October 19, 2017, 10:49:06 AM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 2543 times)

October 02, 2017, 02:10:03 AM
Reply #45

eyesalwaysblue

That last Sky phone in was mad like, but someone said the Mosh was just trying to win a VW Polo and 25 grand but phoned the wrong pemium number, so he's sane as apparently.
Meant to quote Ram on Moshiri. but it all went Burnley
I still despise Clive Thomas..

deCoubertin

October 02, 2017, 02:12:10 AM
Reply #46

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
I just meant it's just journalists, sports writers etc they're irrelevant really. I don't think I really lose credibility
But yeah I could've bought better players for less money

Must be great on your planet
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

October 02, 2017, 02:23:51 AM
Reply #47

Realist

Must be great on your planet

My world is wonderful thanks, have a nice evening Brownie 👍

October 02, 2017, 02:59:31 AM
Reply #48

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I still think the players we bought are good players so for me the issue is largely not to do with recruitment.

October 02, 2017, 03:02:43 AM
Reply #49

kramer0

I disagree 100% with the people saying we don't need a position like this. Nobody good gives the manager complete control over footballing decisions anymore. Even clubs with unlimited spending power have realized how dumb it is to put recruitment and the hiring of backroom staff entirely in the hands of the manager. The do-it-all manager model is totally outdated and unless we want to fall even further behind the best clubs in England, there's no reason we should go back to it.

With that said, I'd be comfortable with the club giving Walsh the axe and starting over, this time with the director of football being hired before the manager. Maybe Koeman has made his job difficult but I don't see anything in him that's going to give us an edge over the clubs we want to compete with and the rumours of him having "baggage" are disturbing. We need more than an old-school English scout who's smashed a handful of transfers if we want to be competitive in England and in Europe.

October 02, 2017, 03:14:40 AM
Reply #50

Toddacelli

I disagree 100% with the people saying we don't need a position like this. Nobody good gives the manager complete control over footballing decisions anymore. Even clubs with unlimited spending power have realized how dumb it is to put recruitment and the hiring of backroom staff entirely in the hands of the manager. The do-it-all manager model is totally outdated and unless we want to fall even further behind the best clubs in England, there's no reason we should go back to it.

With that said, I'd be comfortable with the club giving Walsh the axe and starting over, this time with the director of football being hired before the manager. Maybe Koeman has made his job difficult but I don't see anything in him that's going to give us an edge over the clubs we want to compete with and the rumours of him having "baggage" are disturbing. We need more than an old-school English scout who's smashed a handful of transfers if we want to be competitive in England and in Europe.

Sounds very sensible.

My first problem with the 'Should we sack Walsh?' thread is this:

Does anybody know exactly what his remit is, what his targets are and what he is measured against?

My second problem is this:

Does anyone actually know if he is achieving his targets, under-performing, over-achieving or failing?

Basically at this stage I have not heard anything to say if he is doing a good job or a bad job so what would calls to sack him even be based on?

Knee-jerks.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 02, 2017, 03:20:00 AM
Reply #51

Toddacelli

I've got massive questions marks over the whole structure of the club at the moment

From boardroom to the Koeman/Walsh axis.

I'm kinda thinking it's been a massive mess since Moshiri come in tbh.

Not calling for his head or anything like that, but it's been a bit chaotic, hasn't it?

Not sure I agree.

I think there have been loads of positives - more than I even expected/hoped for in such a short space of time (transfer money/activity, Bramley Moore Dock, sponsorships), but they have all really been off the pitch.

I think it's on the pitch I agree with you. That's where it's been shit.

But I don't think he's the kind of person to tolerate poor results in any area of his business for long - especially the most high-profile area that most directly affects the business.

Plus he was at Arsenal for years being cock-blocked by Kronke - the thought of actually being able to fire a manager with a better one if he wants to means it's probably top of his Bucket List now.   :)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:48:07 AM by Toddacelli »

October 02, 2017, 03:21:27 AM
Reply #52

Realist

Sounds very sensible.

My first problem with the 'Should we sack Walsh?' thread is this:

Does anybody know exactly what his remit is, what his targets are and what he is measured against?

My second problem is this:

Does anyone actually know if he is achieving his targets, under-performing, over-achieving or failing?

Basically at this stage I have not heard anything to say if he is doing a good job or a bad job so what would calls to sack him even be based on?

Knee-jerks.

The state of the team vs money spent is my guess

October 02, 2017, 03:26:45 AM
Reply #53

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
If we are saying the players brought in are largely his responsibility are we saying these signings are poor because I am not having that really. Aside from Williams (who no one could have guessed would be this shit) and Martina who is an obvious stop gap I don't think any of the signings are poor they are performing poorly. The only criticism at Walsh's door for me right now is where the hell a striker is.

I don't think his role is all encompassing as we imagine though. Martina, Schneiderlin, Sigurddsson are all out and out Koeman signings for a start. Is our scouting network failing as well? Who is responsible for the youth signings as Onyekuru is looking like a find for a start.

I don't think it's a tangible role for us as fans to figure out whereas you can actually see the impact or not of Koeman on the pitch

October 02, 2017, 03:32:26 AM
Reply #54

Toddacelli

Ok so we got rid of players like Cleverly, Barry, Kone, Deulofeo and McGeady and brought in Pickford, Keane, Rooney, Ramirez, Sigurdsson, Vlasic and Onyekuru for what is not a massive net spend.

I would say that the state of the team is massively improved and money well spent largely on youth with great potential futures and a couple of established star performers in the premier League. Massive improvement.

I do not include Lukaku in this and neither should you because Lukaku was not a 'decision' to get rid of - otherwise he would still be here - the fact of the matter was we simply could not hold on to Lukaku any longer and that was no-one's fault.

The 'state of the team' as you put it - is I think the responsibility of the manager - not Walsh.

So considering he has improved personnel (unless you want to swap and get Cleverly and the others back instead?) and have not spent loads (according to some posters on here - me I don't give a shit it's all Monopoly money at this stage) - tell me how you think he's done?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:33:57 AM by Toddacelli »

October 02, 2017, 03:40:52 AM
Reply #55

Heisenberg

We signed loads of good players but with no plan of how to make a team with them

October 02, 2017, 03:44:43 AM
Reply #56

KoemansNumberTens

Surely that depends on which are his signings and which are koemans though.

October 02, 2017, 03:46:52 AM
Reply #57

Toddacelli

We signed loads of good players but with no plan of how to make a team with them

So then another question is - 'Was the team plan Walsh's, Koeman's or both of theirs?"

Sacking Walsh might be good, might be right - I'm just saying "How the fuck do we know when we don't even know what his job is or how well he's doing it?"

October 02, 2017, 03:49:15 AM
Reply #58

Bluedylan

Not on board with sacking Walsh. I like some of his signings.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

October 02, 2017, 03:51:48 AM
Reply #59

Realist

Ok so we got rid of players like Cleverly, Barry, Kone, Deulofeo and McGeady and brought in Pickford, Keane, Rooney, Ramirez, Sigurdsson, Vlasic and Onyekuru for what is not a massive net spend.

I would say that the state of the team is massively improved and money well spent largely on youth with great potential futures and a couple of established star performers in the premier League. Massive improvement.

I do not include Lukaku in this and neither should you because Lukaku was not a 'decision' to get rid of - otherwise he would still be here - the fact of the matter was we simply could not hold on to Lukaku any longer and that was no-one's fault.

The 'state of the team' as you put it - is I think the responsibility of the manager - not Walsh.

So considering he has improved personnel (unless you want to swap and get Cleverly and the others back instead?) and have not spent loads (according to some posters on here - me I don't give a shit it's all Monopoly money at this stage) - tell me how you think he's done?

Lukaku has to feature in any talk about the state of the squad - whether it was forced or not, he's probably a top 10 striker in the world, now we don't have a proper striker at all in the squad, we haven't even attempted to replace him!
"Potential great futures" doesn't really cut it for me when they've spent 220m+ on players since they arrived here.
"A couple of established star performers?" - the only one I see is Sigurdsson. You may argue Rooney but he's clearly not the player he once was.
Walsh is responsible for this shit too