November 24, 2017, 10:00:23 AM

Author Topic: The Defence  (Read 4096 times)

September 14, 2017, 04:39:13 PM
Reply #105

Toddacelli

In a 'backs to the wall, defend your own 6 yard box' he's alright at throwing his body and head at things. I'd like to think we're aiming for a higher standard of play these days though.

This is the same thing I was going to say. He's last-ditch but I'm sure some great defender said something along the lines of:

"If I have to make a tackle - then I have already made a mistake."

So from where Williams is throwing himself around and making goal-line clearances his quote is probably along the lines of:

"I already fucked up massively twice and now I have to risk a boot to the bollocks to make up for it."

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

deCoubertin

September 14, 2017, 04:46:50 PM
Reply #106

Lxxx

This is the same thing I was going to say. He's last-ditch but I'm sure some great defender said something along the lines of:

"If I have to make a tackle - then I have already made a mistake."

So from where Williams is throwing himself around and making goal-line clearances his quote is probably along the lines of:

"I already fucked up massively twice and now I have to risk a boot to the bollocks to make up for it."

It's how I tend to differentiate between great defenders, like Rio Ferdinand, and good defenders, like Jamie Carragher.

September 14, 2017, 05:52:57 PM
Reply #107

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
He's absolute bobbins

September 14, 2017, 06:23:38 PM
Reply #108

Macca77

Jags should start instead of Williams

The end.

September 14, 2017, 06:56:25 PM
Reply #109

Lxxx

Plus he looks in poor shape for an athlete who is supposed to be at the top of his profession. He seems overweight to me, now whether that's too much muscle or just weight gain as he ages but he gets turned much too easily and players leave him for dead every week. He's not as lean as when he joined anyway.

September 14, 2017, 07:53:15 PM
Reply #110

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Neither defender can step out on the front foot.

Neither is any good on the ball.

I'd have John stones over any of them at the club tbh.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 14, 2017, 08:09:59 PM
Reply #111

Toddacelli

Keane tried it a bit for England in the Germany match and looked ok.

Hard to tell really though as we got schooled.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

September 14, 2017, 08:38:49 PM
Reply #112

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber

Keane over stones any day for me.

The perfect blend of the two.

September 14, 2017, 10:10:50 PM
Reply #113

Evertonian in NC

Methinks he meant "Stones all day" over Jags or Williams.  Even then, I'm not too certain (over Jags, based on current form - obviously, Stones has much more long-term value).

Really wish we had brought in a Lemos or someone of that ilk.  Or someone capable of covering RB (not in the way Martina "covers" it) so that Holgate could immediately move back to CB.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 15, 2017, 12:46:00 AM
Reply #114

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Keane over stones any day for me.

The perfect blend of the two.

Bang average player.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 15, 2017, 01:00:27 AM
Reply #115

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Williams has been shit tonight 😉
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

September 15, 2017, 02:02:03 AM
Reply #116

BlueForYou

Has to be three centre backs for Sunday:

Keane on the right, Schneiderlin in the middle, Pickford on the left

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

September 15, 2017, 02:29:13 AM
Reply #117

Lxxx

No Lemos shouts. Please.

September 15, 2017, 02:33:16 AM
Reply #118

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
No Lemos shouts. Please.

What about Lemons? Oh we have plenty of them
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

September 15, 2017, 02:41:12 AM
Reply #119

Juanito

Starting to think it's not the defence but the players not playing for the manager. If he is brutally honest on tv how must he be face to face? We finished 4th with ok ish defenders and a work horse upfront who only scored 7 goals. Team spirit and unity go a long way and Koeman appears to have lost this side and the new players look lost.