December 17, 2017, 08:29:13 AM

Author Topic: Baines  (Read 5158 times)

September 24, 2017, 12:36:52 AM
Read 5158 times

stirlingblue

His delivery wasn't great today but he certainly got forward a lot more than I've seen in a while, it made a big difference as we had a wide option on the left.

Why do you think he's been staying so deep? Confidence or instructions from Koeman?

deCoubertin

September 24, 2017, 12:41:30 AM
Reply #1

TheTone

September 24, 2017, 12:41:44 AM
Reply #2

BlueBeagle

Not seen a decent delivery from Baines in about 5 years, as much as I love him.

Wouldn't say he's been playing particularly deep before today nor playing in a particularly advanced role this afternoon tbh.

September 24, 2017, 01:54:37 AM
Reply #3

SANA_DR0

At times V Man UTD, in the second half he seemed like a central midfielder.. lol not even running back into defense when we lost it..
I dont think he;s lost the pace or the stamina.. I blame Jags for not passing to him when we have played 3 at the back or played with Jags at the back..

I know Baines has dropped over the last few seasons, hopefully its just temporary..(now we got Vlasic, hopefully they will link like Bainaar did)
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

September 24, 2017, 02:36:05 AM
Reply #4

KoemansNumberTens

He's finished. People don't want to admit it because he was a truly worldclass full back. He offers bare minimum going forwards these days. Can anyone remember his last great game? I can't. Shame but he needs replacing if we are to progress

September 24, 2017, 02:37:24 AM
Reply #5

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
He's finished. People don't want to admit it because he was a truly worldclass full back. He offers bare minimum going forwards these days. Can anyone remember his last great game? I can't. Shame but he needs replacing if we are to progress

So Baines is your new target? 😉

September 24, 2017, 02:42:50 AM
Reply #6

Bluedylan

He's not finished. Still a really good footballer. Can't get up and down like he used to, so he errs on the side of caution.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

September 24, 2017, 02:52:25 AM
Reply #7

KoemansNumberTens

So Baines is your new target? 😉

He's not my target don't be so dramatic. He was a worldclass full back. By all means tell me the last time he had a very good game. He's 1 of our weak links

Oddly people can target Robles or niasse or Williams or a number of others week in week out. Say they hate them. Blame them for stuff that's not their fault. Give them zero credit when they do something right. Yet if someone suggests Baines isn't a particularly good full back anymore he's a victim of some sort of bullying. He's a bang average defender and not much of an attacking threat anymore. I'm happy for you to prove me wrong by listing his fantastic recent performances

September 24, 2017, 02:52:55 AM
Reply #8

KoemansNumberTens

He's not finished. Still a really good footballer. Can't get up and down like he used to, so he errs on the side of caution.

The modern full back has to get up and down.

September 24, 2017, 03:00:24 AM
Reply #9

SANA_DR0

The modern full back has to get up and down.

not always, if we had a winger infront of him, he wouldnt need to as much, especially with say Kenny  and a winger on the right.. not sure how'd we'd play all our number 10's tho with that sort of formation.. 2 man defence with Baines and Holgate.
Unsworth has a 100% League record at home
Norwich 3-0 15th May 2016
Watford 3-2 5th Nov 2017
West Ham 4-0 29th Nov 2017
To Be Continued.....

September 24, 2017, 03:05:21 AM
Reply #10

DIXIEDEAN

winger in front or not, in his day he would get up and down no problem, he can't do it anymore for whatever reason which means if we are to improve his area is one that needs addressing.
we all loved him and love him but he's better days are way behind him he should be back up

September 24, 2017, 03:09:25 AM
Reply #11

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
He's not my target don't be so dramatic. He was a worldclass full back. By all means tell me the last time he had a very good game. He's 1 of our weak links

Oddly people can target Robles or niasse or Williams or a number of others week in week out. Say they hate them. Blame them for stuff that's not their fault. Give them zero credit when they do something right. Yet if someone suggests Baines isn't a particularly good full back anymore he's a victim of some sort of bullying. He's a bang average defender and not much of an attacking threat anymore. I'm happy for you to prove me wrong by listing his fantastic recent performances

Probs because you've got a history of getting a hard on for a particular player at a time and going on and on and on about it. Y'know, the usual stuff.

And you're also a bit of a nutter.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:11:24 AM by Bob Sacamano »

September 24, 2017, 03:18:14 AM
Reply #12

Coyb12

Baines should have been replaced last season never the best defender but he doesn't offer anything going forward.

September 24, 2017, 03:50:24 AM
Reply #13

Realist

Baines was world class.
Sadly he needs replacing, we need the fullbacks to attack too & he can't anymore

September 24, 2017, 06:30:05 AM
Reply #14

blueski

He needs somebody playing in front of him that drops back in to cover; we seem so committed to the triangle of 10s in the middle which means he can only go as far forward as he can track back - even with this it seems like he's improved vs the prior 2 seasons

First he suffered under Martinez 's tactics now he is a bit under Koemans - I suspect if we played differently he'd still be very effective
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:32:47 AM by blueski »
Nil Satis