November 18, 2017, 01:39:49 AM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 8895 times)

November 03, 2017, 04:38:40 AM
Reply #255

kramer0

The thing with Walsh for me is.... Is he a dof or a scout?

Moshiri and Kenwright don't seem to have it figured it out so what chance do the rest of us have?

deCoubertin

November 03, 2017, 04:45:26 AM
Reply #256

terrydarracotsbaldpate

Now he really is a PE teacher

November 03, 2017, 04:46:11 AM
Reply #257

Hawkandro

Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

November 03, 2017, 04:49:40 AM
Reply #258

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber

Simply simply lovely

November 03, 2017, 05:13:33 AM
Reply #259

Hawkandro

Ah ok
He's struggled so far like but yeah

He didn't look great at first, then got the injury and has disappeared off the face of the earth. Seems odd he isn't even on the bench as an option. In fact, no, it doesn't. Nothing fucking surprises me about this club anymore this season. Absolute mess.

November 03, 2017, 06:22:45 AM
Reply #260

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Goalkeeper:
Pickford
Robles
Stek

Right Back:
Coleman
Kenny
Cuco

Left Back:
Baines

Centreback:
Keane
Jags
Williams
RFM
Holgate

DM:
Schneiderlin
Gana
McCarthy
Besic
Beni

CM:
Davies
Klaassen
Sigurdsson

Wing:
Mirallas
Lennon
Vlasic
Lookman
Bolassie

Striker:
Rooney
DCL
Sandro

What do you think?
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 03, 2017, 01:06:04 PM
Reply #261

GrantyBoy78

Almost all of those players fall into the past it or not ready category. The rest: good but have barely shown it in an Everton shirt or not for ages. In goal is the only positioned day weíre fine; good, young number 1 with experienced back-up.

November 03, 2017, 01:28:00 PM
Reply #262

Ridge

I think the reality is squad is improved, mainly in terms of potential, but first 11 is much worse. But we also lost our 3 most important and well connected players. Anyone who played in team knew what to expect from them and how to play alongside them.

Lukaku scored all the goals, and was going to require a redesign to replace. We setup to play to his strengths and there isn't a better Lukaku, you have to adapt.

Barkley created the vast majority of our play, in terms of dribbling, connecting play, trying to create chances and drawing attention. We don't have a creative player you can build a team around, like a De Bruyne, but most teams don't. And again this is a case of adapting, but here you can even split roles. As in you can get a great passer and another player who can dribble.

Barry, I'm not sure anyone quite appreciated his quality on the ball, until we didn't have it. His positional and defensive nous often gave us added security, but it's his distribution and quality on the ball that we've probably missed most on regular basis. There aren't many players who look up or play anything different to anyone else.

In terms of direct replacements, Davies has got a few assists and shown signs of the wider distribution. Barry would have chopped Demerai Gray, and he's tried more than others. But with Beni, Gana, Schneiderlin as well, its not a major issue and you don't need great distribution there, its a bonus or option.

In terms of replacing Barkley, we have Vlasic, who has shown signs of being to dribble through several players, retain possession and move us forward. His passing looks more simple than incisive, but he's still a peripheral figure on field.

In terms of replacing Lukaku, we have Sandro. Hasn't had many chances and struggled when he did. DCL has held ball up better, and Niasse has 

The volume of options, meant that no one really got game time or has settled that well.

Look at the wingers and there is creative players who can run with the ball, strikers are decent enough to score goals. In hindisght I think this could still be a very good window, but right now we have nothing.

November 03, 2017, 02:08:39 PM
Reply #263

KoemansNumberTens

I think koeman moshiri and kenwright have treated him just like a scout. I don't think he's responsible for the current mess beyond being too weak to do the role he should be

November 03, 2017, 02:24:40 PM
Reply #264

Hawkandro

What do you think?

I think it wouldn't look so bad if we had the players fit, but we have RFM out for the season, Bolasie and Coleman out for maybe 50% of it. Not only have we not strengthened the main areas we needed to (Striker, LB), but we have failed to adequately replace these injured players too.

November 03, 2017, 02:45:27 PM
Reply #265

Lxxx

Yet koeman and Reed worked well.

They didn't really. They tolerated each other but luckily Reed is part of the furniture there so he had the final say and Koeman reluctantly accepted it.

Obviously have no evidence but I think Koeman thought he was top dog here and with the owner coming out with phrases like 'Koeman is Koeman, he does what he wants' it's hardly conducive to a healthy environment.

November 03, 2017, 04:24:00 PM
Reply #266

Macca77

Questions certainly need to be asked as to what Walsh has actually done since he came here

November 03, 2017, 04:26:40 PM
Reply #267

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
They didn't really. They tolerated each other but luckily Reed is part of the furniture there so he had the final say and Koeman reluctantly accepted it.

Obviously have no evidence but I think Koeman thought he was top dog here and with the owner coming out with phrases like 'Koeman is Koeman, he does what he wants' it's hardly conducive to a healthy environment.

Well Koeman wanted a striker and a left sided defender and we got neither so he didnít get everything his own way.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 03, 2017, 04:39:02 PM
Reply #268

dazfrancis

A lot has been made about the lack of genuine quality  striker but the upper management of the club including the directors, plushWalsh and Koeman all made a massive error in not identifying how defensively frail we are.

I know having a better striker and more of a goal threat would make us less likely to concede goals but we have had Steve fucking Watson playing as our main striker in the past and we didn't look this bad defensively.

Our (outfield) defence is a shambles and there is a real lack of leadership despite the relative experience of our senior defenders.

Jags, Williams and Baines all need to be replaced sooner rather than later and aside from Keane, who does not look like he has the experience or leadership skills yet, we made no planning for the short to medium term future here aside from buying Martina as a stop gap.

I don't think this responsibility falls directly on Walsh, I think it should have been the collective responsibility of Walsh and Koeman and the board to plan player recruitment for the short, mid and long term. But we did none of the this in the defensive department. We have bought talented exciting youngsters but we need to identify and recruit defenders who are in or coming into their prime who will take us into the upper echelon of clubs.

November 03, 2017, 04:43:07 PM
Reply #269

dazfrancis

Well Koeman wanted a striker and a left sided defender and we got neither so he didnít get everything his own way.

In addition to not acquiring a left back we need to question some of the decisions made regarding the squad

Having not signed a left back, why did we not include Luke Garbutt as part of the squad or not send Connolly out on loan?

Why have we not planned for Baines getting injured?

Assuming it was Koeman's decision on the final squad, did anybody question him on contingency plans for players getting injured.