October 22, 2017, 10:29:44 PM

Author Topic: Everton vs Apollon Limassol  (Read 9081 times)

September 26, 2017, 08:54:41 PM
Reply #45

Sir Stealth

NSNO Subscriber
@kramer0 what has our formation been in the last two games?

Where has Sigurdsson occupied?

Well against Bournemouth I'd say he started as the left of an attacking midfield 3 behind Calvert Lewin

Pickford

Martina Holgate Williams Baines

Gana Schneiderlin

Rooney Klaassen Sigurdsson

Calvert-Lewin

I'd say he finished as a central attacking midfielder though

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Williams Baines

Davies Gana Schneiderlin

Sigurdsson

Calvert-Lewin Niasse

Which is the shape and in the main the personnel that I would be going for right now. 2nd choice behind Sigurdsson to be fought out between Rooney and Klaassen

DCL is untouchable and has to play. Sandro and Niasse fighting to play alongside him with specific instruction to Sandro if he does start to get in the fucking box and have some shots!less picking the ball up and running sideways across the midfield.

Likewise with Rooney, Sigurdsson and Klaassen (and only one of them is allowed to play!) I would say 'listen lads there's a back 4 and 3 centre mids behind you, just concentrate on the attacking side of the game, try and get into the box and try and link up with those in front of you!
You think Lou Bega knocked it out of the park with Mambo number 1?!No but he kept at it!

September 26, 2017, 09:26:27 PM
Reply #46

American Evertonian

He played in his preferred position against Atalanta and was atrocious to be fair.

I couldn't watch the match but sounded like everyone was on that night
A ship is safe in the harbor, but that's not what ships are for.

September 26, 2017, 11:06:14 PM
Reply #47

everton1952

This may have been answered but I can't find it. Why is Niasse ineligible on Thursday? Does it apply to further Europa games?

September 27, 2017, 12:08:55 AM
Reply #48

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
This may have been answered but I can't find it. Why is Niasse ineligible on Thursday? Does it apply to further Europa games?

He wasnt registered as part of the Europa squad.
I have to return some videotapes.

September 27, 2017, 12:25:14 AM
Reply #49

SANA_DR0

Going to change the team to the team i wish i get to see on Thursday.. lol

Pickford

Kenny Holgate Jagielka  Baines

Vlasic Gana Davies   Lookman

Siggy (or Sandro)
                    DCL
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:50:14 AM by SANA_DR0 »
Koeman is taking Everton places. Namely, the Championship.

September 27, 2017, 12:31:30 AM
Reply #50

kramer0

From the United match (click on the pass map in the bottom right corner):

https://twitter.com/11tegen11/status/909471026945433606

The pass map suggests that, in that match, he was mostly tucking in from the left wing (which certainly confirms the eye test). Unfortunately, I couldn't find the map from the Bournemouth match (which is probably more indicative of how Koeman wants to play) but I imagine it shows something similar in terms of Sigurdsson's average position.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:32:42 AM by kramer0 »

September 27, 2017, 12:55:19 AM
Reply #51

Buck76

Pickford

Gana
     Davies                 Vlasic
                  Siggy

Rooney    DCL

September 27, 2017, 01:05:10 AM
Reply #52

TheTone

From the United match (click on the pass map in the bottom right corner):

https://twitter.com/11tegen11/status/909471026945433606

The pass map suggests that, in that match, he was mostly tucking in from the left wing (which certainly confirms the eye test). Unfortunately, I couldn't find the map from the Bournemouth match (which is probably more indicative of how Koeman wants to play) but I imagine it shows something similar in terms of Sigurdsson's average position.

September 27, 2017, 02:16:40 AM
Reply #53

bluenuck

Analytics......

Everyone trying to be the new Bill James.

September 27, 2017, 02:53:53 AM
Reply #54

bacon sarnie

He wasnt registered as part of the Europa squad.

That was clever. Is he saving him for the big games?

September 27, 2017, 03:12:09 AM
Reply #55

Everton Mint

What? We're more or less on par from with most people would have hoped from those first six fixtures. Granted performances haven't been great and the goal difference has taken a hammering but to say ditch the EL for the league because we've not played well is a bit silly.

Where did I say ditch it ? I said its a 'must-win' for progress.

It's just that personally I'm not that bothered about the EL as I've seen again just how important the PL results are.

And given how many games and difficult the EL is to win I think our chances are pretty remote anyway.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:14:43 AM by Everton Mint »

September 27, 2017, 03:46:48 AM
Reply #56

Evertonian in NC

@kramer0 does a fantastic job of presenting the analytic stuff in a way that I can (mostly) understand, though.  I am constantly amazed, as it would seem that footy would be much harder to reduce to numerical formulas than baseball and basketball.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 27, 2017, 04:15:16 AM
Reply #57

bluenuck

@kramer0 does a fantastic job of presenting the analytic stuff in a way that I can (mostly) understand, though.  I am constantly amazed, as it would seem that footy would be much harder to reduce to numerical formulas than baseball and basketball.

Analytics, metrics, or whatever you want to call it, works perfect for baseball. At least the individual player stats in my opinion. In baseball you can take Mike Trout and put him on any team and he'll basically have the same numbers. The only thing really effecting his hitting, other than himself, is who hits behind him. In football it matters who you play with on what team. This is why I find individual analytical stats(not team stats) really hard to grasp in other team sports other than baseball.

Baseball is unique in that it is a very individualist team sport so you can break down every play that every player makes because he's pretty much the only one involved.

This is what I see anyway. I could be way off the mark and I'd gladly listen to @kramer0 or anyone else tell me otherwise.  :)

P.S. I would love it if @kramer0   started a "getting to know analytics" thread. If he's up to it? Then we won't have to talk about it in here.

September 27, 2017, 04:33:34 AM
Reply #58

Heisenberg

Pickford

Gana
     Davies                 Vlasic
                  Siggy

Rooney    DCL

Looks good when written down in this formation. But in practice, with this team it soon turns to 4-1-1-1-1-1-1

Lookman needs to play

September 27, 2017, 03:22:23 PM
Reply #59

van der Meyde

Bournemouth game, apologies for the big image.