November 20, 2017, 06:38:55 AM

Author Topic: Who do you want?  (Read 5921 times)

October 05, 2017, 09:11:52 PM
Reply #150

Major Clanger

Newcastle werent all but relegated, they were 2 points of 17th place but yes I get your point about qualifications.

Guardiola or Tuchel both went into teams on the up not the decline which would be our situation. And Tuchel had plenty of experience managing at lower levels both in youth and first team football didnt he?

Newcastle were doomed, yes mathematically they were close but they were completely demoralised and hopeless and clearly going down. They brought in Shearer in a desperate last bid to rally the troops and raise morale. It was an idiotic idea.

And no, Tuchel only was reserve coach before going to Mainz. There's Pál Dárdai too, who did take over a team truly in decline and that worked out too. As I said, there are plenty of examples where it didn't, it happens. And I'd argue that we aren't in decline at all, we're in the doldrums: we've got enough money to do better, we've got the players to do better, we're just bereft of organisation, ideas and inspiration.

Again, I'm not saying Unsworth is the answer, I just think people place far too much emphasis on this mythical "first team management experience" (as if saving Arseofnowhere Town from relegation into the Fray Bentos League gave any kind of transferable skills to managing a Premier League Club trying to break into the top six/five/four whatever)  and far too little on knowing the team inside out and having a clear idea what to do with them.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 09:15:23 PM by Major Clanger »
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

deCoubertin

October 05, 2017, 09:15:53 PM
Reply #151

KoemansNumberTens

Yes I understood it perfectly clearly and responded perfectly clearly. You asked what was nonsense and I told you.
I've tried to require the whole conversation but it won't let me, go have a read back cos I have and it made perfect sense really

The post you quoted and said was nonsense was 1 stating unsworth was a youth team manager we are most familiar with and that yes there could be better managers in your football. Which of the 2 points are nonsense. Are we Everton fans more familiar with other youth team managers? Is unsworth the worlds best youth team manager for certain. Which of them things are you stating.

October 05, 2017, 09:36:00 PM
Reply #152

Realist

The post you quoted and said was nonsense was 1 stating unsworth was a youth team manager we are most familiar with and that yes there could be better managers in your football. Which of the 2 points are nonsense. Are we Everton fans more familiar with other youth team managers? Is unsworth the worlds best youth team manager for certain. Which of them things are you stating.

The whole thing is nonsense, like I said why do you think a youth team coach would be able to fix the mess we're in?
Again do you not think there's a difference between looking good as a manager when you have a team of kids vs managing full pro's and a premier league side with zero experience??

October 05, 2017, 09:40:07 PM
Reply #153

KoemansNumberTens

The whole thing is nonsense, like I said why do you think a youth team coach would be able to fix the mess we're in?
Again do you not think there's a difference between looking good as a manager when you have a team of kids vs managing full pro's and a premier league side with zero experience??

It's nonsense to suggest promoting from within? Maybe Barca should have let guardiola go elsewhere? Surely it's a case by case basis and if the people in charge think they have a special talent then you promote them? Surely a 1 size fits all policy is nonsense?

October 05, 2017, 09:44:53 PM
Reply #154

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Such a depressing thread.

October 05, 2017, 09:49:28 PM
Reply #155

Realist

It's nonsense to suggest promoting from within? Maybe Barca should have let guardiola go elsewhere? Surely it's a case by case basis and if the people in charge think they have a special talent then you promote them? Surely a 1 size fits all policy is nonsense?

Yes it's nonsense in my eyes in our current state, Unsworth isn't a gamble we can really afford right now is he?
Barcelona & Everton are different entities. The Guardiola example is easy to use. We don't have anything like what Barca had to offer Guardiola. Barca were not in a mess like we are either.

October 05, 2017, 10:00:16 PM
Reply #156

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Jib it you two.

October 05, 2017, 10:12:05 PM
Reply #157

Realist

Jib it you two.

Why? We're not having a slanging match or even a heated debate, I don't really see the problem we're just having a back & forth debate in which we have differing opinions

October 05, 2017, 10:28:57 PM
Reply #158

Toddacelli

He bought the league had unlimited resources and still managed to finish 5th in his last term. Appreciate they'd confirmed Pep was arriving but you'd have thought that would make the players want to impress more?

Half a billion pounds. How is that helpful

You're either missing the point or I didn't put it across well enough.

To clarify -

Of the managers that we were seriously linked to at that time - I wanted the only one who had won the Premier League (and recently).

I am fed up of 'triers' - I want a 'tried and tested'.

It should not be too much to ask with out current and immediate future prospects.

I'm only here for the cladding/Bramley Moore Dock updates

October 05, 2017, 10:50:29 PM
Reply #159

Paddockoldie

Yes it's nonsense in my eyes in our current state, Unsworth isn't a gamble we can really afford right now is he?
Barcelona & Everton are different entities. The Guardiola example is easy to use. We don't have anything like what Barca had to offer Guardiola. Barca were not in a mess like we are either.

Liverpool has the famous boot room and many times promoted from within. Paisley, Fagan didn't manage outside the club before getting the job unless I'm mistaken. I appreciate football's changed alot since those days but if you come from within the club, you know it, have support from within it and if you played for the club, you've got the passion. Just thought I'd mention it.

October 05, 2017, 10:56:44 PM
Reply #160

GrantyBoy78

Not opposed to the Unsworth shouts. He’d either do great or have a mare though. It’s different dealing with u23s who want to do well and impress the manager - to managing millionaires who act like they’re doing you a favour just turning up for training.

October 05, 2017, 11:04:40 PM
Reply #161

Major Clanger

Not opposed to the Unsworth shouts. He’d either do great or have a mare though. It’s different dealing with u23s who want to do well and impress the manager - to managing millionaires who act like they’re doing you a favour just turning up for training.

It is different, but it's not like starting to learn ski jumping straight on the big slope. If you can manage people, you will quickly find a way to deal with new situations.
The Shadow Over Inasmuch - The Adventures of Bicoid, Hunchback and Kruppel

October 06, 2017, 12:04:05 AM
Reply #162

Paddockoldie

There is that but Unsworth's been in the dressing room as a player so wouldn't be new to the ego's. If you look at several prem managers who didn't do much as players can still get the best out of theirs...

October 06, 2017, 12:10:54 AM
Reply #163

Realist

Liverpool has the famous boot room and many times promoted from within. Paisley, Fagan didn't manage outside the club before getting the job unless I'm mistaken. I appreciate football's changed alot since those days but if you come from within the club, you know it, have support from within it and if you played for the club, you've got the passion. Just thought I'd mention it.

I think it takes more than passion nowadays to succeed in the premiership

October 06, 2017, 12:29:44 AM
Reply #164

KoemansNumberTens

You're either missing the point or I didn't put it across well enough.

To clarify -

Of the managers that we were seriously linked to at that time - I wanted the only one who had won the Premier League (and recently).

I am fed up of 'triers' - I want a 'tried and tested'.

It should not be too much to ask with out current and immediate future prospects.

He's tried and tested with half a billion pounds worth of talent. I don't even understand how you think that would transfer to us