December 19, 2017, 04:34:40 AM

Author Topic: Worst match this century?  (Read 3033 times)

September 17, 2017, 03:22:41 PM
Reply #45

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Middlesboro 3 Everton 0 in the FA Cup the last game of Walter Smith, christ that was depressing.

Annoyed me so much I felt the need to look the side up...

Everton: Simonsen, Pistone, Stubbs, Weir, Unsworth, Clarke, Gascoigne, Gemmill (Blomqvist 73), Linderoth (Alexandersson 45), Radzinski, Moore (Chadwick 45). Subs Not Used: Gerrard, Cleland.

This on the BBC archive for it

Will I stay? Definitely. I will soldier on, I have done so before and I will do so again 
Everton manager Walter Smith

The worst thing about that day for me was the fact that they had just put a TV in the Men's Bar at the club and I was working. Sunday lunchtimes were always busy and the stick I took that day was fucking unreal. Then I did the night shift too and all the other blokes rubbed it in. Character building days for me under Walter
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

deCoubertin

September 17, 2017, 03:51:45 PM
Reply #46

van der Meyde

Having just finished 17th and with Rooney a cert to leave, I thought we were bound to be relegated into obscurity when Arsenal thumped us 4-1 at Goodison opening day of 2004/05.

September 17, 2017, 04:01:30 PM
Reply #47

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Couple of years ago when Gerrard scored a hattrick against us. Shite that game.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

September 17, 2017, 07:36:35 PM
Reply #48

toffee_scot

Oh and speaking of capitulations, the 5-2 in Kiev when we kept attacking after Lukaku put us 3-2 ahead on agg instead of using common sense and keeping it tight, leading them to take constant pot shots that found the net

Oh yeah that was a depressing game - I still don't know to this day the position that Alcaraz was supposed to be playing.

September 17, 2017, 07:45:37 PM
Reply #49

Marky Mark and the funky

Oh yeah that was a depressing game - I still don't know to this day the position that Alcaraz was supposed to be playing.

Alcaraz main purpose was to stop the opposition escaping him too easily, unfortunately they had him sussed down to a 't'.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:46:52 PM by Marky Mark and the funky »

September 18, 2017, 04:35:51 AM
Reply #50

everton1952

Losing 5-0 to the Shite at Everton with Rush scoring 4? and hearing Paisley expressing sympathy for "one half of Merseyside".
The other was losing 4-0 at home to the Shite in FA Cup 4th round 1954 or 1955. My Mum later told me she said to my Dad "when he comes in don't mention the game". I went to bed with no tea when I got home. Losing 3-1 to the Shite at Wembley and driving home with 3 Shite fans. I could go on but won't.

September 18, 2017, 04:36:14 AM
Reply #51

everton1952

Wrong century but who gives a fuck?

September 18, 2017, 05:23:25 AM
Reply #52

kramer0

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30600837

The 2-0 loss to Hull on New Year's Day is worth a mention. Our lineup was completely bonkers and we lost comfortably to what was a really poor opponent. It felt like we might get dragged into a relegation battle just one season after looking like we were capable of challenging the top four.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 06:26:38 AM by kramer0 »

September 18, 2017, 05:31:14 AM
Reply #53

sam of the south

The only thing that died that day was Neville's career,midway through the first half.

Every cloud
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

September 18, 2017, 05:49:24 AM
Reply #54

Rhys

Oh and Middlesbrough away in 2000/2001 3-0 I think it was, I smashed my pool room up in the pub it was horrific.

That was horrendous. 6000 fans gone there for a quarter final and absolutely dreadful. Plus side of it was felt like it had to be the end for Walter, it was moyes came in and kept us up so was worth it in the end.

Tranmere 3-0 at home and Walter not getting sacked was baffling.

Dinamo Bucharest 5-1 couldn't believe what we were seeing.

Aston villa 4-0 Boxing Day 2005 with David oleary as manager, they were a really poor team and we'd just been stuffed time after time around then.

More recently hull 2-0 New Year's Day 2016, still try and work out how he came to the conclusion Alcaraz and Barry at centre back with Baines and Naismith in centre midfield was a plan that could ever work.

Kiev away for many reasons.

The 4-0 Derby under Roberto, second time round that is, that has to be the most embarrassing one because it's a derby match and for the players to be so lifeless and deflated from start to finish. 37 shots against us in a derby match with us having 0 on target lucky it wasn't more humiliating score. How he survived that night I'll never know.

September 18, 2017, 05:05:35 PM
Reply #55

Rodenplav64

Wrong century but who gives a fuck?

I went to an Everton V Notts Forest game when Gordon Lee was our Manager . My best mate was on Evertons books and got us in for free thankfully . My worst game was not actually a loss it was a draw against WHU on 28th December a few years back . I thought my heart would stop it was so bad . It was nearly equalled a bit later when we beat WBA 1-0 ( Anichebe scored I think ) . Believe it or not a win is my 2nd worse game to watch .

September 18, 2017, 05:25:33 PM
Reply #56

Lincs Toffee

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/30600837

The 2-0 loss to Hull on New Year's Day is worth a mention. Our lineup was completely bonkers and we lost comfortably to what was a really poor opponent. It felt like we might get dragged into a relegation battle just one season after looking like we were capable of challenging the top four.
Hmmm sounds familiar
I used to stick the ball in the net and bow three times to the Kop. They never liked me doing that. - Dixie Dean

September 18, 2017, 05:33:04 PM
Reply #57

Macca77

Getting beat 4-0 by Sunderland at home in the carrier bag cup, fucking shocking that

September 18, 2017, 06:30:33 PM
Reply #58

april

Getting beat 4-0 by Sunderland at home in the carrier bag cup, fucking shocking that
Uh-oh, now you've done it.
Toffeegirls Rule.

September 18, 2017, 08:40:09 PM
Reply #59

Macca77

Just preparing myself for the worst, guaranteed we will make McGeady look better than Messi has ever been.