November 22, 2017, 10:41:42 PM

Author Topic: Who do you want?  (Read 6020 times)

October 05, 2017, 01:46:29 AM
Reply #90

benny

NSNO Subscriber
Enter Brendan Rodgers - and don't be surprised

Unfinished business on Merseyside

this is getting worse now

deCoubertin

October 05, 2017, 02:02:23 AM
Reply #91

wepull

One thing about Unsworth apart from the points already raised would be handling of players. It's one thing managing u-23s and it's a total different ball game managing players with highly inflated egos.

I believe the dynamics is very different when you buy a 50 million player and bench him and players throwing hissy fits when not being played. Controlling the dressing room also comes with experience and that is one thing which I believe goes against Unsworth.

October 05, 2017, 02:13:34 AM
Reply #92

KoemansNumberTens

The Unsworth shouts are poor, people seem to think being an ex player will have any sort of effect on the squad, it counts for shit nowadays - Shearer at Newcastle springs to mind

We've got a tiny amount of homegrown players, most of the foreign players won't be arsed if Unsworth used to play, we need a good manager, this appointment assuming Koeman goes is going to be critically important to the clubs future

I couldn't give a fuck if unsworth used to play for us or not. What he's done with the u23s is what people find exciting. Hence there's no yakubu, Ferguson or joe max Moore shouts. There's not even a Stuart Barlow shout

October 05, 2017, 03:11:06 AM
Reply #93

Realist

I couldn't give a fuck if unsworth used to play for us or not. What he's done with the u23s is what people find exciting. Hence there's no yakubu, Ferguson or joe max Moore shouts. There's not even a Stuart Barlow shout

Well in that case there's loads more candidates - anyone who's done well with a youth team is in with a shout then?

October 05, 2017, 04:06:38 AM
Reply #94

bogie

The Unsworth shouts are poor, people seem to think being an ex player will have any sort of effect on the squad, it counts for shit nowadays - Shearer at Newcastle springs to mind

We've got a tiny amount of homegrown players, most of the foreign players won't be arsed if Unsworth used to play, we need a good manager, this appointment assuming Koeman goes is going to be critically important to the clubs future

Shearer and done nothing at any lvl Unsworth has and not one member in here is saying give him the job and be done with it , let him take the job now as we look and see how he goes at it even if he goes well but a top manager is and would come then alls good as Unsworth get a few more games under the belt

one thing I would add is that big dunk gets to take over the under 23,s he has been sitting there as 1st team coach with what is looking like 2 fails time to see if he has it or not

October 05, 2017, 04:25:01 AM
Reply #95

KoemansNumberTens

Well in that case there's loads more candidates - anyone who's done well with a youth team is in with a shout then?

Possibly though most of us haven't seen that first hand.

October 05, 2017, 04:55:55 AM
Reply #96

BlueMaquis

It's time for us to learn from our mistakes and go with a results-based appointment. We've tried the "promising up and coming manager" in Martinez and we've tried the "champion player so must be a good manager" approach in Koeman. Neither worked. The only relevant questions should now be "What have you won? What have you achieved?" Cups don't count - any team in football can go on a lucky run.

October 05, 2017, 05:16:07 AM
Reply #97

KoemansNumberTens

It's time for us to learn from our mistakes and go with a results-based appointment. We've tried the "promising up and coming manager" in Martinez and we've tried the "champion player so must be a good manager" approach in Koeman. Neither worked. The only relevant questions should now be "What have you won? What have you achieved?" Cups don't count - any team in football can go on a lucky run.

Brendon Rodgers then? Or ranieri??

I do think this is nonsense. What have they won has to be considered against other factors. Barcelona have had a poor manager win the treble

October 05, 2017, 05:34:44 AM
Reply #98

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Fuck it if Unsworth gets a chance he gets a chance, and I'm very glad we're doing well at U23, but we are spending a lot of money there and we are currently enjoying our so called 'golden generation'  - I mean, how many u23 teams have a 6m cb?

For me I just don't think he's done enough in his career so far and Realist makes a good point - ok if unsworth has nothing at all to do with the fact he's an ex player and a sound fella, I assume you'd all be fine hiring some random U23 manager from somewhere else? Would you fuck.

but that's fine I get it, unsworth is someone the club should be quite proud of, I know I am - I'd just rather a manager who has experience and pedigree, but if it worked it would be a phenomenal story.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 05, 2017, 06:02:04 AM
Reply #99

KoemansNumberTens

Fuck it if Unsworth gets a chance he gets a chance, and I'm very glad we're doing well at U23, but we are spending a lot of money there and we are currently enjoying our so called 'golden generation'  - I mean, how many u23 teams have a 6m cb?

For me I just don't think he's done enough in his career so far and Realist makes a good point - ok if unsworth has nothing at all to do with the fact he's an ex player and a sound fella, I assume you'd all be fine hiring some random U23 manager from somewhere else? Would you fuck.

but that's fine I get it, unsworth is someone the club should be quite proud of, I know I am - I'd just rather a manager who has experience and pedigree, but if it worked it would be a phenomenal story.

I'd happily take a different inexperienced manager if they believe he's potentially great.

The difference is with a random u23s manager from elsewhere is that our fan base would be infinitely less familiar with his work and hence less keen.

He's actually the candidate we probably as fans know most about. Think it's that much more than him being an ex player

October 05, 2017, 06:10:15 AM
Reply #100

Jamokachi

Not for me either but shouts of Rafa.

Look at Rafa's CV. He may be at Newcastle, and he may have been in the Championship last season but he has undeniable pedigree. He's won things everywhere he's been. I'd happily see him as our manager.

October 05, 2017, 06:32:26 AM
Reply #101

Rhys

Look at Rafa's CV. He may be at Newcastle, and he may have been in the Championship last season but he has undeniable pedigree. He's won things everywhere he's been. I'd happily see him as our manager.

CV is very good. However he has only won the EL with Chelsea and Italian cup with Napoli in the last 11 years despite managing clubs expecting to win trophies for nearly all that time, until Newcastle... so you could argue he has had his peak as a manager.

October 05, 2017, 06:55:07 AM
Reply #102

Shogun

Administrator

Isn't our aim to break the top 6?

Benitez got sacked after six months at Inter.
He came to Chelsea with them four points off the title, they ended up 14 points (around that figure) off the title.
He took over Napoli after them finishing 2nd. In his two seasons, they finished 3rd and then 5th.
He was hilariously out of his depth at Real Madrid.
He failed to beat Sunderland, Norwich and Aston Villa in his months at Newcastle and got them relegated.

That's without going into the gross amount of money he spent at those clubs and the dire football to go with it.
I'm more trusting of fellas when they have my cock in their mouth

October 05, 2017, 07:03:02 AM
Reply #103

Jamokachi

Fair points from you guys @Rhys and @Shogun ... I think I should clarify my position. I don't want us to go after Benitez if Koeman is given the boot, it was more of a comparison to Hughton. I would happily see him as our manager over Koeman at this point in time given his pedigree, but that's not to say I'd advocate us making a move when there are better options available.

I jumped on the Unsworth train a while ago anyway  :smug:

October 05, 2017, 07:13:20 AM
Reply #104

Juanito

A lot of managers seem out of our depth but they earn a lot less than 6 million a year across the continent, so we should perhaps be a little more ambitious that shouts of Dyche and Benitez