November 19, 2017, 10:23:53 PM

Poll

Have you changed your mind on Rooney?

Author Topic: Have you changed your mind on Rooney?  (Read 1524 times)

September 30, 2017, 05:43:09 PM
Reply #30

toffee_scot

He took him off in the Bounemouth game because of an eye injury.

Wayne Rooney continued to play on with the eye injury, he could have come off at half time but he didn't come off until 10 minutes into the second half, Koeman subbed off Davy Klaassen at the same time because he could finally see that his starting system for the umpteenth time wasn't working so he changed the shape and brought on Niasse and Davies who brought more energy in the attack.

Although the eye incident did get Wayne Rooney quite wound up so that might have also been a factor in Koeman taking him off. 

deCoubertin

September 30, 2017, 05:59:09 PM
Reply #31

blargins

NSNO Subscriber
I think we would be a better team without him. We should build the team around Sigurdsson and not Rooney.
"All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
- Walt Disney

September 30, 2017, 06:03:01 PM
Reply #32

ally2

I haven't changed my mind. Eventually I wanted him to come back (not initially) and I think in the main he has been over of our better players (though that really isn't saying much).

Agree with BD though - his positional discipline has Rio be better. He needs to reign that in.

I want to see him up front or nothing, preferably in a front two.

September 30, 2017, 06:20:41 PM
Reply #33

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Thought he could revitalise himself and give something to the team

He hasn't

He hasnt looked worse than anyone else to be absolutely fair. They're all terrible at the moment.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 30, 2017, 07:31:00 PM
Reply #34

blueski

He creates some tactical problems but can't be faulted for effort or commitment or desire to win - ultimately then if he's used and the team performance suffers it's really not his fault; it's down to something external to him like the tactics the set up the individuals around him etc I think a fairer judge would be to play him for a run of games with an actual quality striker up top
Nil Satis

September 30, 2017, 08:28:24 PM
Reply #35

Evertonian in NC

He took him off in the Bounemouth game because of an eye injury.

No, Koeman said point-blank it was tactical
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 30, 2017, 08:37:10 PM
Reply #36

Realist

Pretty much as I expected on the field and in the media.

Anyone know if he's effected our social media numbers?

Who's arsed about that honestly?

September 30, 2017, 08:40:09 PM
Reply #37

Realist

Wayne Rooney continued to play on with the eye injury, he could have come off at half time but he didn't come off until 10 minutes into the second half, Koeman subbed off Davy Klaassen at the same time because he could finally see that his starting system for the umpteenth time wasn't working so he changed the shape and brought on Niasse and Davies who brought more energy in the attack.

Although the eye incident did get Wayne Rooney quite wound up so that might have also been a factor in Koeman taking him off.

Then he proceeded to play the original system again in the Limassol game

September 30, 2017, 08:49:23 PM
Reply #38

toffee_scot

Indeed and this is what really pisses me off about the current manager and I am expecting the same against Burnley.

September 30, 2017, 08:52:40 PM
Reply #39

dazfrancis

He needs to stop fucking wandering so deep to get the ball and be patient and wait til someone finds him in space in the final third. If he can't find space centrally because there are sixteen other 10's occupying that space he should pull wide or as a senior player tell them to position themselves wide.

He hasn't lost much physically, he can still finish, he can still play a pass, he still has great vision and is still excellent at linking up with team mates. He just doesn't have the tactical discipline to play in a system because he fucks the system up when he goes wandering.

EDIT: And IMO the system is as important as the players you have in the team. You can have 11 Messi's in your team but the team wouldn't win you the champions league
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:54:18 PM by dazfrancis »

September 30, 2017, 08:58:16 PM
Reply #40

Evertonian in NC

He needs to stop fucking wandering so deep to get the ball and be patient and wait til someone finds him in space in the final third. If he can't find space centrally because there are sixteen other 10's occupying that space he should pull wide or as a senior player tell them to position themselves wide.

He hasn't lost much physically, he can still finish, he can still play a pass, he still has great vision and is still excellent at linking up with team mates. He just doesn't have the tactical discipline to play in a system because he fucks the system up when he goes wandering.

EDIT: And IMO the system is as important as the players you have in the team. You can have 11 Messi's in your team but the team wouldn't win you the champions league

Messi would be quite the shitty keeper.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

September 30, 2017, 09:13:56 PM
Reply #41

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Wasn't it technically 4-3-3?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 30, 2017, 09:33:04 PM
Reply #42

Evertonian in NC

True, but narrow with everything running through Rooney and no room for Sigurdsson to create again.

September 30, 2017, 09:33:57 PM
Reply #43

Realist

Fuck knows mate but it didn't look like one

September 30, 2017, 09:36:53 PM
Reply #44

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Reckon he's been sound.

As I've mentioned before, he's been a part of most of the goals we've scored and always looks the make a difference.

Totally take on board his lack of positional discipline though.

He'll hit double figures for both goals and assists this season and that'll be some feat in this team.