September 20, 2018, 12:40:04 PM

Author Topic: Should we sack Steve Walsh?  (Read 48760 times)

February 17, 2018, 08:45:53 PM
Reply #675

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Proper worried about little Davy Klaassen. Especially since he’s balling out big time for my PES team.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 17, 2018, 09:21:18 PM
Reply #676

Mick 1995

NSNO Subscriber
I'm actually not sure he's done a bad job in the parts he's actually done. The problem has been he's let others make big decisions and they've been expensive mistakes

At the moment i'm only willing to have Sandro be a mistake - and that was a limited cost one.

I think, after stewing on this some more - it's the stuff he *hasn't* done that has me questioning him.
Left back, width, pace, main striker. Leaving the summer window without that was bad.
Leaving the jan window without 2 of those things still seems indefensible.

If Mangala was genuinely an option at left back then i'll forgive the lack of immediate main striker and happy to give him another window now that @brap2 has made that point.
If he wasn't then i want him out as 2 windows should be sufficient to fill any 1 position.

February 17, 2018, 09:27:21 PM
Reply #677

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Make a really good point, it’s definitey the gaps rather than the moves we made. May well see different players out of some of these next year when they’ve had a chance to settle. Very toppsy-turvy year to find your feet in the prem, most disruption we’ve had for about 20 years I’d say.

Imagine how things would have been different had we got :

Kolasinac (LB)
Giroud (St)
Keïta Balde (Pace)
Koulibaly (Left sided, ball-playing monster CB)
Tuchel (manager)

Honestly that side looks champions league to me.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 09:28:36 PM by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

February 17, 2018, 10:43:35 PM
Reply #678

kramer0

Why are we still making excuses for this guy?

He spent a lot of money on players that don't belong on the pitch together and with the exception of Giroud, most of those "what ifs” were reaches for where we are in the pecking order of European football (and we wasted plenty of time pursuing them). His job is to identify realistic targets that fit the way we want to play and he isn't doing that (I don't think he, or anyone at the club, even has a style in mind). Not to mention that our old squad has stayed old and we're going to have to replace a bunch of his signings in a year or two.

We can and should do better for such an important role at the club. Get rid.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:45:01 PM by kramer0 »

February 17, 2018, 11:29:42 PM
Reply #679

Lxxx

I personally think Koeman overpowered him in the first year of the job. The likes of Williams, Klaassan, Martina, Sig, Bolasie and Rooney were all probably players that Koeman insisted on. Same with Giroud which is why we went all out for him and were left high and dry when he bailed.

Walsh’s fingers look all over Gueye, Pickford, Keane, Sandro, Vlasic and Lookman. Which, when you break it down, doesn’t look too bad. His failure to provide a back up to Giroud and any left back whatsoever are blotting his copybook but I think we can lay a lot of blame at Koeman’s door as well as Walsh.

February 18, 2018, 03:19:11 AM
Reply #680

piggypop

NSNO Subscriber
I personally think Koeman overpowered him in the first year of the job. The likes of Williams, Klaassan, Martina, Sig, Bolasie and Rooney were all probably players that Koeman insisted on. Same with Giroud which is why we went all out for him and were left high and dry when he bailed.

Walsh's fingers look all over Gueye, Pickford, Keane, Sandro, Vlasic and Lookman. Which, when you break it down, doesn't look too bad. His failure to provide a back up to Giroud and any left back whatsoever are blotting his copybook but I think we can lay a lot of blame at Koeman's door as well as Walsh.
I don't disagree on who was probably  responsible for bringing each of those players in, but if Walsh keeps being over-ruled by managers and those players aren't even good enough for us, then that is enough reason to say he is not the right man for the job and our club.
We need a DoF with balls and a vision of how to shape the playing side of the club.

It's a big worry he's not been booted out already. We need someone useful in that role before we start doing any planning for next season. A DoF should be involved in hiring a new manager (if that was going to happen in the summer) as well as helping to decide what recruitment is needed (as if that hasn't been obvious to almost everyone for the last 18 months)

I'm actually a bit baffled as to how he has managed to cling on for this long with the absolute ineptitude that has been displayed.

February 18, 2018, 03:22:29 AM
Reply #681

KoemansNumberTens

I don't disagree on who was probably  responsible for bringing each of those players in, but if Walsh keeps being over-ruled by managers and those players aren't even good enough for us, then that is enough reason to say he is not the right man for the job and our club.
We need a DoF with balls and a vision of how to shape the playing side of the club.

It's a big worry he's not been booted out already. We need someone useful in that role before we start doing any planning for next season. A DoF should be involved in hiring a new manager (if that was going to happen in the summer) as well as helping to decide what recruitment is needed (as if that hasn't been obvious to almost everyone for the last 18 months)

I'm actually a bit baffled as to how he has managed to cling on for this long with the absolute ineptitude that has been displayed.

He's been weak but I also think it's down to us getting the role of DOF a bit muddled too. It's been a bit of a free for all with our recruitment. Often paying over the odds for proven but not fantastic players the managers appear to have insisted on.

February 18, 2018, 03:45:41 AM
Reply #682

Lxxx

I’m not defending him but he was brought in way above his ability and experience level at the same time as a world renowned legend of the game.
I can well imagine him being a little intimidated for the first 12 months and acquiescing to Koeman, who was a forceful character in his own right.

I just think he’s a man out of his depth and it would be wise to pay him off and get in a man with a lot more experience of the role to give us some stability moving forwards.

February 18, 2018, 04:05:57 PM
Reply #683

Cassius

NSNO Subscriber
I've been giving this a lot of thought, weighing up what I know of Walsh, his remit and responsibilities, how he comes across, our recruitment, continuity and the people brought in around him and while my knowledge of a lot of this is limited to just rumours and hearsay, I think my answer to the original question is yes, we should sack the sack of shit.

I should also say that a DoF should be strong enough to overrule a manager on a signing. They should be responsible for the long term, the vision and general style of the club. The manager coaches the available players to the agreed style. The manager is a short term, replaceable role in this structure and their opinion should be valued but not final.

If they're not strong enough to back down over the signing of a player that doesn't fit this, they're not right for the role.

February 19, 2018, 02:03:27 PM
Reply #684

Hawkandro

I think that is a case of be careful what you wish for, as apparently Allardyce was one Walsh recommended.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

February 19, 2018, 02:04:25 PM
Reply #685

Hawkandro

Proper worried about little Davy Klaassen. Especially since he’s balling out big time for my PES team.

This winds me up more than anything; especially in the light of Sam's comments about Schneiderlin being 'no worse' than others over the weekend. So, basically admitting he has been poor, but still not willing to give Klaassen a chance. It stinks.
Yes, we're being condescending. Yes, that means we're talking down to you.

February 19, 2018, 04:51:07 PM
Reply #686

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
This winds me up more than anything; especially in the light of Sam's comments about Schneiderlin being 'no worse' than others over the weekend. So, basically admitting he has been poor, but still not willing to give Klaassen a chance. It stinks.

To be fair he’s been very clear on the fact he thinks klaassen is way off this level at the moment.

February 25, 2018, 01:29:03 AM
Reply #687

Cereal Killer

Has he gone yet?

February 25, 2018, 01:30:37 AM
Reply #688

Martip

Absolutely stealing a living.

February 25, 2018, 08:17:28 AM
Reply #689

Ramjam

Change the lock to his office and see if he gets the hint.
WE ARE THE PEOPLE