October 23, 2017, 02:50:55 PM

Author Topic: The formation against Spurs  (Read 843 times)

September 12, 2017, 09:36:55 PM
Reply #15

eyesalwaysblue

Don't think Davies is out of form they are all struggling in a team that's confused about what's being asked of them just like Martinez's team was.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

deCoubertin

September 12, 2017, 10:02:52 PM
Reply #16

Lxxx

The issue Davies has is that his best position is currently occupied by Rooney/Klaassan/Sigurdsson and he's being moved around to accommodate them. Kind of adds more weight to the argument that we went overboard in the summer recruiting the same type of player.

September 12, 2017, 10:12:52 PM
Reply #17

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
But I wouldn't say that he's that type of player for the future.

He's worked well there as we needed energy in that position but those other players also work hard.

I agree that he's not a deep midfielder in the same way that Gueye isn't that type of player but he should be able to play along side Schneiderlin (I know he didn't vs Chelsea) in future if needed.

I would say he's a rounded enough player to not let playing slightly tweaked roles affect his form to a significant degree.

I think it's probably just a bad patch of form at the wrong time. 

September 12, 2017, 10:13:26 PM
Reply #18

everton1952

Davies has not had a decent game for a while. I am sure he will come good with the right advice and coaching. When the team is in shit street morale wise it is no place for youngsters. He is no Rooney at that age. Older heads, however limited some of them might be, are preferable, until things straighten out. We are in danger of heading for parity with the likes of Watford and West Ham. Could not see that coming last season at all. But I regard it as a hiccup on the road to progress. Koeman has to sort it out or head for the exit in April 2018.

September 12, 2017, 10:25:56 PM
Reply #19

Lxxx

But I wouldn't say that he's that type of player for the future.

He's worked well there as we needed energy in that position but those other players also work hard.

I agree that he's not a deep midfielder in the same way that Gueye isn't that type of player but he should be able to play along side Schneiderlin (I know he didn't vs Chelsea) in future if needed.

I would say he's a rounded enough player to not let playing slightly tweaked roles affect his form to a significant degree.

I think it's probably just a bad patch of form at the wrong time. 

Davies likes to pick up the ball and move forward with it though. His energy, if he plays next to Schneiderlin, takes him straight onto the toes of Rooney/Klaassan/Sig and leaves him nowhere for either him or the ball to go when he picks his head up. No-one pulling wide to stretch the full backs, no-one making a run on the shoulder of the last defender to push the centre backs onto their heels. It's no wonder he and everyone else look a little lost and poor at the moment, you could throw a blanket over about 6 players for most of the game.

September 12, 2017, 10:59:32 PM
Reply #20

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
I do think Davies' form is in part related to the players we've brought in.

Rooney for example does bring many good qualities, but when we set ourselves up in deference to bring him into the game it can have unintended knock on effects and why I'd want to see us experiment with using Rooney as the sub. I don't just mean in terms of where he's playing and the spaces he either occupies or leaves when he roams around, but also the fact that no other player on the pitch acts as a magnet so much as Rooney does.

There are parallels between us and the last few years of the England national team.

September 13, 2017, 12:35:44 AM
Reply #21

eyesalwaysblue

The issue Davies has is that his best position is currently occupied by Rooney/Klaassan/Sigurdsson and he's being moved around to accommodate them. Kind of adds more weight to the argument that we went overboard in the summer recruiting the same type of player.
You'd think with the number of midfielders we've ended up with one of them could be appointed to help Baines out Peanuts style to go forward down the left, all he can do at the moment is look to pass back or at best in side square, it's all so predictable and narrow and a piece of cake for opposition to counter as it is.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

September 13, 2017, 12:38:15 AM
Reply #22

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I still don't see Davies as a number ten

Simply simply lovely

September 13, 2017, 01:23:27 AM
Reply #23

Marky Mark and the funky

Davies = 8

September 13, 2017, 01:23:56 AM
Reply #24

Lxxx

I don't think he is a No 10, he's more of a box to box midfielder but in the 4-2-3-1 formation we play he doesn't get to do that. He's stifled because we lack genuine width and once he breaks out the centre circle he has three other players on his toes. He also has a centre forward coming deep too. There is no movement left and right, nothing going the other way either so it all becomes congested and narrow and he has to play a 5 yard pass. So does Gana. So does Schneiderlin.