September 18, 2018, 08:16:30 PM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 48472 times)

February 07, 2018, 10:00:38 PM
Reply #600

formerKHL

Les Reed is a great example how you work through football at every level, learn the job from top to bottom then secure yourself at executive level....

He was a great visionary at the FA who took a back seat on most things he implemented and allowed others to take the credit..

most of the managers he worked with he led them by example...he set the tone and led the way....

some of his seminars were great visionary examples of how to move the game forward.....

February 08, 2018, 01:12:48 AM
Reply #601

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
What's your beef with Elstone?

The club, for their size, have been largely static commercially, I lack confidence in our abilities to negotiate the best possible sponsorship deals, and there are existing concerns over the suitability of the Kitbag deal and his part in it.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 08, 2018, 01:33:30 AM
Reply #602

sam of the south

Leipzig hired Paul Mitchell?

:-(

Yeah.

I reckon we will end up with Phil Mitchell

Dignity does not consist in possessing honours, but in deserving them

February 08, 2018, 01:40:56 AM
Reply #603

bigmanbob

I can't believe this is even getting discussed, he has to go ASAP

February 08, 2018, 01:52:29 AM
Reply #604

Ridge

The club, for their size, have been largely static commercially, I lack confidence in our abilities to negotiate the best possible sponsorship deals, and there are existing concerns over the suitability of the Kitbag deal and his part in it.

Commercial revenue went up 66% last year.

Kitbag deal turned an area we lost money, into several million profit,it expires in a couple of years. They now have deals with 50% of PL, 70% of La Liga etc. Instead of fighting for retail space, we went for online sales and it worked out much better financially. Being in retail shops reduced profit margin for club, even though retail price was similar.

February 08, 2018, 02:01:39 AM
Reply #605

brap2

NSNO Subscriber

Kitbag deal turned an area we lost money, into several million profit,it expires in a couple of years. They now have deals with 50% of PL, 70% of La Liga etc. Instead of fighting for retail space, we went for online sales and it worked out much better financially. Being in retail shops reduced profit margin for club, even though retail price was similar.

He likes rugby.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 08, 2018, 02:10:44 AM
Reply #606

bluenuck

Never understood the hate for Elstone.

February 08, 2018, 02:27:41 AM
Reply #607

Ridge

He likes rugby.

I think the rugby job is largely why he gets the grassroots, importance of community projects and engaging with fans. He's a suit, but on the numbers he's always been good, and on the fan interaction I'd say he was always considerate and professional. Fanbase was so used to scratching their eyes out at the job BK was doing before him, that Elstone's early deals were treated more suspiciously.

He might just be the last competent senior member of staff, his days are probably numbered.

February 08, 2018, 03:45:08 AM
Reply #608

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
@Ridge can I ask where your figures are from re: last years commercial performance btw? Would be interested in having a look if they’re available somewhere

February 08, 2018, 05:20:04 AM
Reply #609

Ridge

@Ridge can I ask where your figures are from re: last years commercial performance btw? Would be interested in having a look if they’re available somewhere

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2017/12/22/everton-posts-record-turnover-and-30m-post-tax-profit

February 08, 2018, 06:22:32 AM
Reply #610

Ramjam

Leipzig hired Paul Mitchell?

:-(
We’ll probably sign Peggy, Phil or Grant
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

February 08, 2018, 01:46:41 PM
Reply #611

74Blue

We’ll probably sign Peggy, Phil or Grant
Knowing Everton, we'll bring in all three. The dream team...

February 08, 2018, 02:10:55 PM
Reply #612

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2017/12/22/everton-posts-record-turnover-and-30m-post-tax-profit

Thank you, but sponsorship & advertising =/= commercial performance. And that was the year we signed our new shirt sponsors and introduced a sleeve sponsor, so you would expect a big jump in spon. Would be interested to see other clubs % growth for each new sponsor.

For commercial to have grown 66% last year would represent a stunning turnaround, as since 2013 commercial has grown by just £8m (as of 2016 accounts), and by those accounts profit from commercial had dropped between 15-16.

In fact, if you look at our EBITDA for that account period, the only clubs worse than Everton at proftiable revenue generation are Swansea, Sunderland, Stoke, and Villa.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:14:58 PM by brap2 »

February 08, 2018, 03:10:04 PM
Reply #613

van der Meyde

Thank you, but sponsorship & advertising =/= commercial performance. And that was the year we signed our new shirt sponsors and introduced a sleeve sponsor, so you would expect a big jump in spon. Would be interested to see other clubs % growth for each new sponsor.

For commercial to have grown 66% last year would represent a stunning turnaround, as since 2013 commercial has grown by just £8m (as of 2016 accounts), and by those accounts profit from commercial had dropped between 15-16.

In fact, if you look at our EBITDA for that account period, the only clubs worse than Everton at proftiable revenue generation are Swansea, Sunderland, Stoke, and Villa.
Relative measures like the 66% aren't very helpful really because they lack context. How did that £8m increase compare to the clubs above us or to clubs like Leicester, West Ham and Southampton?

If a £1 bet returned you £1.66 that's a 66% increase too, but it's also nothing to write home about.

February 08, 2018, 05:15:54 PM
Reply #614

Ridge

You're only likely to get a major increase when you sign new deals, deals are never going to increase like that over duration of agreement. I wouldn't expect many clubs to post increases of that size, Leicester maybe? But you normally expect improved financial results to follow improved on pitch performances, in part because commercial agreements reward based on performance.

SportPesa is included and shows the increase of about double on previous year and supposedly will show 3 fold increase on Chang deal in due course. Was about £10m, puts us about 7th/8th overall on main sponsor, behind who you'd expect. It tends to make up around 20%-40% of commercial revenue, so key element to get right. It's not the best deal, but it's not the worst and it's a big improvement.

Sleeve sponsor is earning United about £10m, average in PL is probably closer to £1m and probably accounts for something like 5% increase in most cases, only started this season didn't it? not sure that would be included or for full year. In the scheme of things Angry Birds is a sponsor I quite like the profile of. Innovative, engages young fans, digital content, global reach. I can't help but feel we might have got more content, potential, if things hadn't been so shit on the field.

Would assume USM deal for training ground is also included, but again not sure how many months. That is worth a similar amount over a year as the increase in value of the shirt sponsor, supposedly about £5m. Obviously that's tied to board connections, but that's not something a CEO can control.

It's not the entire commercial profit, but then Goodison has limitations with regard to corporate facilities and commercial space. Essentially there is very little room to increase profitability without increasing prices or flogging us more tat or treating us more as consumers.

There's only so much work you can do on marketing and actually I think the comedy decisions are not in our commercial operation anymore. Elstone can't control managerial appointments, DoF, transfers or performances on the field. But off the field the poor choices are in boardroom Elstone is a part of. But he's not calling the shots, he's dealing with the fallout and poor decisions, his job could be much easier if we had a manager who managed the club with pride and ambition, which company would want to be associated with us this season?