November 19, 2017, 04:19:48 PM

Author Topic: Baines  (Read 4746 times)

October 16, 2017, 04:41:34 PM
Reply #105

ally2

I just can't imagine Baines standing up in the dressing room and demanding to know why there is no-one on the left hand side of the pitch apart from him, in a thinly veiled point to both the manager and to his team-mates who all go wandering off into the centre every game.

Maybe he's too soft of personality but I can't help thinking that if he had a bit more about him this would have been sorted a long time ago as he's a senior player, vice captain, established international footballer, first name on the team sheet and when he talks and demands to be listened to people should listen. I may be wrong but he seems the type to just go along with it and get back home to his family and life outside of football. As is his wont of course but it doesn't help the team.

I completely agree. However I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I've come to the same conclusions purely based upon the handful of interviews he's done where he seems like a good egg, and that he's sort of got got a cuddly face.

deCoubertin

October 16, 2017, 04:48:46 PM
Reply #106

JordanianEmbassy

🤔

That’s more or less what I said. There’s no option going forward or he “just can”t do it any more”, i.e; pace!?

I genuinely totally misunderstood your post , I thought you meant he was waving his hands saying he didn't want the ball.

I also genuinely can't spell genuinely. Had to look it up. The more you say it the weirder it sounds too. genuinely still doesn't look right. genuinely

October 16, 2017, 04:53:46 PM
Reply #107

The Analog Kid

I genuinely totally misunderstood your post , I thought you meant he was waving his hands saying he didn't want the ball.

I also genuinely can't spell genuinely. Had to look it up. The more you say it the weirder it sounds too. genuinely still doesn't look right. genuinely

No, sometimes he does, when the pass was on he’d not want it.

It was the going forward issue I was referring to, there’s nothing out wide for him to work with, and he just doesn’t have the legs for lengthy runs any more.

October 16, 2017, 04:58:10 PM
Reply #108

hill135

I've been his biggest fan for a number of years, possibly to the point of delusion, but sorry lads he's not doing for me anymore.

The 'he's isolated shouts' are a red herring in my view. The modern full back has to rule his flank all by himself and Baines, due to injuries or otherwise, can't do that anymore as he doesn't have the physicality. The best left backs in the league might not have his brain but they can get up and down all day, isolated or not.

Yes we could probably get more out of him if we put a pivot player on the left wing a la Pienaar but why should we do that to maximise the impact of a fading force of a left back? Instead we should get a younger model who can run a lot and run fast.

October 16, 2017, 05:12:32 PM
Reply #109

Lxxx

I've been his biggest fan for a number of years, possibly to the point of delusion, but sorry lads he's not doing for me anymore.

The 'he's isolated shouts' are a red herring in my view. The modern full back has to rule his flank all by himself and Baines, due to injuries or otherwise, can't do that anymore as he doesn't have the physicality. The best left backs in the league might not have his brain but they can get up and down all day, isolated or not.

Yes we could probably get more out of him if we put a pivot player on the left wing a la Pienaar but why should we do that to maximise the impact of a fading force of a left back? Instead we should get a younger model who can run a lot and run fast.

He'd also bomb on a lot more if he was confident in having Barry to slide over and slot into the space he had just vacated. I'm not sure he trusts Schneiderlin and Gueye to have the intelligence to automatically do that and to be honest I don't blame him.

October 16, 2017, 11:54:40 PM
Reply #110

Coyb12

He'd also bomb on a lot more if he was confident in having Barry to slide over and slot into the space he had just vacated. I'm not sure he trusts Schneiderlin and Gueye to have the intelligence to automatically do that and to be honest I don't blame him.
Mate you are looking for excuses for his poor performances,he defending for yesterday's goal is laughable he was not the only one too blame but he is not above blame he should have been replaced.

October 17, 2017, 12:34:53 AM
Reply #111

Lxxx

Mate you are looking for excuses for his poor performances,he defending for yesterday's goal is laughable he was not the only one too blame but he is not above blame he should have been replaced.

I agree. He doesn't look hungry anymore, a lot of them don't. Whether it's just a general malaise from the ones leftover from the Martinez era or just a poor atmosphere in the camp but even the new signings look devoid of any passion.

October 17, 2017, 12:48:36 AM
Reply #112

Coyb12

I agree. He doesn't look hungry anymore, a lot of them don't. Whether it's just a general malaise from the ones leftover from the Martinez era or just a poor atmosphere in the camp but even the new signings look devoid of any passion.
I think there is quite a few of them to be honest,what has happened to gana I would swear he is a different person, schneiderlin looks poor,baines,you could go on I think lewin although not good enough imo does try his best same,as well as holgate,also Rooney looks as though he is arsed.

October 17, 2017, 01:08:37 AM
Reply #113

Confucius

NSNO Subscriber
I would like to ask when baines was so brilliant without a pivot in front of him. He was only ever world class when Pienaar was in front of him and to a lesser extent Ossie.
Farhad Moshiri, Alisher Usmanov, Muhamed Besic, Idrissa Gana Gueye, Ademola Lookman, Oumar Niasse, David Henen, Barack Hussein Obama, Confucius... Everton Muslims growing stronger...

October 17, 2017, 05:57:07 AM
Reply #114

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Get him DM for Morgan.

October 24, 2017, 07:26:09 AM
Reply #115

Tony Clifton

He's not much more than a remnant of the Cozy Moyes era now, in a bad way.  Him, Jagielka, Mirallas...

We've not done transition very well at all going back to Moyes' era when we should have been phasing out the likes of Hibbert, Osman etc.  Let's catch up, soon.  Please.

October 24, 2017, 07:53:50 AM
Reply #116

Ridge

I think the full backs license is directly relative to how well you're able to defend. When centre backs play forwards onside in behind you, you've gone an obligation to not get caught out first and foremost and our left side is the most secure part of our defence at the moment.  Even if he's not contributing as much going forward, he's always been a bit vulnerable. But he's experienced, reliable and probably has the cleanest underwear of our defenders.

Cuco and Holgate can go down wing and create more play and chances, but I'd still take a single Baines cross to 5 or 6 crosses from our right back options. We could yet see Baines given more encouragement to get forward under Unsworth.

I would also think he might bring through Garbutt. He was supposed to be challening Baines last season per Martinez, but Koeman didn't fancy him. He might give the team a better balance or Baines a reason to return to attacking form or more willingness to bust a gut, when he gets a chance.

October 24, 2017, 01:54:27 PM
Reply #117

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber

:'(

October 24, 2017, 03:19:20 PM
Reply #118

Lxxx

He's not much more than a remnant of the Cozy Moyes era now, in a bad way.  Him, Jagielka, Mirallas...

We've not done transition very well at all going back to Moyes' era when we should have been phasing out the likes of Hibbert, Osman etc.  Let's catch up, soon.  Please.

I tend to agree. The fact the same bad habits have tended to run through Martinez and Koeman’s eras means their is something rotten somewhere.