December 16, 2017, 01:18:36 PM

Author Topic: Unsworth  (Read 2503 times)

September 19, 2017, 10:57:35 PM
Reply #30

KoemansNumberTens

I never, ever understand shouts like these. Same as Man Utd fans wanting Giggs to manage them. Why? Literally zero experience at running a football club.

Playing for a club doesn't mean you can manage a club, just because you "get" what it's like to play for a particular club it's clearly a much different job and why most of the best managers were never particularly accomplished players.

If Unsworth wants to manage a big club, he should go get experience managing lower down the league. IF he does a good job there, by all means I'd be up for giving him a chance. There has to be some sort of pedigree first though.

Surely the difference is giggs has failed in his coaching career so far. I think people believe unsworth might make a great manager while the giggs thing was just sentiment.

deCoubertin

September 19, 2017, 11:13:53 PM
Reply #31

kramer0

At least Unsworth is managing, even if it's at the U23 level. He's demonstrating actual skills that could/should translate to managing a professional club.

Giggs thinks someone should just give him a Premier League job. And yet sadly, I saw this yesterday:

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/everton-2017-2018-season/2017/9/18/16327976/koeman-sacked-fired-everton-news-latest

It's difficult to describe how hard I cringed when I read the sentence at the end that included the word "ambitious" alongside the name "Giggs."

September 19, 2017, 11:22:26 PM
Reply #32

boothill

I'm almost at the point of disappointment with Unsworth that he hasn't taken the step up to proper management yet. If he's got any ambition he needs to move on and not sit in his comfort zone.
might just love his job

September 19, 2017, 11:28:02 PM
Reply #33

KoemansNumberTens

Also Utd can attract a genuine worldclass manager. We can't. If we want 1 we have to find 1 who isn't established. Giggs as Utd manager is a ridiculous notion. Absolutely not the same as shouts for unsworth. Less pedigree and at a clue where there's absolutely no reason to take any risk

September 19, 2017, 11:32:15 PM
Reply #34

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Also Utd can attract a genuine worldclass manager. We can't. If we want 1 we have to find 1 who isn't established. Giggs as Utd manager is a ridiculous notion. Absolutely not the same as shouts for unsworth. Less pedigree and at a clue where there's absolutely no reason to take any risk

We're paying enough cash to bring in a very good level of manager. We can't attract a Mourinho level but a experienced manager on an upward career trajectory shouldn't be a big ask.

September 19, 2017, 11:34:15 PM
Reply #35

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
At least Unsworth is managing, even if it's at the U23 level. He's demonstrating actual skills that could/should translate to managing a professional club.

Giggs thinks someone should just give him a Premier League job. And yet sadly, I saw this yesterday:

https://royalbluemersey.sbnation.com/everton-2017-2018-season/2017/9/18/16327976/koeman-sacked-fired-everton-news-latest

It's difficult to describe how hard I cringed when I read the sentence at the end that included the word "ambitious" alongside the name "Giggs."

Yeah, definitely a good start but I don't think I'm saying anything too out of line when I say it's a huge step from that to running a club as a whole. He should be moving to a different level after this u23 experience.

September 19, 2017, 11:37:15 PM
Reply #36

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Surely the difference is giggs has failed in his coaching career so far. I think people believe unsworth might make a great manager while the giggs thing was just sentiment.

Right, I just don't think it should come down to belief so much when hiring a new PL level manager. He might be a great manager in the making, but we don't know that yet. He should test himself at a higher level then we could make a better judgment.

September 19, 2017, 11:49:31 PM
Reply #37

KoemansNumberTens

We're paying enough cash to bring in a very good level of manager. We can't attract a Mourinho level but a experienced manager on an upward career trajectory shouldn't be a big ask.

Did we manage it last time or the time before? It's still a bit of a lottery at our level.

September 19, 2017, 11:51:43 PM
Reply #38

BlueForYou

Move Unsy up to work with the first team and Ebbrell taking over U23s

Natural progression - or something like that!

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

September 19, 2017, 11:58:05 PM
Reply #39

eyesalwaysblue

Move Unsy up to work with the first team and Ebbrell taking over U23s

Natural progression - or something like that!

How it used to be done at a lot of successful clubs instead of having to be all "Hollywood"
I still despise Clive Thomas..

September 19, 2017, 11:58:53 PM
Reply #40

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Can anyone tell me the last coach that came from a mid table sides U-23's and stepped up to the first team to go on and succeed?

I'd rather our next appointment was someone befitting of the kind of statement we're trying to make. Koeman's much closer to that than Unsie.

I also think 7th last year was a good result, and if we get the same this year after selling our best striker since linekar then that would be a great result.

If we don't win a cup, we'll I've made my feelings clear on this - generally clubs outside the top 6 don't win cups.

We've got a long way to go and hopefully Koeman can start making some headway in the direction that I hope and expect him to soon.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 20, 2017, 12:05:03 AM
Reply #41

eyesalwaysblue

Koeman now 15/8 with Laddies for the pot, Sean Dyche mentioned in a few papers as favourite to replace.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

September 20, 2017, 12:06:39 AM
Reply #42

kramer0

Can anyone tell me the last coach that came from a mid table sides U-23's and stepped up to the first team to go on and succeed?

Yes. But they're all Bundesliga managers. Tuchel, Nagelsmann, Dardai (who also managed Hungary, but still).

The lesson? Germany's coaching courses are better. Step your game up, FA.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:07:49 AM by kramer0 »

September 20, 2017, 12:10:04 AM
Reply #43

kramer0

Dyche is not at all who I would expect.

Although I do enjoy his gravelly voice and ability to frustrate Liverpool.

September 20, 2017, 12:14:05 AM
Reply #44

ally2

He hasn't got his pro licence yet mate...you cant manage in the prem without it.....the best/highest league he could go for would be a championship side at the moment...

Well yeah that's where I'd expect him to manage, or lower.