November 24, 2017, 01:47:34 PM

Author Topic: Ashley Williams  (Read 6608 times)

October 10, 2017, 11:08:59 PM
Reply #30

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Yeah he had a good tournament for Wales but most of them did didn’t they? It didn’t make him good enough for us and where we want to get to. It was terrible management to sell the most highly rated young English centrehalf in the league for a lot of money and replace him with a 31 year old who’s never been near the top of the game and always been part of porous defences. Especially as we already had a superior experienced defender here on the books. We should have looked for someone in their mid twenties reaching their peak who had the potential to make that step up here.

The general squad building probably deserves its own thread though but it does look like two influential people working at crossed purposes.

He's been good for Wales since he started, not just in the Euros. And @penguinofdoom1878 might be able to correct me but I don't know a single Swansea fan who was happy to see him leave. So you can slag him off for us all you like, but I know your actual knowledge of him over a long period of time is limited to a few appearances on Sky
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

deCoubertin

October 10, 2017, 11:13:49 PM
Reply #31

KoemansNumberTens

He was never good enough and made these sort of mistakes at Swansea they were just brushed over because it’s “only Swansea” and they’re not very good defensively(erm hello!!).

Some of our squad building over the last 18 months has been poor given the money we’ve been spending. Thats one thing Koeman or Walsh won’t be able to complain about if they get the sack soon as they’ve certainly been given enough backing.

Got to say I've very little faith in our first team building now. Not even so much the individuals (that's always hit and miss) more even forming a plan of action of realising what we do and don't need

October 10, 2017, 11:17:31 PM
Reply #32

Ross

He's been good for Wales since he started, not just in the Euros. And @penguinofdoom1878 might be able to correct me but I don't know a single Swansea fan who was happy to see him leave. So you can slag him off for us all you like, but I know your actual knowledge of him over a long period of time is limited to a few appearances on Sky

There’s a massive difference between being “good enough” for Swansea and “good enough” for Everton.

They’ve never had a season in the premier league we’re the didn’t conceded 50 goals or more, doesn’t say much for this great leader of their defence I’d suggest.

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

October 10, 2017, 11:27:28 PM
Reply #33

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
There’s a massive difference between being “good enough” for Swansea and “good enough” for Everton.

They’ve never had a season in the premier league we’re the didn’t conceded 50 goals or more, doesn’t say much for this great leader of their defence I’d suggest.

Nothing like a bit of inverted snobbery is there? So does the same apply to Pickford, Keane and anyone else we've signed from a 'lower' club? It should if you're being consistent, but then those two haven't been the mainstay of their national team for a number of years yet

October 10, 2017, 11:33:03 PM
Reply #34

Evertonian in NC

Put Holgate next to Keane (or Jags when Keane needs a breather), leave him alone and let him learn.

Same with Kenny at RB until Coleman returns.
"If you want a really scary thought, imagine how stupid the average American is.  Then realize...half of 'em are dumber than THAT." - George Carlin

October 10, 2017, 11:37:20 PM
Reply #35

Ross

Nothing like a bit of inverted snobbery is there? So does the same apply to Pickford, Keane and anyone else we've signed from a 'lower' club? It should if you're being consistent, but then those two haven't been the mainstay of their national team for a number of years yet

Of course not.

They’ve got higher potential and time on their sides to fulfil it that’s why both have been bought by a bigger club with higher expectations.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

October 10, 2017, 11:38:15 PM
Reply #36

BlueForYou

If you're good enough, you're old enough and Feeney is good enough - players get selected for internationals at 18

If 18 is too young in some people's eyes, then that is discrimination and they should know better - especially when complaining about racism

Everton fans have never moaned about youngsters, they have always been the most supportive towards them and always will be

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 10, 2017, 11:38:31 PM
Reply #37

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Part of the problem with Williams is he doesn't have the track record with us for people to feel as confident that he'll turn it around. Most people would be happy to have Jagielka back in but he's also had a bit of a mare in relatively recent times (especially that run of giving away something silly like 3 penalties in row), but he turned it around and because we've seen years of him performing well we're more confident that the bad form is the aberration rather than the good form.

October 10, 2017, 11:39:25 PM
Reply #38

SANA_DR0

Of course not.

They’ve got higher potential and time on their sides to fulfil it that’s why both have been bought by a bigger club with higher expectations.

and most likely will leave us for bigger clubs in the future.
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

October 10, 2017, 11:51:46 PM
Reply #39

74Blue

and most likely will leave us for bigger clubs in the future.
...and if they do attract the even bigger clubs, it will because they are performing well at Everton and if sold, it will be for a very tidy profit.

October 10, 2017, 11:55:20 PM
Reply #40

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
Of course not.

but that's not what you said. You said he wasn't good enough at Swansea or for Wales (which are both wrong). The fact he hasn't worked out is surprising and one we just have to accept. Ow and focus on replacing him in the January window

October 10, 2017, 11:55:35 PM
Reply #41

BlueBeagle

If you're good enough, you're old enough and Feeney is good enough - players get selected for internationals at 18

If 18 is too young in some people's eyes, then that is discrimination and they should know better - especially when complaining about racism

Are you actually being serious?

October 10, 2017, 11:56:55 PM
Reply #42

SANA_DR0

...and if they do attract the even bigger clubs, it will because they are performing well at Everton and if sold, it will be for a very tidy profit.

indeed thats what i was eluding too, unlike Williams who we bought when he was on the downhill... but it was in regards to Brownie20's post regarding Williams and snobbery... the big difference is, these players are younger and will improve as they get older, while when you buy a 30 + year old., its very unlikely they will peak with you or even get better.

just cos Distin did it, (who always took care of his fitness) unlike someone who looks like he should be a boxing trainer.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:06:14 AM by SANA_DR0 »
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

October 11, 2017, 12:02:34 AM
Reply #43

BlueForYou

Serious about what?
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 11, 2017, 12:06:07 AM
Reply #44

74Blue

indeed thats what i was eluding too, unlike Williams who we bought when he was on the downhill... but it was in regards to Brownie20's post regarding Williams and snobbery... the big difference is, these players are younger and will improve as they get older, while when you buy a 30 + year old., its very unlikely they will peak with you or even get better.

just cost Distin did it, (who always took care of his fitness) unlike someone who looks like he should be a boxing trainer.
I was actually reasonably happy when we signed Williams. At the time, it seemed like a decent signing. Centre halves do tend to peak a little later than other outfield players, so it was reasonable to assume that we were bringing in a player who would be right in his prime and we would get 3 years of him being solid at the back. We definitely got burned though and he looks fucking shot.