November 21, 2017, 10:29:09 AM

Author Topic: Ashley Williams  (Read 6424 times)

October 11, 2017, 12:09:47 AM
Reply #45

Coyb12

Yard dog.

deCoubertin

October 11, 2017, 12:10:58 AM
Reply #46

Ross

but that's not what you said. You said he wasn't good enough at Swansea or for Wales (which are both wrong). The fact he hasn't worked out is surprising and one we just have to accept. Ow and focus on replacing him in the January window

Iíve not said he wasnít good enough for Wales. He clearly is after playing 80 odd games, but when the likes of James Collins, Sam Ricketts or Danny Gabbidon are youíre main rivals itís no surprise.

Heís also plenty good enough for Swansea, as you said their fans hold him in high regard, itís about standards and what youíre used to. Ours are higher than thereís, itís that simple.
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

October 11, 2017, 12:15:38 AM
Reply #47

BlueForYou

A return to Swansea might suit - if Clement rates him
"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 11, 2017, 12:19:11 AM
Reply #48

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
indeed thats what i was eluding too, unlike Williams who we bought when he was on the downhill... but it was in regards to Brownie20's post regarding Williams and snobbery... the big difference is, these players are younger and will improve as they get older, while when you buy a 30 + year old., its very unlikely they will peak with you or even get better.

just cos Distin did it, (who always took care of his fitness) unlike someone who looks like he should be a boxing trainer.

I agree with the potential part but when someone says stuff like 'what's good enough for Swansea is not good enough for us' is the same thing we have criticised other fans for when talking about our players joining them. How many said the same about a crocked Peter Reid when he signed? Or Andy Gray? How many were fuming when we signed an aged Richard Gough? The point I'm trying to make is that clubs of all levels produce very good players who should not be written off simply because they play for XY or Z. No one could have predicted Williams' Form would deteriorate so rapidly since signing for us. When it was first mooted that Stones was going to be sold, many on here were happy to be linked with him. We signed him a year too late.
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

October 11, 2017, 12:21:00 AM
Reply #49

Paddockoldie

When we signed him I was quite hopeful he'd do well because he's more of a traditional centre half, but he's been shocking in some games and has cost us goals with him careless passing and mistakes. Need to replace and move on asap.

October 11, 2017, 12:28:25 AM
Reply #50

SANA_DR0

I agree with the potential part but when someone says stuff like 'what's good enough for Swansea is not good enough for us' is the same thing we have criticised other fans for when talking about our players joining them. How many said the same about a crocked Peter Reid when he signed? Or Andy Gray? How many were fuming when we signed an aged Richard Gough? The point I'm trying to make is that clubs of all levels produce very good players who should not be written off simply because they play for XY or Z. No one could have predicted Williams' Form would deteriorate so rapidly since signing for us. When it was first mooted that Stones was going to be sold, many on here were happy to be linked with him. We signed him a year too late.

I agree on the first part,  but selling Stones with Williams being the main defender we bought in, was pretty bad for the team.. We offered 50 million for that Napoli defender (so Moshiri stated) but Mosh didnt want to pay the asking price of 60m.
We shouldnt have relied on solely Williams being the main CB we bought in that season, I think he;s a decent squad player, but he shouldnt have been bought in playing every match.
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

October 11, 2017, 12:30:07 AM
Reply #51

Brownie20

NSNO Subscriber
I agree on the first part,  but selling Stones with Williams being the main defender we bought in, was pretty bad for the team.. We offered 50 million for that Napoli defender (so Moshiri stated) but Mosh didnt want to pay the asking price of 60m.
We shouldnt have relied on solely Williams being the main CB we bought in that season, I think he;s a decent squad player, but he shouldnt have been bought in playing every match.

Last season, definitely. But I'm on about when he was linked to Chelsea
[lightbox=image_url|title|group|float][/lightbox]  :cheers:

October 11, 2017, 12:34:54 AM
Reply #52

BlueBeagle

Serious about what?

1) How the fuck can you possibly know that an 18 year old kid that has never played a single minute, not one minute, of senior football is ready to play against the likes of Kane, Morata, Lukaku etc?

2) People don't think he's ready because they are discriminating against him due to his age?

3) That racism is in any way comparable with this topic?

October 11, 2017, 12:37:02 AM
Reply #53

BlueForYou

Martinez wanted him at Everton, a player that he signed when manager of Swansea

Williams has come through the ranks - non-league, lower divisions, etc - and probably reached his zenith at the 2016 Euro competition

"We don't need a badge - everybody knows those blue and white shirts..............Everton"

Harry Catterick

October 11, 2017, 12:44:45 AM
Reply #54

BlueForYou

How do you find out if an 18 year old is good/not good enough to play in the Premiership?

If you don't play them at 18 just because of their age, ie, they are good enough - that is discrimination

Racism was mentioned on another topic and like age, sex, religion and disability, is a protected characteristic

Harry Catterick

October 11, 2017, 12:51:43 AM
Reply #55

gizzblue

Ffs what happened to us blooding 16 year olds .. now we have some moaning about 18 year olds ...especially when the alternative is fucking Williams .

October 11, 2017, 01:01:51 AM
Reply #56

Rhys

How do you find out if an 18 year old is good/not good enough to play in the Premiership?

If you don't play them at 18 just because of their age, ie, they are good enough - that is discrimination

Racism was mentioned on another topic and like age, sex, religion and disability, is a protected characteristic

We don't as fans know or find out because we don't see them for hours every day on the training field. I've no idea if he is good enough or not, but there will be plenty of people watching him and the others every day who see what he is good at, what he isn't, what areas he can develop and also what his attitude is like, what personality is and how someone him or any other youngster might cope physically and mentally with playing top level football at a young age.

There is a huge amount to consider about when a player is ready to play top level football. And that's before the fact that centre half outside of keeper is probably the hardest position for a young player to come in because you can't bring them off the bench to ease them in, and the mistakes that get made costs games so it's harsh for them to come into and it's hard for managers when jobs are on the line to do it.

Stones was an anomaly to be as good as he was at 19, despite how people's views seemed to drop on him later in his time with us he was and still is a world class talent in that position. It's easy for us as fans to just say play a young player because if they play badly, affects them mentally, loses us games, hinders their chance of a successful career because they aren't ready there is nothing on the line for us making that call but there is for the manager, player and staff but they have the best view because of working with them over a long period of time.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:02:52 AM by Rhys »

October 11, 2017, 01:02:47 AM
Reply #57

Tofifee

This just in....

Ashley Williams is fukin uselss!

October 11, 2017, 01:22:20 AM
Reply #58

SANA_DR0

Racism has also been mentioned in the new today, to do with socio economics and football in general.

but all isms are fucked... especially if you follow/believe in those isms.
The only real things in this reality are how perspective is perceived and eventual death...

& Unsworth kicking ass.

October 11, 2017, 01:28:40 AM
Reply #59

Martip

When we signed him I was chuffed having just watched him smashing it for Wales....can see why koeman went for him as he was the polar opposite of what everyone including me was moaning about after numerous john stones errors.

However the fact remains he has been shite and a waste of money so we need to move on and as harsh as it sounds demote him to boot cleaner. The days of acceptance are gone and we need players who are up to the task.