledge.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 12:20:02 AM by kramer0 »