November 25, 2017, 05:37:06 PM

Author Topic: Who do you want?  (Read 6142 times)

October 05, 2017, 08:02:24 PM
Reply #135

KoemansNumberTens

Nonsense

What's nonsense. That there might be better options than unsworth in youth football most of which we are unaware of? Which part is nonsense.

deCoubertin

October 05, 2017, 08:04:49 PM
Reply #136

KoemansNumberTens

Agree.

This was why I was keen on Pellegrini when we were linked.

Was he the most inspiring choice? No.

But at least he had first hand experience of what it would take to win the prem

Half a billion pounds. How is that helpful

October 05, 2017, 08:17:04 PM
Reply #137

Waltzer

I'd be ok with Unsworth until the end of the season to see what he can do.

You're not really going to be able to make a good long term managerial appointment halfway through a season anyway.

Why would Unsworth be a good appointment? The fact is if were talking about sacking a manager its because something is going drastically wrong so why would you want to appoint a manager with no experience dealing in that environment? Newcastle did it with Shearer expecting that big uplift in fortune and got relegated.
If we were to sack Koeman and the only option was a short term until the end of the season id prefer Big Sam (await abuse) over Unsworth as at least you know what you're getting. BTW I want Big Sam about as much as i want a kick in the nuts but if it was him or Unsworth I no who id go for.

October 05, 2017, 08:25:23 PM
Reply #138

Bluenose 91

Why would Unsworth be a good appointment? The fact is if were talking about sacking a manager its because something is going drastically wrong so why would you want to appoint a manager with no experience dealing in that environment? Newcastle did it with Shearer expecting that big uplift in fortune and got relegated.
If we were to sack Koeman and the only option was a short term until the end of the season id prefer Big Sam (await abuse) over Unsworth as at least you know what you're getting. BTW I want Big Sam about as much as i want a kick in the nuts but if it was him or Unsworth I no who id go for.

Think he'd be alright as a stop gap. Knows the players and club so it's an easy transition at a difficult time.

Obviously long term we should be going for someone more established and ambitious.

October 05, 2017, 08:27:40 PM
Reply #139

BlueMaquis

Half a billion pounds. How is that helpful

So 4 of our transfer windows? That would be brilliant if he could do that for us. The pundits seem to think it would take a lot more.

October 05, 2017, 08:28:50 PM
Reply #140

Waltzer

Think he'd be alright as a stop gap. Knows the players and club so it's an easy transition at a difficult time.

Obviously long term we should be going for someone more established and ambitious.

Dunno, sometimes it makes it harder to transition from being mates to managing the team.

October 05, 2017, 08:33:31 PM
Reply #141

Waltzer

So 4 of our transfer windows? That would be brilliant if he could do that for us. The pundits seem to think it would take a lot more.

Not quite, City weren't in the habit of selling their best and most prize'd assets as we are. And I think the 500 million was probably Net unlike ours which is probably not even 100 in the last 4 windows.

October 05, 2017, 08:37:50 PM
Reply #142

Mayor Farnum

And waste a couple of transfer windows in the mean time.

Unsworth, like most managers, will realistically achieve seventh. So at the end of the season you have no real cause to sack him but there would still be the uncertainty of whether to trust him in the transfer market.

October 05, 2017, 08:38:36 PM
Reply #143

KoemansNumberTens

The market has doubled since then. He isn't going to do the same here unless you give him the biggest budget for players and wages. Neither of which we have

October 05, 2017, 08:41:36 PM
Reply #144

Mayor Farnum

I actually think Big Sam is a good shout. I would go a step further and give him a proper contract and let him manage. He produces what we need most of all; a winning team. Evertonians, whatever they like to imagine, would not give a shit about style of play.   

October 05, 2017, 08:42:08 PM
Reply #145

Major Clanger

Newcastle did it with Shearer expecting that big uplift in fortune and got relegated.

I'm not saying we should go for Unsworth or not, but that comparison is wrong on so many levels that it hurts.

Newcastle were all but relegated when they appointed Shearer, who had never managed a team at any age group or level, had no coaching qualifications, and had no knowledge of the club or the players.

Why not bring up Guardiola or Tuchel as examples, both fully qualified coaches promoted from within the club's youth setup with zero senior experience and did alright. You can also cite cases where it went wrong like Ricky Sbragia, but the Shearer comparison is just lazy and invalid.

(Though if the alternative is Sam Fucking Allardyce, we might as well not bother and leave Koeman do his thing.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:43:30 PM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 05, 2017, 08:56:06 PM
Reply #146

Realist

What's nonsense. That there might be better options than unsworth in youth football most of which we are unaware of? Which part is nonsense.

Yes, just about all of it. Why are we going to consider anyone who's done well with a youth team?
Do you not understand that there's a difference between coaching kids & a full team?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:57:11 PM by Realist »

October 05, 2017, 08:56:34 PM
Reply #147

Waltzer

I'm not saying we should go for Unsworth or not, but that comparison is wrong on so many levels that it hurts.

Newcastle were all but relegated when they appointed Shearer, who had never managed a team at any age group or level, had no coaching qualifications, and had no knowledge of the club or the players.

Why not bring up Guardiola or Tuchel as examples, both fully qualified coaches promoted from within the club's youth setup with zero senior experience and did alright. You can also cite cases where it went wrong like Ricky Sbragia, but the Shearer comparison is just lazy and invalid.

(Though if the alternative is Sam Fucking Allardyce, we might as well not bother and leave Koeman do his thing.)

Newcastle werent all but relegated, they were 2 points of 17th place but yes I get your point about qualifications.

Guardiola or Tuchel both went into teams on the up not the decline which would be our situation. And Tuchel had plenty of experience managing at lower levels both in youth and first team football didnt he?

October 05, 2017, 09:02:19 PM
Reply #148

KoemansNumberTens

Yes, just about all of it. Why are we going to consider anyone who's done well with a youth team?
Do you not understand that there's a difference between coaching kids & a full team?

Do you understand what I even said? You seem to have either quoted the wrong post or simply not understood English.

October 05, 2017, 09:10:11 PM
Reply #149

Realist

Do you understand what I even said? You seem to have either quoted the wrong post or simply not understood English.

Yes I understood it perfectly clearly and responded perfectly clearly. You asked what was nonsense and I told you.
I've tried to requote the conversation but it won't let me, go have a read back cos I have and it made perfect sense really
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:14:41 PM by Realist »