November 23, 2017, 12:41:58 AM

Author Topic: Merson on our one-paced recruitment  (Read 1605 times)

September 24, 2017, 02:55:47 PM
Read 1605 times

sam of the south

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/857904/Everton-news-Ronald-Koeman-Premier-League-Wayne-Rooney-Paul-Merson

Everton news: There is one big problem at the club -

PAUL MERSON says Everton have one big problem - their side has no pace.

The Toffees sold Romelu Lukaku to Manchester United this summer and spent more than £140million on eight senior additions.

Those include Gylfi Sigurdsson, Wayne Rooney and Davy Klaassen but the Toffees have struggled this season.

After five games they languish in the bottom three and Merson thinks it's all down to a lack of speed in their side.

He told the Daily Star: "Everton can moan all they like about not signing a centre forward to replace Romelu Lukaku, but their biggest problem is they’ve no pace.

"Ronald Koeman is under pressure because they’ve spent big and started badly and his team aren’t just losing, they’re being blown away.

"Chelsea could easily have put five or six past them. So could Tottenham – and I honestly can’t remember Everton rolling over that easily to anyone at Goodison for years.

"They had a shocker in Europe as well against Atalanta. But don’t blame it all on not getting Olivier Giroud. Speed is much more important.

"Teams are suffocating them because they don’t have anyone who can stretch a game and get behind the back four.

"But the crazy thing is they weren’t even trying to buy that kind of player. Koeman has bought some great players, but they’re too similar and none of them are quick.

"Wayne Rooney, Davy Klaassen and Gylfi Sigurdsson are all good players. But they need runners around them. They need people to pick out.

"If you look at that team it’s too slow. They must be thinking they’ve missed a trick here, surely?

Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

deCoubertin

September 24, 2017, 03:06:44 PM
Reply #1

Jamokachi

We do have 2 very pace players to come back from injury though...

September 24, 2017, 03:08:29 PM
Reply #2

sam of the south

We do have 2 very pace players to come back from injury though...

When do you think they will both be back up to speed? (pardon the pun)

September 24, 2017, 03:10:55 PM
Reply #3

Jamokachi

When do you think they will both be back up to speed? (pardon the pun)

Judging by the fact Coleman is back kicking a ball in training I think he will be sooner than we were expecting!

September 24, 2017, 03:15:06 PM
Reply #4

sam of the south

Judging by the fact Coleman is back kicking a ball in training I think he will be sooner than we were expecting!

That would be wonderful.

I feel it will be a while until he is ready for the rigeurs of full sprinting, and 90 mins of ploughing up and down the right flank regularly in the EPL, though.

Also, let's hope none of his zip has been sapped by the injury itself and the lay-off it has enforced.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 03:34:02 PM by sam of the south »

September 24, 2017, 03:24:06 PM
Reply #5

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
I can see what he's saying, if you look at that starting line up yesterday, you've got maybe 3 players who are pacy, Holgate, Gana and Calvert-Lewin, but only one who will really use pace in an attacking sense

In the squad we've got Coleman, Bolasie, Kenny, Lookman, Vlasic, Mirallas, Lennon, Niasse and Sandro who have got a turn of pace, so I do think we have players who can inject pace into the side

The game isn't all about pace however. I think you can get round not having lots of it, possibly more important is how quickly you move the ball, and how good your off the ball movement is

We were laboured yesterday when moving the ball about. Seemed to be a lot of the time where Schneiderlin or Gana had it and they had to turn back on themselves and hold on to it or pass it back as no one was making themselves available

I would blame 5 players for that yesterday. The 2 full backs are the only wide players that we start with and they need to be constant outlets, and the 3 number 10s, who appear to be contributing very little at the moment, possibly because there are 2 too many of them in a congested area of the pitch

Dom Calvert-Lewin appeared to be the only one providing that attacking speed and movement, and we only took advantage of this when we got the quick thinking Davies on in midfield, and a partner for him up front, in Niasse

We can move on from here and pick up lots of points before any more additions, but the manager needs to work out what hasn't been working well for us this season so far and correct it, and not make the same mistakes again. Sometimes you can get away with a poor first half showing and wrong team selection by making the right subs. Other times the game will already be out of reach. Potentially 2 of the key substitutions yesterday were forced on him through injury, lets just hope that he realises that they would have been the correct ones regardless
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

September 24, 2017, 04:48:57 PM
Reply #6

eyesalwaysblue

Seeing Seamus on the pitch will lift everyone...Pure 100% Everton FC in a bottle.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

September 24, 2017, 05:00:12 PM
Reply #7

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
@sam of the south bit low-brow from you mate thinking that Merson has anything worthwhile to say (other than repeating what every other pundit said a month ago?)

I prefer the headline on the page itself:

"Everton news: There is one big problem at club - Paul Merson"

September 24, 2017, 05:25:48 PM
Reply #8

sam of the south

@sam of the south bit low-brow from you mate thinking that Merson has anything worthwhile to say (other than repeating what every other pundit said a month ago?)

I prefer the headline on the page itself:

"Everton news: There is one big problem at club - Paul Merson"

I'm quoting it because this article is the second time in the media that this obvious problem we have has been highlighted (after Carragher last week)

It is relevant to the forum(whether you agree with it or not)because it is Everton related, and it is something that a fair few on here have been saying for a while.

As for 'low brow', suck my plums.

Now that is low brow 😉

September 24, 2017, 05:27:08 PM
Reply #9

Mayor Farnum

What did football fans ever do before Paul Merson's insightful, informative musings?

September 24, 2017, 06:16:44 PM
Reply #10

The Analog Kid

I remember the times when Merson used to totally bum us, never had a bad word said against us. He needs to get back on the mozam.

September 24, 2017, 08:05:29 PM
Reply #11

MrWhite

NSNO Subscriber
I'm quoting it because this article is the second time in the media that this obvious problem we have has been highlighted (after Carragher last week)

It is relevant to the forum(whether you agree with it or not)because it is Everton related, and it is something that a fair few on here have been saying for a while.

As for 'low brow', suck my plums.

Now that is low brow

No mate I meant he's low brow, not you. The topic is valid just he's slow to repeat others opinions.

September 24, 2017, 08:21:38 PM
Reply #12

Juanito

No mate I meant he's low brow, not you. The topic is valid just he's slow to repeat others opinions.

Nah, not sure. Merson would credit Everton when others wouldn't. He watches Everton play so how do you know he is commenting on what he has seen, rather than copying other people's opinions?

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 08:46:01 PM by Juanito »

September 24, 2017, 09:16:53 PM
Reply #13

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
When 2 of our more pacey players come on (Kenny and Niasse) we looked a completely different team.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

September 24, 2017, 09:31:53 PM
Reply #14

Realist