November 18, 2017, 11:53:25 PM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 9074 times)

kramer0, Jimmywhack, everton1952 and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

November 03, 2017, 04:43:44 PM
Reply #270

dazfrancis

In addition to not acquiring a left back we need to question some of the decisions made regarding the squad in response to the lack of left-backs

Having not signed a left back, why did we not include Luke Garbutt as part of the squad or not send Connolly out on loan?

Why have we not planned for Baines getting injured?

Assuming it was Koeman's decision on the final squad, did anybody question him on contingency plans for players getting injured.

deCoubertin

November 03, 2017, 04:43:58 PM
Reply #271

Ross

Well Koeman wanted a striker and a left sided defender and we got neither so he didnít get everything his own way.

He also wanted Sigurdsson and Rooney and thereís no way in my opinion he wasnít involved in bringing Klaasen in from his old club from his own country.

The money isnít infinite and the limited finances needed distributing more evenly. But even then the club pandered to his pursuit of the one and only forward he demand acceptable, to the detriment of more prudent squad building, and it came down to a lifestyle choice for Giroud and his wife not a financial matter.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

November 03, 2017, 04:52:14 PM
Reply #272

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
In addition to not acquiring a left back we need to question some of the decisions made regarding the squad

Having not signed a left back, why did we not include Luke Garbutt as part of the squad or not send Connolly out on loan?

Why have we not planned for Baines getting injured?

Assuming it was Koeman's decision on the final squad, did anybody question him on contingency plans for players getting injured.

These are all DOF questions imo
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 03, 2017, 07:04:05 PM
Reply #273

Waltzer

Good article by the Mail with some quotes which should finally put to bed some of the rumours about who does most of the signings at Everton, from my perspective the answer to the title of this thread is YES!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5046209/Steve-Walsh-blame-Everton-shambles.html

Walsh, towards the end of last season, went on record and he made it clear that he would not sign a player he had not seen live in action and how 'you just need a few more pieces, then you have a top four side.'
Prior to that, came another declaration in an interview with The Times last Boxing Day.
Asked about his role, he seized the opportunity to champion his credentials, saying: 'You would have to be daft to think I wasn't brought in for my recruiting talents. I'll spend money as it was my own. I won't waste it.'

November 03, 2017, 08:07:31 PM
Reply #274

KoemansNumberTens

Well Koeman wanted a striker and a left sided defender and we got neither so he didnít get everything his own way.

Maybe because he had too much say on the list of targets? Short of Walsh kidnapping them what can he do with a list of players we can't get

November 03, 2017, 08:18:37 PM
Reply #275

KoemansNumberTens

What a fucking mess top to bottom. Personally I just think much of his role in terms of first team recruiting was eaten up by koeman who had no track record for it at Southampton
Should we sack Walsh? Probably not for the work he did but maybe for the work he didn't do in terms of actually taking control. Does leave big questions of them above who let koeman make decisions he shouldn't have been making

We've had a manager with no record of buying players picking the expensive talents and the DOF doing cheap punts and youth players.
The all should be embarrassed from moshiri down. Laughable incompetence from all

November 03, 2017, 08:46:09 PM
Reply #276

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Jan last chance saloon whatever happened.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 03, 2017, 11:27:31 PM
Reply #277

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
He's clearly got a good eye for a player.

But as director of football he has to take the blame for assembling the most unbalanced squad in the premier league.

November 04, 2017, 03:17:27 AM
Reply #278

kramer0

Because I'm bored, here's my "What If Walsh/Koeman Were Right" starting eleven.

GK: Pickford
RB: Holgate*
CB: Keane
CB: Williams
LB: Baines**
DM: Schneiderlin
CM: Klaassen
CM: Sigurdsson
RAM: Vlasic
CF: Rooney
LAM: Sandro

* Glad the lad is alright after yesterday's scare but Koeman was 100% wrong on Martina. Not including him.
** Amazing that a Moyes player still makes this eleven.

Would be a hell of an experiment to see if you could get that Sigurdsson-Klaassen-Rooney triangle to space itself properly because there are, in theory, lots of interesting movements you could orchestrate with all of the positional flexibility there (stuff like Rooney dropping off or pulling out wide, with Klaassen and/or Sigurdsson running beyond him into the box).

Of course, in reality, we've seen the three of them on the pitch together and they look like they've never met, despite presumably training together.

November 04, 2017, 12:36:40 PM
Reply #279

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
Because I'm bored, here's my "What If Walsh/Koeman Were Right" starting eleven.

GK: Pickford
RB: Holgate*
CB: Keane
CB: Williams
LB: Baines**
DM: Schneiderlin
CM: Klaassen
CM: Sigurdsson
RAM: Vlasic
CF: Rooney
LAM: Sandro

* Glad the lad is alright after yesterday's scare but Koeman was 100% wrong on Martina. Not including him.
** Amazing that a Moyes player still makes this eleven.

Would be a hell of an experiment to see if you could get that Sigurdsson-Klaassen-Rooney triangle to space itself properly because there are, in theory, lots of interesting movements you could orchestrate with all of the positional flexibility there (stuff like Rooney dropping off or pulling out wide, with Klaassen and/or Sigurdsson running beyond him into the box).

Of course, in reality, we've seen the three of them on the pitch together and they look like they've never met, despite presumably training together.

Yes but how often and how were they drilled (given that itís taken that Koeman probably expected a certain level of understanding without the need for specific exercises)?

Plus by also having the other 2 in the front 5 as new players there are even more potential mis-reads / misunderstandings etc.

This is where the constant formation changes (not helped by the fixtures admittedly) were such a hinderance.

4/5 of these should be playing their 11th league game tomorrow whereas have we had Rooney, Sigurdsson, Klaassen more than twice? Let alone all 5.

November 04, 2017, 06:33:38 PM
Reply #280

kramer0

Yes but how often and how were they drilled (given that itís taken that Koeman probably expected a certain level of understanding without the need for specific exercises)?

Plus by also having the other 2 in the front 5 as new players there are even more potential mis-reads / misunderstandings etc.

This is where the constant formation changes (not helped by the fixtures admittedly) were such a hinderance.

4/5 of these should be playing their 11th league game tomorrow whereas have we had Rooney, Sigurdsson, Klaassen more than twice? Let alone all 5.

The lack of understanding was definitely a problem but I think the biggest hindrance to getting the new players to function together was Koeman's insistence on long balls out of defense. Most of the new signings do their best work with the ball at their feet and options around them. Asking them to chase after scraps was a pretty serious miscalculation.

We basically built this team around a type of player we never bought. Which is embarrassing for all sorts of reasons. Say we got Giroud and he was, in fact, the perfect player to tie everything together. What if he gets injured? This squad needed a B-level target man too and it's a bit ridiculous that we didn't go for one. Mounie and Haller were not particularly expensive.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 06:35:43 PM by kramer0 »

November 04, 2017, 06:47:40 PM
Reply #281

GLewis

NSNO Subscriber
The lack of understanding was definitely a problem but I think the biggest hindrance to getting the new players to function together was Koeman's insistence on long balls out of defense. Most of the new signings do their best work with the ball at their feet and options around them. Asking them to chase after scraps was a pretty serious miscalculation.

We basically built this team around a type of player we never bought. Which is embarrassing for all sorts of reasons. Say we got Giroud and he was, in fact, the perfect player to tie everything together. What if he gets injured? This squad needed a B-level target man too and it's a bit ridiculous that we didn't go for one. Mounie and Haller were not particularly expensive.

Oh yeah I agree with all that.

I just mean that after that player didnít materialise then we should have been working really hard on making easier passing options for the back 3/4.

While his pragmatism could be a positive, itís clear that he was happy for players to get shut if they werenít confident and / or under pressure.

Think that comes back to his natural assumption that because he could do it, then so should other top flight players etc.

Anyway back on thread...

Iíve watched Haller a couple of times recently (scored last night) and not sure heís someone who looks like that should be made for the PL but still a bit gangly.

But yes, given that we needed a back up anyway, relatively cheap ďgamblesĒ.

November 05, 2017, 01:53:10 AM
Reply #282

therealdunc

Sigurdsson was a Koeman signing, this is the reason he was chased all summer as Koeman said he would replace a lot of Romís goals.

This has been reported by numerous club sources and media.

I donít know about the other signings except Martina who was also a Koeman signing and Onyekuru who was a Walsh signing.

Again, the above were confirmed by the people themselves or club sources and by media.

Sacking Walsh would seem counter productive.

The only bad signing so far has been Klaassen, the rest have proven decent or not been given enough of a chance such as Sandro. 2 of them (Rooney and Pickford) have proven to be great signings.

The worst signings were last season.
Williams who has done nothing and is on big wages and Schneiderlin who has been a woeful signing and is one of the clubs highest earners 
Blue

November 05, 2017, 02:33:29 AM
Reply #283

KoemansNumberTens

Sigurdsson was a Koeman signing, this is the reason he was chased all summer as Koeman said he would replace a lot of Romís goals.

This has been reported by numerous club sources and media.

I donít know about the other signings except Martina who was also a Koeman signing and Onyekuru who was a Walsh signing.

Again, the above were confirmed by the people themselves or club sources and by media.

Sacking Walsh would seem counter productive.

The only bad signing so far has been Klaassen, the rest have proven decent or not been given enough of a chance such as Sandro. 2 of them (Rooney and Pickford) have proven to be great signings.

The worst signings were last season.
Williams who has done nothing and is on big wages and Schneiderlin who has been a woeful signing and is one of the clubs highest earners 

I'm really not sure Pickford has been great. He flaps a lot. He's been decent in a sea of shit. Rooney absolutely hasn't been great. He's been 1 of the better of the shits in said sea

November 05, 2017, 04:43:03 PM
Reply #284

Lxxx

Recruitment was all a bit arse about face wasn't it. Let's build a side around a player we don't actually have yet and then when said player doesn't materialise we're snookered. I don't care if you did or didn't buy the players as a DoF you have to take responsibility for letting it happen.