October 15, 2018, 09:38:47 PM

Author Topic: [News]Klaassen: Adapting to English game has not been easy  (Read 25351 times)

December 19, 2017, 03:52:21 AM
Reply #15

Lxxx

9th PL game on the bounce this fella hasn't even made the squad.

Was an unused sub in the 3 games prior to that.

Bye bye January I think.

£15m+ and I'd snap your hand off. Put the money towards a replacement for Baines.

December 19, 2017, 04:27:35 AM
Reply #16

Lxxx

I kind of hope that the solidity and improved form we're building will actually be the foundations to start reintegrating the likes of Klaassen and Sandro back in to the squad.  It's pretty hard to judge them based on what's happened so far this season, and perhaps taking them out of the firing line is actually going to do them a world of good.  Much easier for these players to adapt playing in a team that's in form and playing well, rather than the absolute shambles they were trying to find their feet in.

I really don't see any benefit in getting rid in January, unless Allardyce has completely made his mind up already.

Or unless it's sell to buy, which wouldn't be unreasonable in January.

January 22, 2018, 09:57:14 PM
Reply #17

Lxxx

He's had 6 months to get up to speed and still Sam said he's not showing enough in training to warrant a place in the squad. I suppose he's a Rooney/Sig-lite and if he can't find a place for both of them at once then he's not going to find a slot for Klaassan.

January 23, 2018, 02:16:32 AM
Reply #18

Lxxx

Could be he knows thereís no space for all 3 and politically itís easiest by far to get rid of Klaassen so why bother even giving him a chance.

Could be a bit of that as well. Itíd pay for a new left back if he can tempt a buyer in the summer.

January 23, 2018, 04:20:17 PM
Reply #19

Lxxx

To play Klaassan would mean dropping Sig/Rooney. Isn't gonna happen when these boys have proven themselves as great players in this league. Just a very poor signing, completely unnecessary and needs to be moved on so we can find players we need.

January 23, 2018, 05:36:49 PM
Reply #20

Lxxx

I'm not advocating playing Klaassen but that's a strange statement IMHO. Both Rooney and Sig  have proven themselves as great players in this league, but neither have performed well enough in the no 10 role to say they should consistently play there

I agree but it looks like from Sam's perspective, with an 18 month contract, that he's going to rely on proven experience. It's a consequence of the board's short term appointment I'm afraid.

January 31, 2018, 05:33:13 PM
Reply #21

Lxxx

It took Bergkamp 2 seasons to adapt to the premier league, he admitted that himself, not saying Klaassen is on the same level as him like, but he was basically written off after 3 games for us

He'll have come into a side challenging for the league and winning most weeks though. 

January 31, 2018, 06:03:47 PM
Reply #22

Lxxx

The warning signs were there; the best players in this league are either strong, quick or both. If you’re neither of those and you want to play for a top team then you need to a be a really fucking good footballer. I mean David Silva/Fabregas/Mata good. He’s neither strong and quick and not in the class of the 3 I just mentioned. Which means he’s in Morrison/Allen/Britton territory; and players of that level won’t improve us.

Not sure I agree with that. If you put a young Silva/Fabregas/Mata in a foreign country and in a team that is struggling for any kind of confidence, that doesn't pass the ball and is losing most weeks then I'm not sure their quality would automatically shine through.
I'm not saying that Klaassan is in their league but he's clearly not as shit as we've seen so far.

January 31, 2018, 08:36:32 PM
Reply #23

Lxxx

Of course it would, at least in glimpses. For a start, they'd always be looking to get involved and get on the ball rather than making silly "ghost runs".

I'm not defending him as I think he's been poor when he's played but I just don't think he's as shite as we've seen so far. The lad has captained Ajax, won titles, is an experienced international and has played and scored in the Champions League for a few years. He's not alone this season as everyone has under-performed but he wouldn't be the first to struggle in his first year moving to this country.

February 02, 2018, 09:58:02 PM
Reply #24

Lxxx

So 6 months of missing out on a few quid, even though it'd still be substantially higher than his wages he's been used to all his life, to give up the chance of playing for a very good team at the top of Serie A and sampling a different country, culture and lifestyle for a bit. I'd suggest our Davy is not such a smashing lad after all.

February 03, 2018, 03:00:35 AM
Reply #25

Lxxx

Sounds more like his agent has pulled all the strings and Davy hasn't had much of a say in any of it

The agent works on behalf of the player not the other way around.

June 10, 2018, 10:59:10 PM
Reply #26

Lxxx

Has anyone actually got any decent info on this deal or are we all running on a bit of gossip from Turkey, the most reliable of places for football gossip.

June 12, 2018, 01:44:45 AM
Reply #27

Lxxx

Heard Besiktas have turned attention to other options - one being Manuel Fernandes.

We may as well keep Klaassen around anyway... still keen to prove himself here, seems like a good lad, and he could very well be of some use - unlike a dozen or so others in the squad. 

I just don't see where he plays though, especially if Brands wants to give youngsters a go as well. He's not strong enough to tackle a paper bag in central midfield and we have Sig and Vlasic who are more suited to this league as an attacking midfielder. I know he must have something about him to be a well regarded captain of Ajax but I didn't see anything last season to make me think there was a player there.

Still, at £120k/week if we can't offload him as you say we have no choice but to have him around.