October 19, 2019, 08:27:38 AM

Author Topic: Everton vs Apollon Limassol  (Read 31977 times)

September 25, 2017, 01:24:55 AM
Read 31977 times

bluenuck

3 points. Dominating performance.

I expect nothing less.

September 25, 2017, 06:27:49 AM
Reply #1

bluenuck

I see the anti-Koeman brigade are already baying for blood with these thinly veiled comments. A 2-0 win will probably be met with derision.

I'm willing to give koeman at lots of time. Not doing great right now but I like him and think he can get it right.

I still expect us to win this game though very comfortably.

September 25, 2017, 11:17:36 PM
Reply #2

bluenuck

Play Rooney in this and drop him for the weekend in preparation for phasing him out.

I was thinking the same thing.

He can play centre forward for these group stage games, and should be riding pine on the weekends.

September 27, 2017, 02:16:40 AM
Reply #3

bluenuck

Analytics......

Everyone trying to be the new Bill James.

September 27, 2017, 04:15:16 AM
Reply #4

bluenuck

@kramer0 does a fantastic job of presenting the analytic stuff in a way that I can (mostly) understand, though.  I am constantly amazed, as it would seem that footy would be much harder to reduce to numerical formulas than baseball and basketball.

Analytics, metrics, or whatever you want to call it, works perfect for baseball. At least the individual player stats in my opinion. In baseball you can take Mike Trout and put him on any team and he'll basically have the same numbers. The only thing really effecting his hitting, other than himself, is who hits behind him. In football it matters who you play with on what team. This is why I find individual analytical stats(not team stats) really hard to grasp in other team sports other than baseball.

Baseball is unique in that it is a very individualist team sport so you can break down every play that every player makes because he's pretty much the only one involved.

This is what I see anyway. I could be way off the mark and I'd gladly listen to @kramer0 or anyone else tell me otherwise.  :)

P.S. I would love it if @kramer0   started a "getting to know analytics" thread. If he's up to it? Then we won't have to talk about it in here.

September 29, 2017, 01:10:51 AM
Reply #5

bluenuck

Hope it's a 4-3-1-2 with Siggurdsson being the 10 and Rooney and Sandro the 2 strikers

September 29, 2017, 02:16:50 AM
Reply #6

bluenuck

Rooney dropping back onto our 18 yard line to do nothing but getting in the way ruin any forward shape

He has to be dropped or told where to play.

If he's playing centre forward, PLAY centre forward.

September 29, 2017, 02:22:14 AM
Reply #7

bluenuck

Wow. The opposition out hustling, and out working us and they're rewarded with a mistake.

It all just seems so simple.

September 29, 2017, 02:28:42 AM
Reply #8

bluenuck

It was a gift, yes, but the pressure on the ball carrier by Sandro was what made it happen. More of that please.

September 29, 2017, 05:04:25 AM
Reply #9

bluenuck

Pretty sad this. It really tells it all. 4 guys stepping on each others toes just over the mid field line with no-one even in the attacking 3rd let alone out wide deeming our full backs useless, and having absolutely no target to pass to leading the line.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:06:16 AM by bluenuck »

September 29, 2017, 05:08:53 AM
Reply #10

bluenuck

Worst thing about it is Ashley Williams number being on the graphic.

Actually, the worst thing is is we're almost attacking with only 1-2 men. Kenny and Baines are useless and we have 4 guys on top of each other.