November 23, 2017, 12:41:52 AM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 9574 times)

October 27, 2017, 10:49:40 PM
Reply #150

blue slug

its fast becoming an eggscruciating eggsperience

Sorry I'll get my coat

deCoubertin

October 27, 2017, 10:51:16 PM
Reply #151

di_guyo

I remember being ridiculed for suggesting in the summer that Walsh hadn't done anything...lolz.
Everton & Atleti

October 27, 2017, 10:59:50 PM
Reply #152

kramer0

The biggest problem I see with Steve Walsh is that nobody seems to know what he really does.

And "nobody" may very well include Moshiri and Kenwright.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:03:21 PM by kramer0 »

October 27, 2017, 11:02:02 PM
Reply #153

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
I remember being ridiculed for suggesting in the summer that Walsh hadn't done anything...lolz.

what is it with grown men typing 'lol, lolz, trololol' all the time?? madness.
I have to return some videotapes.

October 27, 2017, 11:04:31 PM
Reply #154

Cozzie

I am unsure to what it is he actually does, but to me it SEEMS like he is getting a DOF wage for basically being a glorified scout.

October 27, 2017, 11:26:37 PM
Reply #155

blue1948

Even a vastly experienced DoF starting a new job at the same time as a new manager with Koeman's strong personality would have caused issues. It was just unfortunate timing as they both will have wanted to establish their own power base at the same time. Should have been half-expected really, especially with Moshiri's comment of 'Koeman is Koeman, he does what he wants and I support him.' Starstruck much!
Good except he said he was happy with the transfers being someone else's jurisdiction

October 27, 2017, 11:29:59 PM
Reply #156

blue1948

The biggest problem I see with Steve Walsh is that nobody seems to know what he really does.

Being a nobody would give an insight then!

October 27, 2017, 11:30:52 PM
Reply #157

blue1948

That is sexist Liz and I demand a retraction .

October 27, 2017, 11:31:41 PM
Reply #158

Audrey Horne

NSNO Subscriber
That is sexist Liz and I demand a retraction .

denied.
I have to return some videotapes.

October 27, 2017, 11:42:41 PM
Reply #159

blue1948

denied.
Well I fully understand ,the way I portrayed it must have been sexist

October 27, 2017, 11:51:29 PM
Reply #160

Lxxx

I am unsure to what it is he actually does, but to me it SEEMS like he is getting a DOF wage for basically being a glorified scout.

Contradiction much.

October 28, 2017, 12:02:35 AM
Reply #161

KoemansNumberTens

OMG

October 28, 2017, 12:14:42 AM
Reply #162

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
Makes me vom

Simply simply lovely

October 28, 2017, 12:47:50 AM
Reply #163

di_guyo

I sincerely apologise for offending you with my language.

*bore off
Everton & Atleti

October 28, 2017, 01:03:08 AM
Reply #164

Ridge

Thought it's fairly obvious what he does and what his remit is.

He's responsible for recruitment, scouting and long term value of the squad. Basically authority on player trading, with a view to increasing the value of the squad through transfers.

From there each DoF and manager has a different relationship, with some DoF more willing to bend or accomodate.

But Giroud is a fairly obvious bone of contention for a DoF. He's going to cost a fair amount of money and he's going to take time away from young players who could be developing. At the end he will have minimal resale value.

I think the best way to judge Walsh is on the transfers. All of them, because ultimately he is not just individually responsible in most cases, but holistically responsible.

I think we are in a similar period to other teams before who have done wholesale changes to first team squad. There is little identity or cohesion and it falls apart every way you cut it.

But I think in terms of Walsh remit, I think he's identified a lot of young talented players.

Last summer we signed established players, Williams, Gana, Bolasie. But in Jan we added Lookman and DCL. This summer we've added Pickford, Keane, Klaassen, Vlasic, Sandro, Onyekuru. All players intended to go into first team, but their first major move.

I don't see Cuco, Rooney or Sigurdsson as our problems. Rooney has chipped in with goals, and we shouldn't have been expecting him to carry the team and I'd rather he stopped trying to same extent. Sigurdsson looks a turd in the punch bowl because of the fee, but actually he's a very useful player if used to his strengths. Cuco has got a fair amount of stick, because Koeman liked him, but he cost next to sod all and he's got an engine that allows us to link play, I've seen worse defenders.

I think time will prove that Walsh acquired good players, I think for Koeman, there just wasn't enough off the shelf options immediately. Part of Walsh's remit is to look at development and longer term to avoid too many Rooney's, Giroud's coming in. We've got a lot of more experienced players since Walsh's arrival, so it's not like he's averse to experience. About half the players we've bought have been 26 or over.