November 13, 2018, 04:43:23 AM

Author Topic: Ashley Williams  (Read 14559 times)

October 10, 2017, 11:33:03 PM
Read 14559 times

Evertonian in NC

Put Holgate next to Keane (or Jags when Keane needs a breather), leave him alone and let him learn.

Same with Kenny at RB until Coleman returns.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 11, 2017, 08:22:53 PM
Reply #1

Evertonian in NC

I actually feel a little for him. He hit his peak in his last season at Swansea and has been declining since. He's now playing under more pressure and it seems to have sent him backwards. He often looks embarrassed and tries to hide under his shirt as he knows he's letting himself and the team down but for some reason either his body or brain or both aren't up to it at the minute. He needs a spell out of the side to maybe refocus and come back in when the team is hopefully in a better place. 

I agree.  For one, he's being asked to do too much.  For twos, his failings have just been more obvious/easy to recognize on the teevee box, so he bears the brunt of Everton's collective failures.

I mean, it's surely not just on him.  Not to excuse his play entirely, but the last thing this group of PLAYERS merits is a scapegoat.  The bag of fault is deep and wide, my Transatlantic imaginary friends.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 11, 2017, 08:56:34 PM
Reply #2

Evertonian in NC

You get a certain madcap joy watching Funes Mori play, anyway.  As if Hunter S. Thompson were playing CB.

October 11, 2017, 11:16:02 PM
Reply #3

Evertonian in NC

But it's not anything that you'd consider secondary (playing the ball out or spraying crossfield balls for example) that he's doing pathetically,  it's bread and butter defending.

Leading the line (when Keane isn't available), playing too many matches.  It's trickling down into the basics, methinks.

He should be the 4th choice CB.  In that capacity, he'd probably still be ok.

October 20, 2017, 07:35:40 PM
Reply #4

Evertonian in NC

Yes he should've been by today's standards, but he wasn't. Just put yourself in his shoes for a moment. He's had a mare of a season, he's been criticised by his fan base on a regular basis and he's just played a part in costing his national team a chance to get to a WC. He knows how important this game is, he's become frustrated at the tactics of the opposition. Sometimes your head goes. I've done things like that on a rugby pitch in high pressure games. We're all human. We've asked for the players to show a bit of passion, they have. If Mo Besic or Gana had done it I'd support them too. Now let's see if there's a reaction against Arsenal

It was a "desperate times call for desperate measures" kind of action.  It was a REALLY big gamble, and had he been sent off, nobody could have complained.  But he didn't do anything that could have really injured anyone, or ruined somebody's livelihood.  I don't think it crosses those kind of lines.  He just did something desperate, to try to save this team, and inject life into the corpse.  Knowing he would be slated for it.