October 21, 2017, 04:24:45 AM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 2589 times)

October 02, 2017, 03:53:22 AM
Reply #60

arteta4spain

Haven't a few on here said that Koeman and Walsh don't see eye to eye? If this is true maybe there's friction and Koemans finding it hard to integrate all the players. But it sounds like he's alienating some players and forcing himself into fitting square pegs in round holes. I'd say it's more down to Koeman than Walsh but I don't think he's helping the situation either.

deCoubertin

October 02, 2017, 03:55:43 AM
Reply #61

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
We don't know if he is though that's the point. I wouldn't say we didn't attempt to replace Lukaku but we did fail too. Remember as well it is Koeman who has insisted on increased productivity and goals all over the pitch, something most of us were into when he sold it. He's failed to deliver on that one thus far.

October 02, 2017, 03:59:46 AM
Reply #62

KoemansNumberTens

We don't know if he is though that's the point. I wouldn't say we didn't attempt to replace Lukaku but we did fail too. Remember as well it is Koeman who has insisted on increased productivity and goals all over the pitch, something most of us were into when he sold it. He's failed to deliver on that one thus far.

I can't imagine Walsh had free reign to sign a striker. I think more likely koeman had a very short list for him to work from and Walsh can't force anyone to sign for us

The impression I get rightly or wrongly is that all the cheaper punts are walsh's and all the big money buys are what koeman has asked for. If that's the case no Walsh shouldn't be sacked and koeman clearly has too much power and not enough talent

October 02, 2017, 04:04:52 AM
Reply #63

Realist

Not on board with sacking Walsh. I like some of his signings.

You don't know who he's bought

October 02, 2017, 04:06:09 AM
Reply #64

MmmBlueRamirez

never been a fan of directors of football

I can see the irony. We have a director of football for the first time but our football is directionless.
Farming Karma like the Dalai Llama

October 02, 2017, 04:12:56 AM
Reply #65

toffee_scot

I'm glad we went for the Director of Football approach especially as in the past we've had managers with a very large remit, the problem with the old 'manager does everything' system is you are assuming that the manager will be there for the long term and with the example of Martinez, he seemed to have quite a large say in how Finch Farm was upgraded with extra bedrooms or whatever it was he felt suited his philosophy. He's gone and the current manager has a completely different way of looking at football which risks overhauling the system influenced by the previous manager.

For me the Director of Football should provide continuity on the footballing side of the club and help Everton establish some sort of consistent footballing principle or philosophy that reflects the development of the club. So when a new manager comes in after the old one is sacked or moves to another club, they have to be able to fit with the Everton ethos and make the most of the existing players at the club whilst also working with the DoF to come up with suitable transfer targets.

I'm not sure the board have this DoF structure fully sussed out as it seems that Walsh is focused mostly on the scouting side and I don't know what other responsibilities he's supposed to have especially regarding the actual footballing side of things. I think Kenwright said something along the lines that he still thought the manager was the most important individual on the footballing side although I don't know if Koeman is directly answerable to the DoF.

October 02, 2017, 04:16:16 AM
Reply #66

BlueBeagle

I'm glad we went for the Director of Football approach especially as in the past we've had managers with a very large remit, the problem with the old 'manager does everything' system is you are assuming that the manager will be there for the long term and with the example of Martinez, he seemed to have quite a large say in how Finch Farm was upgraded with extra bedrooms or whatever it was he felt suited his philosophy.

I read the bedroom idea was fucked off as soon as the pillock left

October 02, 2017, 04:19:12 AM
Reply #67

Bluedylan

You don't know who he's bought

If you think Koeman knew who Onyekuru, Sandro, Vlasic and Gana were I think you'd be mistaken. It's obvious that Martina, Stek and Schneiderlin were Koeman signings. It's likely that Klaassen was also. Koeman also seemed to have a massive hard-on for Rooney and Sigurdsson. Who knows with the others? Yes, it's guesswork but educated guesswork.
The highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive. Everybody's out on the run tonight but there's no place left to hide. Together, Wendy, we can live with the sadness, I'll love you with all the madness in my soul.

October 02, 2017, 04:26:40 AM
Reply #68

dazfrancis

the rumours of him having "baggage" are disturbing.

What are these rumours?

October 02, 2017, 04:33:14 AM
Reply #69

kramer0

What are these rumours?

It comes from here, I think:

http://www.theevertonforum.co.uk/forum/threads/steve-walsh.24838/page-4

I said to snoop when he got the job I don't think he was all he's built up to be and I don't think anyone who was involved in football would have given him the job. Moshiri saw Arsenal struggle with Wenger once they lost David Dein and they'd flirted with Walsh but I don't think anyone with a knowledge of transfers and the ins and outs of footy would have appointed steve Walsh .

I'm not saying he hasn't spotted and can't spot a player but he brings baggage , I think Everton ended up because of the baggage second guessing Walsh . We've got , as always really , too many people looking at too much in the way of transfers . i don't believe Koeman and I don't believe Kenwright trust Walsh and I'll be honest I don't blame them.

October 02, 2017, 05:14:43 AM
Reply #70

GrantyBoy78

Sounds very sensible.

My first problem with the 'Should we sack Walsh?' thread is this:

Does anybody know exactly what his remit is, what his targets are and what he is measured against?

My second problem is this:

Does anyone actually know if he is achieving his targets, under-performing, over-achieving or failing?

Basically at this stage I have not heard anything to say if he is doing a good job or a bad job so what would calls to sack him even be based on?

Knee-jerks.
I think it’s relatively certain that when a club creates a DoF role for a chief scout, he’s going to be in charge of recruitment. Otherwise he’d just be hired as scout/chief scout.

And I’d say not bringing in a Lukaku replacement over the course of 3 transfer windows and not signing a left back - is doing a bad job. He’s essentially hamstrung the manager - and any future manager.

October 02, 2017, 05:22:04 AM
Reply #71

GrantyBoy78

October 02, 2017, 05:38:00 AM
Reply #72

nwatson

Sack him for what? The poor guy is probable having to work with his hands tied behind his back while Koeman ruins the club.
There's 1 guy in charge of what's happening on the pitch and all hope of getting rid of him seems to have been removed tonight.
The board seem to be happy to kiss goodbye to our season hoping he can turn this shit around.

October 02, 2017, 05:38:56 AM
Reply #73

Realist

By ‘baggage’ was he one of those paedo young coaches?

Eh?

October 02, 2017, 05:39:06 AM
Reply #74

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Sack him for what? The poor guy is probable having to work with his hands tied behind his back while Koeman ruins the club.
There's 1 guy in charge of what's happening on the pitch and all hope of getting rid of him seems to have been removed tonight.
The board seem to be happy to kiss goodbye to our season hoping he can turn this shit around.

What have I missed? What's happened tonight?
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers: