September 19, 2018, 02:16:24 AM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 48505 times)

November 27, 2017, 02:50:20 PM
Reply #375

therealdunc

Lete get this on the record

Ronald Koeman rubber stamped EVERY 1st team signing including Rooney

FACT - he said so himself

The only 2 things go direct at Walsh are -

He signed the players for the U23 development squad

He didnít sign the striker and left sided defender that Koeman mentioned a few times before the window shut that he wanted
Blue

November 27, 2017, 03:46:00 PM
Reply #376

GrantyBoy78

Lete get this on the record

Ronald Koeman rubber stamped EVERY 1st team signing including Rooney

FACT - he said so himself

The only 2 things go direct at Walsh are -

He signed the players for the U23 development squad

He didn't sign the striker and left sided defender that Koeman mentioned a few times before the window shut that he wanted
Fact - the Head of Recruitment is ultimately responsible for all recruitment.

November 27, 2017, 03:58:46 PM
Reply #377

Lxxx

I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater with Walsh, his main skill is scouting so just let him crack on with that. It's only a guess but I think Vlasic, Sandro and Pickford look like his signings and I actually think they could prove to be very decent buys given time. The rest were shite like but let's not gut the whole system all at once. Let's get a new manager in before any more potential changes.

November 27, 2017, 04:20:42 PM
Reply #378

Waltzer

I don't think we should throw the baby out with the bathwater with Walsh, his main skill is scouting so just let him crack on with that. It's only a guess but I think Vlasic, Sandro and Pickford look like his signings and I actually think they could prove to be very decent buys given time. The rest were shite like but let's not gut the whole system all at once. Let's get a new manager in before any more potential changes.

I dont think there is anything wrong with your statement in general, but he is on a very healthy wage, think I read hes the top earner in the league for comparable jobs, so just saying he should keep his job as hes good at scouting isnt acceptable. He was employed to be the one that oversees all transfer activity and he has clearly failed at his remit. Im not one for sacking left, right and centre but he is the most accountable person at the club for our current predicament, even more so than Koeman in my opinion, so if he isnt sacked he cant go on earning circa 1 million a year and calling himself DoF if he is just a decent scout.

November 27, 2017, 04:25:56 PM
Reply #379

Lxxx

I dont think there is anything wrong with your statement in general, but he is on a very healthy wage, think I read hes the top earner in the league for comparable jobs, so just saying he should keep his job as hes good at scouting isnt acceptable. He was employed to be the one that oversees all transfer activity and he has clearly failed at his remit. Im not one for sacking left, right and centre but he is the most accountable person at the club for our current predicament, even more so than Koeman in my opinion, so if he isnt sacked he cant go on earning circa 1 million a year and calling himself DoF if he is just a decent scout.

He can still be called a DoF but with either reduced responsibilities or with a revised authority remit. The role only works when the manager and DoF are on the same page which clearly wasn't happening last season and which is probably why Walsh was rumoured to want big Sam and Shakespeare to work with.

November 27, 2017, 04:28:39 PM
Reply #380

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I agree 100% with this post and your POV here Ram.

To add to it, I believe Koeman caused an issue as well, in as much as they had targeted other players in the event of Giroud turning us down, and Koeman nixed all the deals saying he believed they didn't represent value for money. Two playing in Serie A (Zapata and Boubacar maybe?) and one in the Championship (Zohore).

No way of knowing this was Koeman.

Only person who was vocal in demanding the board backed up their bullshit with signings, and they didnít.

Itís not on Koeman imo.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 27, 2017, 04:33:59 PM
Reply #381

Hawkandro

Koeman mentioned not wanting to pay too much for options B, C and D which is honourable, but probably worth paying when mitigating against the cost of relegation.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/ronald-koeman-everton-striker-disappointed-13594380
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:40:38 PM by Hawkandro »
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

November 27, 2017, 04:42:52 PM
Reply #382

therealdunc

Koeman had the final day on all deals including Vlasic , Pickford and Sandro.

Why do some people find this so hard to understand?

Yes the head of recruitment makes the deals happen but he doesnít have the final say, that was Koemans decision.

Iím Koemans defence, he was probably happy to have the likes of Rooney and Keane as back up because he was still convinced he was getting the striker and left sided defender he talked about numerous times up to the end of the transfer window
Blue

November 29, 2017, 06:30:03 AM
Reply #383

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
If we're to believe Walsh is backing Allardyce in, and that is the scope of DoF's ambition, and that's his footballing recommendation to Moshiri (who will need some guidance)...I'll say yes he should go, albeit in the summer.

November 29, 2017, 06:51:13 AM
Reply #384

kramer0

Director of ďFootballĒ

November 29, 2017, 02:07:39 PM
Reply #385

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Well itís been said heís on his last card, so for me if Moshiri has ended up backing his suggestion of Sam then for me heís played it.

Wonder what the alternative universe looks like where we got Monchi.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

November 29, 2017, 02:24:05 PM
Reply #386

Cereal Killer

Well itís been said heís on his last card, so for me if Moshiri has ended up backing his suggestion of Sam then for me heís played it.

Wonder what the alternative universe looks like where we got Monchi.

We got Giroud, Brahimi and Van Dijk, whilst Salah broke his leg, Klopp had a breakdown and flights from Norway to Liverpool were banned for health and safety reasons

December 02, 2017, 05:33:41 AM
Reply #387

Thomas

I cant believe our scouts/DofF never plucked Will Hughes when Watford did. They signed him for 8m and at Goodison he looked great and in a few other games I've seen. Made Davies look ordinary. Mobile, eager and creative and doesn't mind doing the ugly stuff either. Nobody to my knowledge has noticed him either, although maybe @TheRam has as we both have this wierd thing for unheralded players then @Brownie20 makes it respectable.

December 02, 2017, 05:38:24 AM
Reply #388

Brownie

NSNO Subscriber
I cant believe our scouts/DofF never plucked Will Hughes when Watford did. They signed him for 8m and at Goodison he looked great and in a few other games I've seen. Made Davies look ordinary. Mobile, eager and creative and doesn't mind doing the ugly stuff either. Nobody to my knowledge has noticed him either, although maybe @TheRam has as we both have this wierd thing for unheralded players then @Brownie20 makes it respectable.

What does your last sentence mean?

He was out injured for a long time. He'd been linked with moves to the PL before but none materialised.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

December 02, 2017, 05:40:26 AM
Reply #389

Thomas

What does your last sentence mean?

He was out injured for a long time. He'd been linked with moves to the PL before but none materialised.

I just think because you post sensibly if I've made some mad suggestions, you've sometimes gave them credibility. Possibly in my head.

I think the fact he has been injured and missed big moves for a while motivated him, a few of the lads sitting around me agreed that at Goodison he was there star. He's not flashy or a world beater but for 8m you cant complain.