December 16, 2018, 03:25:27 PM

Poll

What should we do? (RESET 29 SEPTEMBER, AFTER LIMASSOL GAME)

Fire him now before our season goes tits up
Give him till Christmas.. If performances and results aren't where they should be for what he's spent, he's out
Let's just see how things are at the end of the season
The season has barely begun, he's a great manager and we should get 100% behind him
Ohhh Davey Moyes, Davey Davey Davey Moyes...
Fuck off with your polls, you cunt

Author Topic: Should we sack Koeman?  (Read 110885 times)

September 30, 2017, 04:20:56 AM
Reply #15

van der Meyde

Unfortunately since Walsh has joined I'm afraid we can't infer the relationship imo.

Who does what and where does the buck stop? Not sure.
I think this is the crux of it. 

You would imagine though that as far as passers in midfield and strong defences go, he'd have a good gauge of Schneiderlin, Stekelenburg and Martina though?

It's probably a fair assumption, based on his history with them and comments he made about Schneiderlin, that those 3 were part-driven by him.

September 30, 2017, 05:16:48 AM
Reply #16

van der Meyde

Still a lot of guessing and assuming going on but yes you would think so.
Honestly, who the fuck's to know. In Belfodil there's at least one case where Koeman's reportedly had doubts about a player and the deal has fell through.

There are whispers from multiple people that Koeman and Kenwright don't trust Walsh, with a worryingly opaque reference from a pretty reputable ITK on another site that Walsh "brings baggage" and "wouldn't have been appointed by somebody with knowledge of transfers".

Fuck knows, but it's definitely worrying.

October 02, 2017, 04:06:37 PM
Reply #17

van der Meyde

We're not gonna win a cup with or without Koeman.

We're gonna finish in the top half with of without Koeman.

We'll possibly revert to our mean a little quicker if he was sacked, but there are loads of questions either way.

Sacking Martinez before the United semi would have made sense because there was a serious chance of a trophy at stake. We were the second best team left in the competition with two games to play. We're not close to that with either the Europa League or the League Cup.

I'd just like the decision to be made with a long term view. Walsh and Koeman both need looking at, the decision-making structure in place needs to be addressed first.

October 16, 2017, 04:49:32 AM
Reply #18

van der Meyde

Seen a few truly dreadful shouts around about who should replace him which really make me question the decision. :)

October 16, 2017, 08:10:28 AM
Reply #19

van der Meyde

Don't let that put you off. Some of our fellow blues are dreadfully unimaginative. I've genuinely seen people suggesting Moyes and Martinez(argghh!!!). Stockholm syndrome is a muthafucka.
It's not the fans' lack of imagination I worry about. Just look at our summer transfer business! ;)

I just want us to put some intelligent thought into our next appointment. Decide what qualities we want in a new manager - developing youth players would be a priority for me - and bring in somebody who demonstrably meets them.

October 17, 2017, 03:28:08 PM
Reply #20

van der Meyde

as frustrated as I was at times with barkley running into brick walls and losing possession maybe he fulfilled a vital role in pegging back the opposition and putting them on their back heels in a way none of our players currently do.
Personally think Barkley played an underappreciated role in helping to transition from defence to attack. The one thing he never did was hide, he was always available for the pass and generally helped retain possession. From a 'creating great chances' perspective, he unquestionably held on to the ball too long. What he did well though was keep it long enough that we could at least actually mount an attack (and relieve defensive pressure) - things we seem incapable of doing at times this season.

October 17, 2017, 06:40:17 PM
Reply #21

van der Meyde

We've got midweek games or internationals up until mid-December.

Koeman's alluded to the difficulties he's faced not being able to rectify problems on the training or drill it in to them in preseason.

That problem would no doubt be exacerbated if we were to bring in a manager with a completely different style of play. Even with a relatively quiet opening few months, Palace struggled with de Boer.

Not a simple situation at all really. Hopefully the penny has dropped a little with the team selections though and we might start seeing more functional looking 11s - without Sigurdsson wide left - more regularly now.

We might see a small 'new manager bounce' (these generally don't last that long...) if we sacked Koeman, but it's not a situation I'd want to throw anyone completely new in to. That's probably why I'd err on the side of an internal interim appointment personally.

October 20, 2017, 04:15:26 PM
Reply #22

van der Meyde

I feel sorry for Koeman really.

Though I think he could be doing better with the hand given to him, it's not an easy one. We still have a decent - if imbalanced - squad though. Koeman's struggled to incorporate the new arrivals, which isn't helped by his chopping and changing the team. You'd imagine the lack of training time at Finch Farm with midweek games is hindering him too, but that's an excuse. He should know much more about what the players are capable of at this point.

It's definitely possible to succeed playing in both the league and Europa League. Good teams do it every season, the problem is good teams usually have predictable starting 11s and he's without 3 of our best players from last season.

October 21, 2017, 01:03:11 AM
Reply #23

van der Meyde

Nah. I've viewed everything we've done - hiring Koeman, hiring Walsh afterwards, etc. - from a "Moshiri owned shares in Arsenal, he should know what he's doing" point-of-view. I didn't see any of this coming.

I'm now starting to worry that Moshiri only hired Koeman, and then Walsh, because Arsenal had sniffed around both of them at one point or another and that what Arsenal are thinking is the extent of his football knowledge.
Wouldn't have been an unreasonable assumption, given he was advised by 21st Club prior to the investment.

October 23, 2017, 06:33:08 PM
Reply #24

van der Meyde

It doesn't make sense to give Koeman a stay of execution until after the Chelsea match.

If it's the right decision to sack him on Thursday, it's the right decision to sack him now.

We might not be playing well, but I personally expect our league results are likely to improve with or without Koeman over the next month. We've come a cropper playing against teams who are considerably better or more organised than we are. We're not playing many of them until mid-December now.