November 22, 2017, 05:20:29 AM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 9506 times)

October 30, 2017, 02:58:37 PM
Reply #210

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Stand out in what way?

Young, relatively unknown, cheap.

It's not that difficult to see the difference in the type of signings Walsh wants.

Gueye, DCL, Lookman, Vlasic, Sandro, Onyekuru, Pickford all fit the mould of young and cheap. (Apart from Pickford, but looks worth the money and not overpriced in today's market)

Then the signings rumoured to be more pushed by Koeman.
Bolasie, Williams, Schneiderlin, Stekelenburg, Sigurdsson, Keane, Klaassen,  Rooney, Martina. There's a distinct difference between the 2.

As I said though, could be complete bollocks and Walsh actyally sanctioned them all, good to debate it though.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 03:50:00 PM by Duncs_a_legend »
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

deCoubertin

October 30, 2017, 03:02:11 PM
Reply #211

Faceatthefence

Well this confuses me even more then and is arguably even more worrying, what does Walsh do? The DoF should oversea all recruitment and have overall sign off, yes that should be done in collaboration with the manager but in what system would you have one person signing a certain amount of players and another doing what he likes?

Ill tell you where, Everton, and look where we are......
RK,s system of throwing people under the bus also included Walsh in press conferences and tv interviews during the window,on that score you would assume Walsh was culpable in the window and yet he remains at club.We really dont know the whole story,but clearly the two were at odds.
Night comes down and finds you alone
In a space and time of your own
Lost in dreams in world full of shadows.

October 30, 2017, 03:49:39 PM
Reply #212

KoemansNumberTens

I think we need to sack whoever decided our 2nd 3rd and 4th choice strikers were too expensive, even if we had to pay twice what they were worth it would look like money well invested at the moment.

The biggest worry for me is that everyone could see the writing on the wall in the summer, unless we replaced Rom we were going to struggle for goals, yet our board allowed this to happen. In my lifetime of watching Everton this almost ranks up there with Kings Dock with regards to mismanagement at the top, we were on the crest of a wave and this decision could relegate us.

That's the thing. People keep calling it amateur but it's a lot worse than that. Every single amateur could see it coming. It's simply unexplainable that anyone who's watched a few football matches thought we could survive half a season without a striker. It's inept and that might be being kind

October 30, 2017, 04:26:56 PM
Reply #213

Lxxx

I refuse to believe Walsh didn't have a striker shortlist after every man and his dog knew Lukaku was going. It was the one position we needed to strengthen. There must have been differences of opinion between him and Koeman for us to land no-one. We don't know Walsh's full remit but I'm not having that he couldn't identify anyone other than Giroud.

October 30, 2017, 05:43:21 PM
Reply #214

hill135

I wish we'd stop speculating about who was a Ron signing and who was a Walsh signing.

None of us have the faintest clue as to the backroom set-up, division of responsibilities and working relationship between DoF and manager.

All we can say for sure is it didn't work but we're not in a position to apportion blame for the above reason.

October 30, 2017, 05:53:29 PM
Reply #215

Lxxx

Taken in their entirety have any of our transfer windows been a success since Moshiri took over?

Martinez left a seriously disjointed squad in need of reshaping and we haven't managed it despite spending over 200m. First off we sold Stones but didn't spend a penny that window bringing in an ageing Williams, hit and miss Bolasie, Stek and Gueye.

January we bought Lookman who has hardly had a sniff and Schneiderlin who after a decent first half dozen games picked up niggly injuries and has hardly done anything since.

This summer's debacle has been discussed at length. 

This 'root and branch' review Moshiri has mentioned is long overdue but maybe he should look in the mirror too, as every window he's come out and shown his lack of football knowledge and poor judgement by talking shite to football reporters and pundits to attempt to explain away one cock-up after another.

October 30, 2017, 05:54:12 PM
Reply #216

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
I wish we'd stop speculating about who was a Ron signing and who was a Walsh signing.

None of us have the faintest clue as to the backroom set-up, division of responsibilities and working relationship between DoF and manager.

All we can say for sure is it didn't work but we're not in a position to apportion blame for the above reason.

Boring that though isn't it.
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

October 30, 2017, 07:17:27 PM
Reply #217

KoemansNumberTens

It's a forum. If we are only speaking on what we are an authority on we won't have much to talk about

October 30, 2017, 07:28:25 PM
Reply #218

Gary1878

In reality what is most likely to have happened is that they sat down on a regular basis together, thrashed out the positions required in the squad, and then Walsh went away and got a shortlist together.

They then both would have sat down again to discuss the best of the shortlist, got agreement from Moshiri, and put in bids for them.

I believe they are both responsible, and it is unlikely that the majority of the signings were made on a individual basis without the prior agreement of the other person.

October 30, 2017, 07:39:08 PM
Reply #219

Stumpy

That's the thing. People keep calling it amateur but it's a lot worse than that. Every single amateur could see it coming. It's simply unexplainable that anyone who's watched a few football matches thought we could survive half a season without a striker. It's inept and that might be being kind

I've just got off the phone to my mate ,and said exactly the same thing to him,it's beyond amateurism.It's unbelievable that it can happen at any premiership club never mind everton.Not a single striker at the club worthy of a start.How the fuck can that happen at a top professional club.

October 30, 2017, 08:08:45 PM
Reply #220

Lxxx

I've just got off the phone to my mate ,and said exactly the same thing to him,it's beyond amateurism.It's unbelievable that it can happen at any premiership club never mind everton.Not a single striker at the club worthy of a start.How the fuck can that happen at a top professional club.

I'm sure, as the weeks progress, we'll have a few details slip out either from the club or Koeman's camp. Both sides will want to try and distance themselves from blame as we slip further into the mire.

October 30, 2017, 08:27:54 PM
Reply #221

Jimmywhack

NSNO Subscriber
I'm sure, as the weeks progress, we'll have a few details slip out either from the club or Koeman's camp. Both sides will want to try and distance themselves from blame as we slip further into the mire.
Koemans already said we had giroud in the building. I have no issues with that and transfers breakdown all the time but where was plan b c d and e

Simply simply lovely

October 30, 2017, 09:09:05 PM
Reply #222

Lxxx

Koemans already said we had giroud in the building. I have no issues with that and transfers breakdown all the time but where was plan b c d and e

True. It's like we put it all on Plan A and whilst we may have been confident of that coming off it's usually pretty prudent to have a back up plan. Or two.

October 30, 2017, 09:31:14 PM
Reply #223

Stumpy

Oh without doubt the buck will be passed back and for from either camp.It matters not now who's at fault,the bottom line is we've been left with a shambles of a forward line.

October 31, 2017, 03:33:20 AM
Reply #224

Waltzer

Oh without doubt the buck will be passed back and for from either camp.It matters not now who's at fault,the bottom line is we've been left with a shambles of a forward line.
I think it does matter though if the culprit is still there functioning within the club, which in my opinion he is.  I see little to no reason how Koeman could be implicated in any failure to secure a striker, with the exception that his list entailed players that were so far out of reach they weren't realistic, but considering Giroud was our main target and he was in the building I cant see it.

I can't categorically state that it was Walsh's fault either, but whoever it is that does the negotiating and deals with transfers should be fired, regardless of who they are.