November 23, 2017, 10:40:44 PM

Author Topic: Nonsense about kids not being ready  (Read 2440 times)

September 24, 2017, 09:45:42 PM
Reply #45

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Sporting a kid with ability is easy. What is not easy is finding out if their ability matches their temprament of that their ability is going to keep developing along with the rest of the attributes needed to succeed as a top professional in any sport. The way to do that is to introduce them gradually into a first team environment. It's not ideal throwing them in in a situation that is negative and say either sink or swim.

It's great to see the likes of Davies, DCL, Holgate and Kenny getting a chance but I hope those who are enthusiastically banging the drum for them aren't going to be having a go when things don't go so well. These kids need time and experience. Look at Garbutt for example. There were loads of people wanking themselves silly because of one good game. Where is he now?
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

deCoubertin

September 24, 2017, 10:00:11 PM
Reply #46

SANA_DR0

Sporting a kid with ability is easy. What is not easy is finding out if their ability matches their temprament of that their ability is going to keep developing along with the rest of the attributes needed to succeed as a top professional in any sport. The way to do that is to introduce them gradually into a first team environment. It's not ideal throwing them in in a situation that is negative and say either sink or swim.

It's great to see the likes of Davies, DCL, Holgate and Kenny getting a chance but I hope those who are enthusiastically banging the drum for them aren't going to be having a go when things don't go so well. These kids need time and experience. Look at Garbutt for example. There were loads of people wanking themselves silly because of one good game. Where is he now?

If we had kept Garbutt around at the club instead of shipping him off on loan, he would have been different to how he is now, He lost impotous, Evertonians who play for us, need to be in and around the club, going out on loan just destroys some of them..

the best way for time and experience is playing the players, instead of shelling out 100m-200m on players that are not utalized to their optimum for various reasons.

Also a lot of posters stated that Kenny wasnt good enough, also said DCL wasnt good enough, with out even watching them play.. the audacity of some is just splash the cash, Koeman knows best.

Growing up, Everton always gave Evertonians a chance to prove themselves.. Evertonians are the best Everton players.. (players coming through the youth system)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 10:03:01 PM by SANA_DR0 »
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

September 24, 2017, 10:11:25 PM
Reply #47

ally2

Everyone loves Kenny. It's just not everyone's completely convinced when would/would have been the best time to introduce him. My own view is that Koeman sees all the players and to suggest that he would purposely not play a kid even if he was tearing it up by every measure is ludicrous. But that's how warped some fans' minds are over Koeman.

September 24, 2017, 10:19:20 PM
Reply #48

Marky Mark and the funky

I'd consider myself a keen supporter of our u23 set-up, and have been bemused why in particular Kenny has struggled to get a sniff.

Despite that, and the boys done good yesterday, no way is there enough evidence for all these 'I told you so' type opinions!

Some people are far too quick to take one example of some yoofs +honorary member Oumar turning a match to try to stick it to everyone else that hasn't backed the kids playing to the hilt, it's one match f.f.s.

September 24, 2017, 10:38:57 PM
Reply #49

Evertonian in NC

I think Holgate was at fault for the goal, but he was also being asked to do way too much, being next to a stationary partner in Williams and a RB who doesn't move/react well defensively in Martina.

When you combine that with the fact that we haven't been able to get him CB time in less stressful/preparatory settings at the Prem/Cup level, I think it's rash to judge him.  He's VERY physical at RB, I think he should be fine at CB.  He'd learn a great deal next to Keane and/or Jags.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 24, 2017, 10:44:37 PM
Reply #50

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I'd consider myself a keen supporter of our u23 set-up, and have been bemused why in particular Kenny has struggled to get a sniff.

Despite that, and the boys done good yesterday, no way is there enough evidence for all these 'I told you so' type opinions!

Some people are far too quick to take one example of some yoofs +honorary member Oumar turning a match to try to stick it to everyone else that hasn't backed the kids playing to the hilt, it's one match f.f.s.
Be best if he doesn't get a Sniff..... Looked what happened to his cousin

Simply simply lovely

September 24, 2017, 10:47:30 PM
Reply #51

Martip

I d much rather a kid make a mistake as part of the learning process than a limited player constantly making mistakes.

September 24, 2017, 10:49:46 PM
Reply #52

Faceatthefence

If we had kept Garbutt around at the club instead of shipping him off on loan, he would have been different to how he is now, He lost impotous, Evertonians who play for us, need to be in and around the club, going out on loan just destroys some of them..

the best way for time and experience is playing the players, instead of shelling out 100m-200m on players that are not utalized to their optimum for various reasons.

Also a lot of posters stated that Kenny wasnt good enough, also said DCL wasnt good enough, with out even watching them play.. the audacity of some is just splash the cash, Koeman knows best.

Growing up, Everton always gave Evertonians a chance to prove themselves.. Evertonians are the best Everton players.. (players coming through the youth system)
Felt Garbutt was developing  really well for us and was a ready made cover/replacement for Bainsey.But he hasnt kicked on for the reasons you stated,good player in there somewhere.Errors have been made and will be again ie Dier and Mustafa
Night comes down and finds you alone
In a space and time of your own
Lost in dreams in world full of shadows.

September 24, 2017, 10:59:34 PM
Reply #53

Marky Mark and the funky

"The Untold Potential Of Garbutt" love-in is more nonsense from folks preaching to follow the U23s. He's been shown up for fancying himself whenever he's been asked to graft in the Championship, a dire shame to be sure but staying with us playing less competitive football would not have solved his predilection for shampoo!

Look at Coleman, putting in some graft with Blackpool was a crucial start of making him eligible to play for us. In the meantime Luke can't impress at Fulham or Wigan.

p.s. Impotous, that is one of your best/worst misspellings yet bro lolol

September 24, 2017, 11:00:48 PM
Reply #54

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Yet the large majority of best Everton players were signed and not youth products

I'm all for bringing lads through but you are ott with it

If they are good enough they will get in, if they aren't they won't.

Simply simply lovely

September 24, 2017, 11:07:40 PM
Reply #55

SANA_DR0

"The Untold Potential Of Garbutt" love-in is more nonsense from folks preaching to follow the U23s. He's been shown up for fancying himself whenever he's been asked to graft in the Championship, a dire shame to be sure but staying with us playing less competitive football would not have solved his predilection for shampoo!

Look at Coleman, putting in some graft with Blackpool was a crucial start of making him eligible to play for us. In the meantime Luke can't impress at Fulham or Wigan.

p.s. Impotous, that is one of your best/worst misspellings yet bro lolol

dont make me start using spell check :p

The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

September 24, 2017, 11:13:47 PM
Reply #56

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber

young players 95% of the time need to go out on loan to lower league clubs to toughen them up and get used to the rigours of professional football. That is what aids their development more than being thrown straight in to a PL (unless they are a very special talent). Coleman being the prime example.

I can give you an example from rugby. There's a lad coming through now in Wales who I've helped to coach at age grade called Leon Brown (no relation). He's being touted as the best young tight head prop in Wales. He's on the books at the Dragons and they threw him into a few games when they were struggling and he wasn't ready. So instead he was sent to the Premiership for a season and that year playing against seasoned, grizzled front rowers has been the making of him. He's now starting week
In week out for the Dragons and will be in the Welsh squad sooner rather than later.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

September 24, 2017, 11:14:00 PM
Reply #57

Lxxx

Can't help but think Galloway has been mismanaged in a similar way Garbutt was over the past few years. There's no way these two were not good enough for at least one of them to have been invested in, trained with the 1st team squad and developed to be kept around for the odd game when it's time to rest Baines in the cups maybe. We have no other left footed players in the first team squad apart from Baines, it's criminal to have just one left footed player.
Sometimes loans are not the be all and end all for every young player.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:15:29 PM by Lxxx »

September 24, 2017, 11:47:01 PM
Reply #58

Marky Mark and the funky

Can't help but think Galloway has been mismanaged in a similar way Garbutt was over the past few years. There's no way these two were not good enough for at least one of them to have been invested in, trained with the 1st team squad and developed to be kept around for the odd game when it's time to rest Baines in the cups maybe. We have no other left footed players in the first team squad apart from Baines, it's criminal to have just one left footed player.
Sometimes loans are not the be all and end all for every young player.

Using Galloway to stick up for Garbutt lolol

Galloway has done nothing since Baines came back and knocked him out of our first team. From all accounts I've read he couldn't be bothered to play for the U23s after that. I saw how bad he was for WBA and could not argue with him being dropped. Not getting another opportunity did seem harsh, however...

Now on loan at Sunderland and he's been poor there as well, not getting into the team ahead of Matthews who is a terrible player! I saw some of their pre-season and earliest matches, he plays like a Cuco Martina that cannot cross, the version of Brendan that covered Baines in 2015 hasn't been seen since!

September 25, 2017, 12:16:27 AM
Reply #59

gizzblue

The beauty is we tend to give our own more time ....just look at Barkley ...no consistent run of games in four or so years and some still think he's the messiah.