May 25, 2018, 08:31:25 AM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 42925 times)

January 23, 2018, 05:23:25 AM
Reply #525

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Wonder if Ralph Kreuger could be tempted from Southampton? Is he an owner of any kind?

They have les Reed but vice-chairman of football sounds a bit blag? He may well have a younger executive under him or something but hes 65 so I thought it may not be a functional position?

Anyway whoever is responsible for the by and large good quality recruitment strategy on quite tight purse strings backed by a great academy as I understand it - worth looking at? Summer might be a good time depending on how he feels at Southampton...hitting brick walls maybe.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

January 23, 2018, 06:40:45 AM
Reply #526

Ravardo

Surely if we want anyone from southampton it gotta be there scouts....theyve provide football teams of players not 1 or 2

January 23, 2018, 07:12:14 AM
Reply #527

kramer0

Paul Mitchell was Head of Recruitment at Southampton from January 2012 (the window before they were promoted to the Premier League) to November 2014 (the year Koeman took over). Plenty of hits in that time (Mane, Tadic, Bertrand, Alderweireld, Forster, Wanyama, Lovren, Rodriguez, Clyne, Davis) but also some major misses (Gaston, Mayuka, Forren, Osvaldo, Gardos, Taider). Gaston, Gardos, Taider, and even Mayuka were probably worth the risk but Forren and Osvaldo (who might have been Pochettino's request) were disasters.

Moved from Southampton to Spurs to perform the same role but left last March. Made some decent moves (Alli, Son, Alderweireld again, Trippier, Wanyama again) but a fair number of poor ones (Janssen, Sissoko, N'Koudou, Wimmer, N'Jie), although, again, I'd argue that a few of those that didn't work out were worth the risk (Janssen, N'Jie, Wimmer) and Sissoko was reportedly Levy's decision, so he's absolved of that.

He's unattached, anyhow. If Premier League experience is so important to us, he might be someone worth considering. Walsh might be a good scout but he is not suited for the job he's doing now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 07:19:38 AM by kramer0 »

January 23, 2018, 08:34:57 AM
Reply #528

boothill

To be fair, I think the club made a big error in recruiting Walsh, since then, all recruitment has had Walsh involvement. But it was the original sin that has lead to the others.

Our recruitment was always very good up until Moshiri and Walsh arrival. Moshiri appointed Allardyce, but I'm not sure he would have done so without Walsh's recommendation. Once he stops getting bad advice from Walsh, it's hard to see how he or club could do any worse.

January 23, 2018, 01:54:41 PM
Reply #529

Macca77

Wha does Walsh actually do?

January 23, 2018, 02:04:17 PM
Reply #530

School of Science

Scouts players who can not pass a football, who are largely slow, not very mobile and if possible do not shoot. How the fuck did Leicester win the league ?
Everton premier league champions 2014 / 15

January 23, 2018, 04:17:00 PM
Reply #531

Lxxx

I would imagine in the bigger scheme of things binning him off wouldn't even cause a ripple in the finances so I'd sack him this afternoon. We managed without a DoF up to now and by and large ran a pretty decent ship. Since he took over we've lurched from one poor decision to another. Bin him off, tell Kenwright to resume transfer negotiations for a week and then we appoint a new DoF in the summer.

January 23, 2018, 04:28:14 PM
Reply #532

Lazarou

I would imagine in the bigger scheme of things binning him off wouldn't even cause a ripple in the finances so I'd sack him this afternoon. We managed without a DoF up to now and by and large ran a pretty decent ship. Since he took over we've lurched from one poor decision to another. Bin him off, tell Kenwright to resume transfer negotiations for a week and then we appoint a new DoF in the summer.

Spot on, a DOF has probably been out biggest structural change for a long time and it coincides with a poor, disjointed team that has none of the qualities associated with Everton over the last decade or so but has cost more in transfer fees and wages.

Indefensible appointment.

January 23, 2018, 07:12:46 PM
Reply #533

Dr. Sponge

Scouts players from MOTD highlights.

We've been a shambles since he came in. Since we signed Bolasie for 30mil I haven't felt comfortable with our recruitment. Lazy buys.

One good run of games under Koeman that saved our season, aside from that we've been shite all round.

January 23, 2018, 07:17:36 PM
Reply #534

formerKHL

for me the manager stands and falls by his team selections...

so he should choose and buy the players he wants...

why do we/any club need a DOF ? hardly any of them have worked out/been a success......

put the manager in charge and let him stand or fall by his own decisions....

January 23, 2018, 07:19:56 PM
Reply #535

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
I fancy a @kramer0 dossier on who we should replace Walsh with

January 23, 2018, 07:23:55 PM
Reply #536

formerKHL

I fancy a @kramer0 dossier on who we should replace Walsh with

1. The new manager

January 23, 2018, 07:25:12 PM
Reply #537

Macca77

Scouts players from MOTD highlights.

We've been a shambles since he came in. Since we signed Bolasie for 30mil I haven't felt comfortable with our recruitment. Lazy buys.

One good run of games under Koeman that saved our season, aside from that we've been shite all round.

He's had a few nice holidays on us like, little sight seeing tour around Italy last summer. Other than that, they only thing he's done is hired his mates, Allardyce and Shakespeare

January 23, 2018, 09:18:02 PM
Reply #538

kramer0

1. The new manager

Fuck no. Not enough time in the day for that anymore. Managers need to focus on coaching the team. Plus, when the manager runs the show, the club loses everything when he goes.

We're still reeling from the transfer team Moyes built being torn down by Martinez/Reeves.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:28:13 PM by kramer0 »

January 23, 2018, 09:39:21 PM
Reply #539

formerKHL

Fuck no. Not enough time in the day for that anymore. Managers need to focus on coaching the team. Plus, when the manager runs the show, the club loses everything when he goes.

We're still reeling from the transfer team Moyes built being torn down by Martinez/Reeves.

always and every time for me.......football has survived without these people for over 100 years.....
some smart ass brings one in and "its the way forward..." yet no one knows exactly what they do......what's the selection criteria when appointing one...anyone know?