November 18, 2017, 10:40:53 AM

Author Topic: Baines  (Read 4718 times)

October 16, 2017, 06:33:34 AM
Reply #90

Tony Clifton

I think he might just be a bottler, still pining for Mo Moysie.  I can just imagine Baines, Jagielka, Mirallas...  doing some gormless cliquey shit.

deCoubertin

October 16, 2017, 08:55:44 AM
Reply #91

cantoffee

Doesn't have the legs he use to but still far from our biggest issue.

So far this season I would put a striker, two wingers, a CB, and a backup right back all ahead of replacing Baines.

That being said, we need at least another competent left back to give him a rest when needed. Ideally someone young who will come into the team and replace Baines gradually as the number 1 option over the next 18 months or so.

October 16, 2017, 11:31:16 AM
Reply #92

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
It's funny how some are saying Gueye isn't good enough. It's also amazing how we go to defensive pieces as soon as he is subbed.

He is limited going forward but he is busting his gut to get there and try and make the numbers. Something Schneiderlin is supposed to be doing as he is apparently the more creative.

Baines did try to get forward
A little more today. But he doesn't trust our forward line to hold the ball up so he hangs back to prevent the counter.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

October 16, 2017, 12:23:26 PM
Reply #93

KoemansNumberTens

We donít need any more 10ís.

We do. We need a good 1

October 16, 2017, 02:04:26 PM
Reply #94

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
It's funny how some are saying Gueye isn't good enough. It's also amazing how we go to defensive pieces as soon as he is subbed.

He is limited going forward but he is busting his gut to get there and try and make the numbers. Something Schneiderlin is supposed to be doing as he is apparently the more creative.

Baines did try to get forward
A little more today. But he doesn't trust our forward line to hold the ball up so he hangs back to prevent the counter.

He's world class at very specific things, but he's currently playing as a sort of 8, which means he needs to be on the ball a lot.

So similar story - quality player being misused through managerial error or lack of other options.

My preferred midfield would be Gueye and Davies with Davies the 8, or Morgan sitting single pivot with Davies and Gueye box to box/Gueye and Klaassen box to box.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 16, 2017, 03:50:30 PM
Reply #95

JordanianEmbassy

Mate of mine sits in the Paddock, just before the halfway, Gwladdy end, says heís watched Baines a few times getting offered a pass but will hold his hand out as if to say nah, donít want it, or when he does get it heís always laying it back inside. Whether itís options going forward or he feels he just canít do it any more...

I sit in the Upper Bullens and I'd say the opposite. Some of the most common topics of conversation where I sit over the last 2 years have been

(1) The amount of times Baines is in space on the left with his hands up calling for the ball and the ball is played over the other side
(2) When Baines gets the ball on the half way line there is never anyone available in front of him to pass to. Thats why he always plays it inside or back

He's lost a little bit of pace, can still play though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 03:51:43 PM by JordanianEmbassy »

October 16, 2017, 03:52:45 PM
Reply #96

The Analog Kid

I sit in the Upper Bullens and I'd say the opposite. Some of the most common topics of conversation where I sit over the last 2 years have been

(1) The amount of times Baines is in space on the left and the ball is played over the other side
(2) When Baines gets the ball on the half way line there is never anyone available in front of him to pass to. Thats why he always plays it inside or back

He's lost a little bit of pace, can still play though.

🤔

Thatís more or less what I said. Thereís no option going forward or he ďjust canĒt do it any moreĒ, i.e; pace!?

October 16, 2017, 04:07:35 PM
Reply #97

Lxxx

I just can't imagine Baines standing up in the dressing room and demanding to know why there is no-one on the left hand side of the pitch apart from him, in a thinly veiled point to both the manager and to his team-mates who all go wandering off into the centre every game.

Maybe he's too soft of personality but I can't help thinking that if he had a bit more about him this would have been sorted a long time ago as he's a senior player, vice captain, established international footballer, first name on the team sheet and when he talks and demands to be listened to people should listen. I may be wrong but he seems the type to just go along with it and get back home to his family and life outside of football. As is his wont of course but it doesn't help the team.

October 16, 2017, 04:15:27 PM
Reply #98

The Analog Kid

I just can't imagine Baines standing up in the dressing room and demanding to know why there is no-one on the left hand side of the pitch apart from him, in a thinly veiled point to both the manager and to his team-mates who all go wandering off into the centre every game.

Maybe he's too soft of personality but I can't help thinking that if he had a bit more about him this would have been sorted a long time ago as he's a senior player, vice captain, established international footballer, first name on the team sheet and when he talks and demands to be listened to people should listen. I may be wrong but he seems the type to just go along with it and get back home to his family and life outside of football. As is his wont of course but it doesn't help the team.

I think he would. Heís been here long enough to have gained the balls to speak out, heís been captain a few times, I donít see him being overly quiet if things are shit.

October 16, 2017, 04:21:47 PM
Reply #99

Waltzer

I agree, but it baffles me why is is vice captain. In the Burnely game (as captain) I dont think I saw or heard him do anything. Hes very placid and I dont think he really comes across as an inspirational leader and his performances of late certainly haven't been anything near his usual standard

October 16, 2017, 04:22:25 PM
Reply #100

Bluedylan

In before the amateur body language interpretation shout...
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

October 16, 2017, 04:25:48 PM
Reply #101

Major Clanger

Given that he was the only one to stand up in public against Martinez, I don't think that's necessarily true.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 16, 2017, 04:28:50 PM
Reply #102

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I also think just from a tactical POV anyone who is even vaguely familiar with the career of Leighton Baines knows that he can ball, so why have we isolated him so badly during the tenure of two managers?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 16, 2017, 04:29:01 PM
Reply #103

Lxxx

Given that he was the only one to stand up in public against Martinez, I don't think that's necessarily true.

Maybe so. Just trying to get a handle on the fact that for three years we have completely ignored the left hand side of the pitch. It's bizarre and defies all logic or reason.

October 16, 2017, 04:38:24 PM
Reply #104

The Analog Kid

Maybe so. Just trying to get a handle on the fact that for three years we have completely ignored the left hand side of the pitch. It's bizarre and defies all logic or reason.

Pure stubborness from the man in charge.

Just because a player may have the balls to stand up and point out faults doesnít mean theyíll give in and change.