October 21, 2018, 10:38:56 PM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 50651 times)

March 14, 2018, 03:02:55 PM
Reply #765

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
I just feel as a club we should be starting a policy of signing nobody over 23 unless somebody of exceptional quality becomes available.

We need to get out of the habit of being a retirement home for old footballers and cast offs from 'big clubs'

We need to build our own and compete that way not try and desperately play catch up by signing 30 year olds who have been proven to not have it at a top level anymore. What Spurs and Liverpool do should be our model.

Well let’s not sign anyone and just play the under 23’s ;)

March 14, 2018, 03:17:40 PM
Reply #766

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Phil Jones
Wilshere
Vardy.

How on earth does he unearth such gems.

March 14, 2018, 03:20:47 PM
Reply #767

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
It's depressing reading the players they want to sign

Wish they'd just both fuck off
Simply simply lovely

March 14, 2018, 03:39:24 PM
Reply #768

Macca77

It's depressing reading the players they want to sign

Wish they'd just both fuck off

I reckon your wish will be granted.

March 14, 2018, 03:49:21 PM
Reply #769

blue slug

His targets read like the future English talents that turn into a pile of turd from fm2012

March 14, 2018, 07:47:19 PM
Reply #770

Lxxx

The longer people like this remain employed by the club the more enthusiasm for Everton drains out of me.

You'd like to think this summer is the cleaning house phase and a new professional outfit will emerge. We hope.

March 14, 2018, 08:05:06 PM
Reply #771

Makis

I just feel as a club we should be starting a policy of signing nobody over 23 unless somebody of exceptional quality becomes available.

We need to get out of the habit of being a retirement home for old footballers and cast offs from 'big clubs'

We need to build our own and compete that way not try and desperately play catch up by signing 30 year olds who have been proven to not have it at a top level anymore. What Spurs and Liverpool do should be our model.
This would pretty much mean bye-bye to a top-4 challenge. Your policy is pretty much about making a business of buying and selling players. Players won't stay long enough in that case to reach full potential at the club so we'd have very few players at their prime.

March 14, 2018, 09:26:06 PM
Reply #772

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
There is a middle ground tbh.

If we believe in the Moshiri millions and we assume turnover and profit is not THAT essential to our success, then my rule would be nobody over 26 who is not currently a) a top player - demonstrable historic success in a top league b) relatively injury free c) a top, top attacker - rules out the winfow For superstar attackers, get them whenever you can.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

March 14, 2018, 09:31:37 PM
Reply #773

blue slug

If we believe in the Moshiri millions and we assume turnover and profit is not THAT essential to our success, then my rule would be nobody over 26 who is not currently a) a top player - demonstrable historic success in a top league b) relatively injury free c) a top, top attacker - rules out the winfow For superstar attackers, get them whenever you can.

A sensible recruitment policy unfortunately the inmates are running the asylum

March 14, 2018, 10:08:50 PM
Reply #774

ajax_andy

Phil Jones
Wilshere
Vardy.

They would all improve us... However their wages combined would be monumental, PLUS whilst they'd improve us it wouldn't be by enough to challenge those above us, not even close.  Can't see it being true but I'd take Vardy all day long, even if it's just for a year or two, that finish at the weekend shows just how good he is despite his age.

March 14, 2018, 11:20:29 PM
Reply #775

gizzblue

Phil Jones
Wilshere
Vardy.

Only Wilshire worth a pop  ...Vardy too old and Jones is another yard dog we have two already .imho.

March 15, 2018, 12:04:55 AM
Reply #776

Makis

26 is actually much more realistic age, signing players at 25-26 would mean players would hit their peak at the club.

I would still try to keep one to three more experienced players in the team. We've seen their worth in the past in players like Reid, Gray, Gough, Martyn, and most lately Barry. But the focus should be to buy players before they hit their peak.

March 15, 2018, 12:15:23 AM
Reply #777

Lxxx

To be fair a lot of the old guard won't be here in just over a year, if not earlier. We still need experience in the squad and once Jags, Baines, Rooney, Williams (I know)leave then we do look a bit light on senior pros.

March 15, 2018, 01:50:56 AM
Reply #778

Paddockoldie

I rate Vardy but it's short terminism because of his age we'd be looking again in 2 years. Walsh seems to be playing safe to save his arse rather than being the bold talent spotter we employed him as. Give him his P45

March 15, 2018, 02:58:51 AM
Reply #779

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I think, as I mentioned before, if you can afford to write off the expense and afford to sign a replacement in the relatively short term, then superstar attackers are exempt from ‘short termism’ shouts.

They are force multipliers that elevate sides whole levels at a time. It wasn’t short termism for arsenal to sign auba, and it wasn’t short termism for united to sign Ibra, because they are that good and the clubs are that wealthy that it is worth it.

If we signed Vardy and Mahrez for example, we’d be challenging for 6th minimum overnight, not to mention Leicester would plummet.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.