October 16, 2018, 10:18:23 AM

Author Topic: Baines  (Read 7941 times)

September 24, 2017, 04:14:04 PM
Read 7941 times

Lxxx

He must feel a little frustrated. The prime of his career wasted by having no-one playing on that side of the pitch with him for the past 4 years. At an age where he could have been able to use all his experience he's been wasted trying to hold up the left hand side of the pitch on his own. No wonder his great games have been so few and far between in recent years.

September 25, 2017, 03:12:13 PM
Reply #1

Lxxx

I dont know if its just Baines, I think a majority of the back needs replacing, Jags and Williams are prime examples, im still to be totally convinced about Keane and Mori always has an error in him. The only one you can genuinely rely on is Coleman, I just he comes back as the player he was before his injury.
I feel for Koeman to a certain extent as whilst the team was decent when he took over there are so many areas that need an overhaul all at once it cant be easy. In an ideal world you'd want to phase 1 out from each position per year, not the entire back line, or front line as has the prospect of doing

Also Holgate doesn't either look ready or quite good enough at this level. Either way we're pretty exposed across the back line.

September 25, 2017, 08:17:38 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

Walsh will have his work cut out again this year with his scouting team. A striker, left back and left sided centre half should be the first three through the door next up.

October 02, 2017, 09:08:50 PM
Reply #3

Lxxx

Sadly, he’s not been the same since his ankle injury. Still has a decent cross on him though, but the free kicks have disappeared.

I think in general we do need more pace down that left side.

You think?

October 03, 2017, 08:35:09 PM
Reply #4

Lxxx

It's easy to say we should have signed another left back in the summer. We also needed a goalkeeper, two centre halves, a right back, a few midfielders, a few strikers, a few wingers.... I think Walsh needs some slack cutting really, it's unrealistic to expect him to sign a brand new first 11 as well as send half a dozen of the U-23's out on loan and replace them too.

October 03, 2017, 08:51:17 PM
Reply #5

Lxxx

I agree but I think it then comes back to Rooney, Klassen and Sigurdsson. You kind of lose a little sympathy when you see they did manage to sign 3 players for that 1 position.
Though rightly or wrongly I blame koeman much more than Walsh

Completely agree. I reckon Klaassan and Rooney were at the insistence of Koeman and Sig was a mutual decision. I can see the merits of Rooney and Sig but the Klaassan signing took up time, money and effort that would have better spent on another centre half/forward, leaving a much more balanced squad.

I'm willing to cut Walsh a lot more slack than Koeman on the summer window although getting back to the thread topic, a body able to fill in at left back should have been a priority from the day after we sold Oviedo. 

October 09, 2017, 03:24:48 PM
Reply #6

Lxxx

I keep getting these strange feelings like I've been here before whenever I read a Baines thread. 

October 16, 2017, 04:07:35 PM
Reply #7

Lxxx

I just can't imagine Baines standing up in the dressing room and demanding to know why there is no-one on the left hand side of the pitch apart from him, in a thinly veiled point to both the manager and to his team-mates who all go wandering off into the centre every game.

Maybe he's too soft of personality but I can't help thinking that if he had a bit more about him this would have been sorted a long time ago as he's a senior player, vice captain, established international footballer, first name on the team sheet and when he talks and demands to be listened to people should listen. I may be wrong but he seems the type to just go along with it and get back home to his family and life outside of football. As is his wont of course but it doesn't help the team.

October 16, 2017, 04:29:01 PM
Reply #8

Lxxx

Given that he was the only one to stand up in public against Martinez, I don't think that's necessarily true.

Maybe so. Just trying to get a handle on the fact that for three years we have completely ignored the left hand side of the pitch. It's bizarre and defies all logic or reason.

October 16, 2017, 05:12:32 PM
Reply #9

Lxxx

I've been his biggest fan for a number of years, possibly to the point of delusion, but sorry lads he's not doing for me anymore.

The 'he's isolated shouts' are a red herring in my view. The modern full back has to rule his flank all by himself and Baines, due to injuries or otherwise, can't do that anymore as he doesn't have the physicality. The best left backs in the league might not have his brain but they can get up and down all day, isolated or not.

Yes we could probably get more out of him if we put a pivot player on the left wing a la Pienaar but why should we do that to maximise the impact of a fading force of a left back? Instead we should get a younger model who can run a lot and run fast.

He'd also bomb on a lot more if he was confident in having Barry to slide over and slot into the space he had just vacated. I'm not sure he trusts Schneiderlin and Gueye to have the intelligence to automatically do that and to be honest I don't blame him.

October 17, 2017, 12:34:53 AM
Reply #10

Lxxx

Mate you are looking for excuses for his poor performances,he defending for yesterday's goal is laughable he was not the only one too blame but he is not above blame he should have been replaced.

I agree. He doesn't look hungry anymore, a lot of them don't. Whether it's just a general malaise from the ones leftover from the Martinez era or just a poor atmosphere in the camp but even the new signings look devoid of any passion.

October 24, 2017, 03:19:20 PM
Reply #11

Lxxx

He's not much more than a remnant of the Cozy Moyes era now, in a bad way.  Him, Jagielka, Mirallas...

We've not done transition very well at all going back to Moyes' era when we should have been phasing out the likes of Hibbert, Osman etc.  Let's catch up, soon.  Please.

I tend to agree. The fact the same bad habits have tended to run through Martinez and Koeman’s eras means their is something rotten somewhere.