October 21, 2017, 07:13:56 PM

Author Topic: Best & worst players you've seen play for the Blues?  (Read 2904 times)

September 11, 2017, 05:20:57 PM
Reply #105

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Don't get me wrong, he was terrible, it's just that I feel some of the older members (and I'm gutted to include myself in that) will remember far worse.

Sorry if you took what I wrote as being condescending, it was meant as light hearted.

And you probably remember Everton actually winning something.

Gutted for you.

deCoubertin

September 11, 2017, 05:47:36 PM
Reply #106

Rhys

There has been some bad players especially during the 90s or early 200s.

Have to throw Anderson Silva in there. Only played for about 5 minutes for us off the bench but from what I remember of it he genuinely didnt look like he knew where to stand or what to do. Probably made worse by us signing him and needing to wait about 2 years for him to be able to play because of a work permit. Then get 5 minutes, look clueless and get shipped out.

Some other players who I just remember thinking they were awful people like Tony Thomas, Paul Holmes, Peter Degn, Claus Thomsen, John Spencer, Danny Williamson.

Nyarko was obviously really bad but he had the odd game where he looked brilliant just must have had a dreadful attitude. I remember his debut away at Leeds we lost 2-0 but he looked a good signing then scored at Spurs a few weeks later thought we'd found a player. Dont remember him running around after that.

Cant have shouts like Phil Neville, he'd have been one our best players at times in the 90s.

September 11, 2017, 05:54:26 PM
Reply #107

Cereal Killer

So much shit to sift through, I'll leave my favourites here:

Kearton, Westerveld, Wessels, Baardsen, Tiler, Hottiger, Clarke, Senderos, Neill, Ferrari, Thomsen, Gemmil, Spencer, Tal, Atsu, Durrant, McCann, Chadwick, Branch, Angell, Niasse

September 11, 2017, 05:56:25 PM
Reply #108

hill135

What about Anthony Gardner? Did he even make an appearance?

September 11, 2017, 06:11:38 PM
Reply #109

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
So much shit to sift through, I'll leave my favourites here:

Kearton, Westerveld, Wessels, Baardsen, Tiler, Hottiger, Clarke, Senderos, Neill, Ferrari, Thomsen, Gemmil, Spencer, Tal, Atsu, Durrant, McCann, Chadwick, Branch, Angell, Niasse

Not having Ferrari at all there

September 11, 2017, 06:21:45 PM
Reply #110

Django

Best - Arteta or Saha when he could be assed was outstanding to watch.

Worst -
I have to say, whilst we've had more than a fair share of shite to put up with over the years, I have to list Phil Neville as the worst player I've ever seen - the amount of years we had to put up with those pathetic dinked passes and the fact he was captain left me embarrassed to call myself an Evertonian at times.

September 11, 2017, 06:23:02 PM
Reply #111

Jamokachi

And you probably remember Everton actually winning something.

Gutted for you.

Just ;)

September 11, 2017, 06:28:31 PM
Reply #112

hill135

I actually read an article a few years ago which showed that we picked up more points-per-game with Neville in midfield than we did without him there.

Couldn't for the life of me work out why this was the case.

September 11, 2017, 06:31:39 PM
Reply #113

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I know I always make the point about Senderos. Average as hell player and not that I think we should have signed him personally but just a reminder that he played 3 games for us and we didn't concede any goals while he was on the pitch and his job was to defend

No fucking chance that he can be listed alongside some of the total shite that have turned out for us over the years!

Also Idan Tal was alright!scored a decent goal against Boro!some players never scored at all!again no chance is he the worst player in our history

Scott Gemmill played a big part in helping us stay up. Limited player but slight cult hero status I reckon!
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

September 11, 2017, 06:33:21 PM
Reply #114

Shogun

Administrator
Don't get me wrong, he was terrible, it's just that I feel some of the older members (and I'm gutted to include myself in that) will remember far worse.

Sorry if you took what I wrote as being condescending, it was meant as light hearted.

Yeah apologies, I only took it the way because I detest the man.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

September 11, 2017, 06:33:41 PM
Reply #115

Jamokachi

Scott Gemmill played a big part in helping us stay up. Limited player but slight cult hero status I reckon!

Just to be clear, I didn't list him as one of the worst, just most hated. Agreed on the other points too. People are letting their feelings for a player determine how much talent they had.

September 11, 2017, 06:34:19 PM
Reply #116

Jamokachi

Yeah apologies, I only took it the way because I detest the man.

I feel like we would have bonded over Gemill ;)

September 11, 2017, 06:56:10 PM
Reply #117

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
I actually read an article a few years ago which showed that we picked up more points-per-game with Neville in midfield than we did without him there.

Couldn't for the life of me work out why this was the case.

He must have very good tactical appreciation and positional awareness etc.

Re the chipped passes, they're actually something that lots of managers would appreciate as it's a player taking on the responsibility of moving the team forward (albeit not very well).

Players have to be brave on the ball and that means risks in terms of play but also risks in terms of what the crowd do if it goes wrong. Otherwise it just goes sideways or backwards.

September 11, 2017, 06:57:47 PM
Reply #118

Toddacelli

Trevor Steven/Neville Southall (impossible to separate)

Mark Pembridge

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

September 11, 2017, 06:58:00 PM
Reply #119

The Analog Kid

Paul Gerrard never filled me with confidence.

I remember he fell foul of the Gwladdy, after getting abuse for weeks he just turned round to the fans and gave it the wanker gesture.