October 19, 2017, 07:43:58 PM

Author Topic: So What Needs To Change?  (Read 598 times)

September 29, 2017, 02:42:45 PM
Read 598 times

Lazarou

Various theories on various threads, but what do we really need to do to turn what is a good squad with quality players into a team that performs, although I think Koeman has had enough time I doubt he is going anywhere anytime soon. For me I would:-

Drop Rooney.
Start DCL in every match for at least 10 games.
Play either Schneiderlin or Ghana at home against inferior opposition.
Start at least one out and out winger. Vlasic impressed last night.
Sigurdsson in the centre.
Drop Williams when Jags or Keane are fit.

deCoubertin

September 29, 2017, 02:47:26 PM
Reply #1

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
The manager
I have to return some videotapes.

September 29, 2017, 02:47:55 PM
Reply #2

sirblue57

Drop Williams regardless.
Agree with the the rest, but play a formation with players in their proper position. It's not fucking rocket science, but seems beyond the mindset of Koeman.
I'm the "trophy husband" from the game my wife regrets playing.

September 29, 2017, 02:49:39 PM
Reply #3

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Apart from Bournemouth Rooney has been involved in all our goals this season.

Given a choice over him, klassen and Siggurdson, it's Rooney every time over me.

Have him number 10 with runners outwide is my preference.

September 29, 2017, 02:54:06 PM
Reply #4

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
The balance of the side just isn't there
4 at the back
One in front of the them
2 Harrassing to get the ball bacl
2 Attacking midfielders
1 Centre forward

Genuinely past caring about who plays as in general they have all been shite and not one player (Pickford and Baines aside, for different reasons) have nailed down a position

Work on a pattern, a purposeful and meaningful style of play. Then stick with it to see if it works

Don't over rotate players either, they don't know if they are coming and going

Simply simply lovely

September 29, 2017, 03:19:44 PM
Reply #5

dazfrancis

Apart from Bournemouth Rooney has been involved in all our goals this season.

Given a choice over him, klassen and Siggurdson, it's Rooney every time over me.

Have him number 10 with runners outwide is my preference.

Playing with three 10's is not working, it hasn't worked for about 10 games and is not going work in the future.

It's like the Lampard, Gerrard, Scholes situation with England. Shoehorning 3 very similar players into the team, resulting in a disjointed style of play.

IMO it's more important to have a system that works and that requires some width, movement and pace. We have players in our team who can offer that but Koeman doesn't play them.

September 29, 2017, 03:37:07 PM
Reply #6

Captain Sarcasm

One thing is clear to me and it is the over-rotation of players. For example, take the Man City game. The team played relatively well in that game and the stand out player for most of us was DCL. Since then RK has hardly played him or if he has it has been as a sub. Why would you do that? If a player is doing well then he surely deserves to stay in the side.

Another issue is the lack of pace or width. Pretty much all of us have been calling for Vlasic, Lookman or Mirallas to be given a go as it is crystal clear we are lacking width and pace. The only person who is seemingly against this is RK!

The definition of madness is continuing to do something when it isn't working. If RK doesn't dispense with this 'head in the sand' approach, the mild wave of anger towards him will substantially increase. The Burnley game is massive or else he could find himself dispensed with.

September 29, 2017, 03:41:22 PM
Reply #7

Optimistic Blue

Play players in their positions.

Its actually embaressing how simple this problem is to fix
you cant take the right out of Kenwright

September 29, 2017, 03:46:23 PM
Reply #8

Bluedylan

I'd 100% play Gylfi in his position over Rooney. I just think he's a much better player at this point and even in this absolute shitshow, you're starting to see the genuine quality that Gylfi could bring to a balanced team.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

September 29, 2017, 03:57:25 PM
Reply #9

Robioto

Rooney may well have been involved in a lot of our goals but the way he runs around like a headless chicken kills our shape and hurts the teams as a whole. Either tell him to stop roaming and stick to his position more or drop him, the way he roams around does us no favours. He is not a Messi or Hazard type figure who are actually good enough to free roam, Rooney in hos older years is a limited player and needs to play within those limits to be truely effective.

I think a team without Rooney has better shape and overall would function better outweighing what Rooney offeres on an indivdiual basis.

We severly lack pace without Lookman, Vlasic and Calvert-Lewin, so need to play 2 of those 3 to be a proper direct attacking threat (probably Vlasic and Calvert-Lewin).

When Jags and Keane are fit, Williams needs to be dropped, he's been a walking disaster this season.

Start Kenny in as many games as is realistic instead of Martina, I don't actually think Kenny played that well last night but he's still better than bloody Martina.

Play Sigurdsson in the number 10 role where he belongs.

Stop playing Gueye and Schneiderlin at home to weak opposition, it invites pressure, we need to be on the front foot in these games.

You CAN'T have your width supplied only from an aging Baines who is clearly not as good as he once was (still a great player for us though) and Kenny/Martina, they are just not good enough to be a real threat.

Failing that, get someone else in to manage the team who does actually know what they are doing and is not blind to extremely obvious problems.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 04:08:48 PM by Robioto »

September 29, 2017, 04:04:40 PM
Reply #10

Macca77

Start again from scratch

September 29, 2017, 04:08:54 PM
Reply #11

hill135

It's quite a complicated issue I reckon. It's a mixture of circumstances, the manager and the players so a lot needs to change.

The recruitment doesn't look great at this point and there are big gaps in the squad. And while people often dismiss it I do think we're struggling with the fixture pileup brought on by the EL. There's not enough time to prepare tactically for each game. Last night we played a diamond. A very specific system, new to the players, and it didn't start working until the second half. It's hard to drill it in to the players in a few days.

The manager needs to decide on a balanced system or two and hammer it in to the players. I feel we do need to rotate players due to the number of games we have but we don't need to change the shape from game-to-game as it's confusing. We need to pick a settled back four though and some players have to play because we're better when they're in the team. Keep Sandro and Klaassen for the EL as they're struggling to adapt.

The players also need to grow a fucking set. They're either really low on confidence, which I would put down to our recent run of form and the confusing tactics rather than man-management, or they're not playing for the manager. In each case I want to know why. If they've given up that's the second time in recent years so they really need to stop being so precious and do their jobs.

I wouldn't be arsed to see him go but I'm not sure who we could get. Tuchel's style of football with some of our players is a scary thought and I'm not sure how many in-work managers would consider an offer this early in to the season

September 29, 2017, 04:20:07 PM
Reply #12

Lxxx

If it doesn't get any better quickly I would seriously look at installing Unsworth as caretaker manager if we can't tempt a bigger out of work name.

This isn't because I am banging the Unsworth drum but he gets Everton, he gets his teams playing a certain way and it looks like he believes in playing a balanced system with width and tempo.
I just see a disconnect in that side between the manager and players. They look lost, devoid of confidence and lacking in spark. I just don't think he's a good manager. He's a very experienced individual who commands short term respect from his achievements in the game but when that wears off he just looks lost.

If he doesn't start playing with some width very soon he'll be out of a job.

September 29, 2017, 04:33:37 PM
Reply #13

mikey_blue

You've got to put some pace in the squad. Nothing else matters if we don't have at least 2 players who can run at defenders, then we're toothless. Pace is so crucial in the modern game.

I'd have DCL as our number 9 (obvious at this point) with Vlasic, Lookman, Lennon fuck it, even Kev.

I'm all for giving players minutes and time to improve, but players like Klassen are going to have to wait for their chance, because we're in a hole at the moment, and we're not going to get out of it playing players who aren't acclimatised to the league or are on zero confidence.

I'd go for:

Pickford
Kenny Keane Jags Baines
        Morgan Davies
Lennon   Rooney    Vlasic
               DCL

September 29, 2017, 04:36:54 PM
Reply #14

themilkycoffees

Martinez was sacked for his stubbornness and Koeman looks to be on the same path. The very best managers are constantly adapting. The solution seems so simple to all of us watching in the stands. He needs to introduce some pace and balance into the side immediately or he will be gone. It's as simple as that.