October 22, 2017, 05:14:58 PM

Author Topic: Merson on our one-paced recruitment  (Read 1312 times)

September 24, 2017, 11:09:49 PM
Reply #15

Everton Mint

Lack of pace maybe,  but first we have to sort out the right line-up, formation and tactics.

Get them right, stop playing three No.10's and narrow and it wont be the issue it seems.

deCoubertin

September 24, 2017, 11:17:12 PM
Reply #16

Bluedylan

Stopped reading at 'Merson..'
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

September 24, 2017, 11:21:06 PM
Reply #17

Lxxx

Seeing Seamus on the pitch will lift everyone...Pure 100% Everton FC in a bottle.

His identikit younger model did just that at weekend.

September 25, 2017, 12:45:47 AM
Reply #18

ally2

Merson's a tit

Yes he is a tit. But he's a likeable tit. And I'm kind of glad he's on the TV really as a bit of light relief. Also because if he wasn't I imagine he's he might be found living in a cardboard box on the street or something.

September 25, 2017, 02:41:15 AM
Reply #19

Faceatthefence

Yes he is a tit. But he's a likeable tit. And I'm kind of glad he's on the TV really as a bit of light relief. Also because if he wasn't I imagine he's he might be found living in a cardboard box on the street or something.
Gave us a lot of good press over the years and ripped martinez a new one publically on our behalf,just a bit miffed as weve all been recently in the manner of our defeats.In true fashion Everton will let you down and we come out fighting the knockers.
Night comes down and finds you alone
In a space and time of your own
Lost in dreams in world full of shadows.

September 25, 2017, 03:43:47 AM
Reply #20

MrWhite

Nah, not sure. Merson would credit Everton when others wouldn't. He watches Everton play so how do you know he is commenting on what he has seen, rather than copying other people's opinions?
If a pundit can only say what others have already said.. he's stealing a living. if he is independently reaching the same conclusions but taking longer.. he is stealing a living. Waiting a month and a half to tell us what we knew at the  start of August? You are really commending that level of punditry?!

September 25, 2017, 03:08:42 PM
Reply #21

Mayor Farnum

So Sky subscribers should prop him up after he earned a considerable amount of money during his playing career.

Football punditry is the biggest gravy train in football. It's not what you say it's how you say it. 

September 25, 2017, 03:25:38 PM
Reply #22

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
He's not wrong really.

But Coleman behind Sigurdsson & Bolasie in front of Baines massively transforms what this team looks like.
Koeman mentioned November as being reasonable for both of them to be in fullt training. If they both come back the players they were for the Christmas fixtures it will be a massive boost.

September 25, 2017, 04:04:07 PM
Reply #23

formerKHL

merson is spot on...everyone can see we lack pace from midfield forward the other bit he missed was the width, or lack of....

pace is important there isn't a slower team in the PL than us as I see it

September 25, 2017, 05:06:36 PM
Reply #24

Gary1878

Pace is important but more important is to move the ball with pace and accuracy, and have good movement.

That said, it will be good to get Coleman and Bolasie back.

September 25, 2017, 05:15:06 PM
Reply #25

ally2

So Sky subscribers should prop him up after he earned a considerable amount of money during his playing career.

Football punditry is the biggest gravy train in football. It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Totally agree. I just think he'd maybe one to fall off the rails that's all. Not a reason typo kepi him in a job. I like him in that he doesn't pretend to be knowledgeable!  Compared to someone like Shearer, Redknappp etc

September 25, 2017, 05:22:35 PM
Reply #26

themilkycoffees

Pace is just one of the issues we need to address. Another is the lack of balance in team selections so far. I think Coleman and Bolasie returning will go some way to addressing both of these issues but why wait until November/December to fix the problems?

We have players like Kenny, Lookman, Vlasic, and Mirallas who would give us a much needed injection of pace and make us much more balanced. I think the main reason we look so pedestrian is the lack of options our central midfielders have. It's telling that Martina is probably our main outlet and is subsequently receiving the ball so often.

September 25, 2017, 05:31:18 PM
Reply #27

Lxxx

I still don't know what Koeman's thoughts are concerning the left hand side of the pitch, it's like it doesn't exist. There doesn't seem to be any instructions to tell anyone in particular to stay out there. Whenever anyone gets the ball they just look right or backwards. Vlasic would be the only one who might be able to fulfil the role but he's in and out of the side.
The complete inbalance of the team is a much more pressing issue than just pace.

September 27, 2017, 09:27:45 AM
Reply #28

Juanito

If a pundit can only say what others have already said.. he's stealing a living. if he is independently reaching the same conclusions but taking longer.. he is stealing a living. Waiting a month and a half to tell us what we knew at the  start of August? You are really commending that level of punditry?!

We don't know the context of the article. He might have been asked to do it about Everton and it does not take a genius to see what our massive problem is. Point is, You don't know if he is saying that because other commentators have said that or because that's what he sees, probably the latter as it's so painfully obvious. I don't think he is a skilled pundit. I think the podcasters on the totally football show are. He is harmless and actually likes Everton by all accounts which is welcome when most of the pundits out there seem to be x redshites.

September 27, 2017, 11:59:48 AM
Reply #29

arteta4spain

I still don't know what Koeman's thoughts are concerning the left hand side of the pitch, it's like it doesn't exist. There doesn't seem to be any instructions to tell anyone in particular to stay out there. Whenever anyone gets the ball they just look right or backwards. Vlasic would be the only one who might be able to fulfil the role but he's in and out of the side.
The complete inbalance of the team is a much more pressing issue than just pace.
Do you think that Koeman, and maybe Martinez to some extent, thinks that it would hinder Baines as he can ( well occasionally now) whip in a cross? Madness that like. It's like Bainaar never existed!