November 22, 2017, 01:35:00 PM

Author Topic: Baines  (Read 4799 times)

October 16, 2017, 05:19:46 AM
Reply #75

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Like a lot of our players, he seems reluctant to play the ball forwards.

Don't know if it's the players or the system.

deCoubertin

October 16, 2017, 05:30:53 AM
Reply #76

Major Clanger

I was watching him today, and the number of times he got the ball and there was nobody closer than 30 yards was atrocious. The only one who would regularly come for the ball was DCL, but he was usually hugging the touchline and marked.

He was never one to bomb past players one v one from a standing start, and with age even less so. But what he could still do we stifle with our idiotic system.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 16, 2017, 05:31:15 AM
Reply #77

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Zero options. We have CM's who don't particularly want the ball.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 16, 2017, 05:32:48 AM
Reply #78

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
How many times are we going to use that excuse though?

It's been going round for three years now.

He's still getting into some good positions and being very wasteful with the ball.

October 16, 2017, 05:35:15 AM
Reply #79

The Analog Kid

Mate of mine sits in the Paddock, just before the halfway, Gwladdy end, says he’s watched Baines a few times getting offered a pass but will hold his hand out as if to say nah, don’t want it, or when he does get it he’s always laying it back inside. Whether it’s options going forward or he feels he just can’t do it any more...

October 16, 2017, 05:37:30 AM
Reply #80

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah if there was a possibility of just replacing him with Tierney or Cresswell or Bertrand I probably would. Shame but fact is he has struggled for years.

We were ahead of the curve with our energetic full backs who could ball and whip crosses and score, but now every team has flying full backs and most of them are built like racehorses, while ours are past their sell-by or badly injured.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 16, 2017, 05:39:37 AM
Reply #81

Major Clanger

How many times are we going to use that excuse though?

It's been going round for three years now.

He's still getting into some good positions and being very wasteful with the ball.

It's not an excuse, I'm saying it's a combination of the two. Yes, he is declining (as you'd expect him at this age, and with his injuries), but we aren't using him anywhere near his full potential either.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 16, 2017, 05:43:36 AM
Reply #82

Ross

He’s got no movement in front of him therefore he’s got very little option but to play it safe either back to where it came or back further to another defender.

The whole teams static, nobody wants to move forward or thinks of advancing us to threaten the opposition.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

October 16, 2017, 05:51:58 AM
Reply #83

Bluedylan

Yeah if there was a possibility of just replacing him with Tierney or Cresswell or Bertrand I probably would. Shame but fact is he has struggled for years.

We were ahead of the curve with our energetic full backs who could ball and whip crosses and score, but now every team has flying full backs and most of them are built like racehorses, while ours are past their sell-by or badly injured.

I think that's the crux of it. The game has changed since Baines was in his pomp. We were ahead of the curve as you said, and now we're woefully behind it. You've basically got to be camped out in the opposition half as a full back now, but have the legs to fly back if and when needed. Bainesy just can't do that, whatever the rest of the team is doing.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 16, 2017, 05:52:41 AM
Reply #84

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He’s got no movement in front of him therefore he’s got very little option but to play it safe either back to where it came or back further to another defender.

The whole teams static, nobody wants to move forward or thinks of advancing us to threaten the opposition.

I'm a bit of a CM obsessive so I tend to think problems like these should be able to be resolved by your CM's.

Not really sure what either of our CM's are doing at the min. Then when Rooney plays he just walks all over their territory and does what ever he feels like of course.

A passing DM or a powerhouse 8 would go a long way I think.

October 16, 2017, 06:04:38 AM
Reply #85

Ross

I'm a bit of a CM obsessive so I tend to think problems like these should be able to be resolved by your CM's.

Not really sure what either of our CM's are doing at the min. Then when Rooney plays he just walks all over their territory and does what ever he feels like of course.

A passing DM or a powerhouse 8 would go a long way I think.

I said it towards the end of last season so its nothing new but Gueye isn’t good enough on the ball for us. Apparently hes a “defensive midfielder”. I got told that by the illuminati and that I didn’t “understand”. Yet time and again he’s found in and around the oppositions box wasting passes or blasting balls into row z.

We looked a much better team with Davies in the middle since the turn of the year and yet time and again he’s bafflingly on the bench while lesser players start.

Mustn’t be showing it in trading or something I’m lead to believe..
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

October 16, 2017, 06:10:56 AM
Reply #86

KoemansNumberTens

I said it towards the end of last season so its nothing new but Gueye isn’t good enough on the ball for us. Apparently hes a “defensive midfielder”. I got told that by the illuminati and that I didn’t “understand”. Yet time and again he’s found in and around the oppositions box wasting passes or blasting balls into row z.

We looked a much better team with Davies in the middle since the turn of the year and yet time and again he’s bafflingly on the bench while lesser players start.

Mustn’t be showing it in trading or something I’m lead to believe..

Not good enough for us? Christ he's 1 of our better players. If gueye isn't good enough we need 9 or 10

October 16, 2017, 06:14:20 AM
Reply #87

ally2

I lost faith in him when Martinez went to shit. The transformation in the team in that second season was totally baffling to me at the time, and I expected it experienced players to carry us through. But Baines isn't that kind of player. Which is a shame because we need him to be now. There are occasions where he will race around and post quick passes. He does it at the end of a game when we are chasing a point!  So he is capable. I wonder whether it is an injury he can't shake off because his cardio seems fine.

October 16, 2017, 06:17:32 AM
Reply #88

Ross

Not good enough for us? Christ he's 1 of our better players. If gueye isn't good enough we need 9 or 10

We don’t need any more 10’s.

October 16, 2017, 06:21:54 AM
Reply #89

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Baines hasn't been good enough for a few seasons, not as an attacking full back anyway.

I can't remember the last time he ran in to space and put a decent cross in.

Love the bloke, but he needs competition.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"