February 24, 2018, 04:52:33 AM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 28450 times)

January 21, 2018, 09:45:18 PM
Reply #510

sam of the south

Me neither tbh.

Was it from the same dude who gave duff team news?
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 21, 2018, 09:55:09 PM
Reply #511

Ridge

Before I say what I'm going to say, this is not directed at you in particular but is more of a criticism of what is prevailing point-of-view around the league, especially in the media.

The PL has disappeared so far up it's own asshole with the notion that it's special and that things that work abroad won't work here and that players who are "proven" in the league have special value.

With few exceptions, all of whom are members in what has become a clear "top 6", PL teams are fucking lazy. They make the same lazy managerial appointments, spend all their money on the same lazy player types, and justify it all by saying that other things just won't work in the PL. In reality, they're just afraid to try some different, which I find amusing because they have no shame about wasting their TV money -- which makes them richer than pretty much every club in the world -- on players and managers that plainly aren't worth it. I'd rather us fail trying to be more efficient than fail doing the same old crap.

There's a real chance for us to get ahead of the rest of the league (outside the top 6) by doing some different and doing it effectively. But instead, we're tending towards the same old lazy bullshit. It's a ceiling we impose on ourselves.

I know what you're saying, but I think it does differ from other leagues, because of the strength of teams at the lower end of the table. Most of the big european leagues are more top heavy and while it's more common on continent, you can get away with carrying more potential than ability, you can play more younger players and rotate more.

I'd say the more stupid thing is the old English mentality of kick it out when in any doubt, or not giving youth support and time to develop. As a fanbase we were scared shitless of Unsworth coming through as a youth manager, yet that happens at top end of La Liga and across Bundesliga over last decade and a bit, where most of the success has been.

DoF is more a trendy thing to curb the worst excesses of managers and focus on development, but a great manager would be better without one. There are virtually no big clubs in Europe, where the DoF has more authority than manager and very few that appoint managers with any success. And very few of the best coaches would work in those roles, as you'll take the fall like Koeman did.

There are plenty of teams on the continent who have a DoF who doesn't have control of managers, they just do recruitment like a head scout but with more authority on recruitment. At that point I really don't care what title they have, call them the supreme footballing sensei if you fancy.

January 21, 2018, 09:56:02 PM
Reply #512

Duncs_a_legend

NSNO Subscriber
Was it from the same dude who gave duff team news?

Haha I've never posted team news, think that was Distin (or some name like that)
"I would never die for my beliefs...because I might be wrong"

January 21, 2018, 10:09:19 PM
Reply #513

sam of the south

Haha I've never posted team news, think that was Distin (or some name like that)

Ah, sorry, bro
Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

January 21, 2018, 10:10:27 PM
Reply #514

Evertonian in NC

I don't think DoF is trendy, I think English football is just catching up to modernity.  It's impossible for a manager to be on top of all the players involved in modern world football, and actually do his job as manager.  WAY too much work and responsibility for one person to even do adequately, let alone well.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 21, 2018, 10:11:52 PM
Reply #515

Ridge

I don't think DoF is trendy, I think English football is just catching up to modernity.  It's impossible for a manager to be on top of all the players involved in modern world football, and actually do his job as manager.  WAY too much work and responsibility for one person to even do adequately, let alone well.

That's why you have a scouting team to do that for you, as opposed to doing it to you.

January 21, 2018, 10:34:51 PM
Reply #516

Goaljira

NSNO Subscriber
You should just look at the NFLs front office and coaching systems.

You have a GM who reports to the owner, who's job it is to organise the Head Coach and Head of Recruitment.  The 3 work as a team to outline the philsophy and style that is being aimed for.  The HC tries to do this with the current playing staff, whilst highlighting where improvements/replacements are needed.  The HoR takes this information and finds potential players to fit these roles.  Once identified, approval its over to the GM to get shit done.
Cordiali saluti, motherfuckers.

January 21, 2018, 11:25:58 PM
Reply #517

Lxxx

How long has Devin been out of the game?

Although he’s BKs mate, I think he left Arsenal before Moshiri had his stake.
He sold his stake to Usmanov and Moshiri and then became chairman of their company for a short while. His past at Arsenal, coupled with his time at the FA, indicates he knows his way around the upper echelons of football even if he was to be a part-time advisor to the club.

He was also quite publicly called out by Allardyce if I remember rightly when big Sam was querying why his managerial genius wasn't warranting him a look in for the England job when Dein was at the FA. So this little cloud might have a silver lining....

January 21, 2018, 11:36:44 PM
Reply #518

Bluedylan

Go ed Django lad.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 22, 2018, 01:36:42 AM
Reply #519

Evertonian in NC

You should just look at the NFLs front office and coaching systems.

You have a GM who reports to the owner, who's job it is to organise the Head Coach and Head of Recruitment.  The 3 work as a team to outline the philsophy and style that is being aimed for.  The HC tries to do this with the current playing staff, whilst highlighting where improvements/replacements are needed.  The HoR takes this information and finds potential players to fit these roles.  Once identified, approval its over to the GM to get shit done.

And when one guy tries to be coach and GM...it doesn't work.  The coach and GM do need to be on the same page, however.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

January 22, 2018, 02:04:04 AM
Reply #520

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
If we play like the Yankees in here, we'll lose to the Yankees out there.

A quote from the film moneyball that perfectly sums up how I feel about how our transfer strategy should go.

January 22, 2018, 02:20:28 AM
Reply #521

Lxxx

If we play like the Yankees in here, we'll lose to the Yankees out there.

A quote from the film moneyball that perfectly sums up how I feel about how our transfer strategy should go.

Whilst I agree I hate the term Moneyball. Years ago it was just known as sensible recruitment, now the yanks think they’ve let the world in on some great secret.

January 22, 2018, 07:38:18 AM
Reply #522

Jamokachi

I'd be happy with Walsh going but deeply nervous about this board searching for a replacement.

The thing is, Walsh was regarded a big coup based on his success at Leicester. We wanted Monchi before settling on Walsh, so I'm not sure the fear is really reasonable to be honest. I think Walsh has been found out, and I think he has been a massive let down and that the higher ups have realised this. I also think the dearth of seemingly available quality managers meant we were left with trusting Walsh's backing of Allardyce et all. And lastly, I think that will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

January 22, 2018, 07:39:52 AM
Reply #523

Bluedylan

We've spent £239m in the last 12 months, and got worse. That's really quite spectacular mismanagement.
Jeff: That's not the way to win.
Kathie: Is there a way to win?
Jeff: There's a way to lose more slowly.

January 22, 2018, 07:41:13 AM
Reply #524

Jamokachi

We've spent £239m in the last 12 months, and got worse. That's really quite spectacular mismanagement.

I think a lot of the 'getting worse' is down to management. We had "gotten better" last season.