December 14, 2017, 10:32:34 AM

Author Topic: Baines  (Read 5113 times)

September 25, 2017, 03:37:55 PM
Reply #30

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
So we have no width, Baines actually keeps width well, however we want to shunt him into CM? Who is gonna play LB?

Ive seen Matty Foulds mentioned, he barely plays for the u23s
Garbutt? He is a 24 year old still playing u23 football
Galloway? Cant get a game for Sunderland?

Simply simply lovely

deCoubertin

September 25, 2017, 03:40:14 PM
Reply #31

sam of the south

It's where Barry was great. He would read the game and move into the space vacated by the wing back so we're not left exposed. Gueye or Schneiderling should do the same

McCarthy did that extremely well in Martinez' first season as well; it was a feature of how we did so well and looked so good going forward at that time.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 07:08:58 PM by sam of the south »
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

September 25, 2017, 06:56:55 PM
Reply #32

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
It's where Barry was great. He would read the game and move into the space vacated by the wing back so we're not left exposed. Gueye or Schneiderling should do the same
Fits. In Barry's first season, he played every game. Baines attacked all the time, created many chances. As Barry has played less, Baines has been forced to retreat. Last season, hardly any Barry, lots of Williams, Baines cannot get forward.

September 25, 2017, 06:58:51 PM
Reply #33

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
McCarthy did that extremely well in Martinez' first season as well; it was a feature of how did so well and looked so good going forward at that time.
Deffo, the two of them freed Coleman and Baines who at times were passing to each other in attack and scoring, or creating goals for others.

September 25, 2017, 07:32:27 PM
Reply #34

Jamokachi

So we have no width, Baines actually keeps width well, however we want to shunt him into CM? Who is gonna play LB?

I think @MmmBlueRamirez 's central mid shout was a piss take directed at Martinez, who once made that comment. Said Baines could adapt his game like Lahm. I believe he even sent him over to Germany to take in Lahm's playing style in midfield?

September 25, 2017, 07:39:08 PM
Reply #35

hill135

While Iíve expunged everything of the Martinez era from my mind, Iím still on board with the Baines at CM shout.

Heís not doing it for me as a left back anymore and I think a lot of the Ďno left wingerí stuff is a red herring. Manís just not got the legs anymore.

Heís still the best passer at the club IMO so it would be good to find a way to get the best of that to prolong his time as a valuable player

September 25, 2017, 07:40:14 PM
Reply #36

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
While I’ve expunged everything of the Martinez era from my mind, I’m still on board with the Baines at CM shout.

He’s not doing it for me as a left back anymore and I think a lot of the ‘no left winger’ stuff is a red herring. Man’s just not got the legs anymore.

He’s still the best passer at the club IMO so it would be good to find a way to get the best of that to prolong his time as a valuable player
I'd rather see him as the left sided cb in a back 3 than centre mid to be honest

Simply simply lovely

September 25, 2017, 07:47:20 PM
Reply #37

hill135

I'd rather see him as the left sided cb in a back 3 than centre mid to be honest

Fair do. I'd be up for that too. It would be less risky than CM cos he'd still largely be playing on one side. He'd bring the ball out from the back and his lack of height wouldn't be as big as issue in a back three.

September 25, 2017, 07:51:43 PM
Reply #38

Jamokachi

We should play him as a sweeper. Let's go old school.

September 25, 2017, 08:06:09 PM
Reply #39

MmmBlueRamirez

Can of worms officially opened.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

September 25, 2017, 08:17:38 PM
Reply #40

Lxxx

Walsh will have his work cut out again this year with his scouting team. A striker, left back and left sided centre half should be the first three through the door next up.

September 26, 2017, 01:08:39 AM
Reply #41

KoemansNumberTens

Walsh will have his work cut out again this year with his scouting team. A striker, left back and left sided centre half should be the first three through the door next up.

3 more number 10s it is then

September 26, 2017, 01:21:19 AM
Reply #42

Realist

I like Cresswell we should've looked at him in the summer and used Baines as back up

September 26, 2017, 04:43:10 AM
Reply #43

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I like Cresswell we should've looked at him in the summer and used Baines as back up

Out of him, Chilwell, Shaw and Tierney, I would probably say:

1.  Tierney
2. Cresswell
3. Shaw
4. Chilwell

That's proper narrow minded though there's probably shit loads of amazing ones in Ligue 1 or Serie A that could be just waiting to turn us down for Spurs.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 26, 2017, 04:48:20 AM
Reply #44

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Bertrand.