November 21, 2017, 12:43:13 PM

Author Topic: Ashley Williams  (Read 6434 times)

October 11, 2017, 01:34:13 AM
Reply #60

Tofifee

We should have hung onto Shane Duffy
Collossus last night

deCoubertin

October 11, 2017, 01:35:15 AM
Reply #61

blue1948

We don't as fans know or find out because we don't see them for hours every day on the training field. I've no idea if he is good enough or not, but there will be plenty of people watching him and the others every day who see what he is good at, what he isn't, what areas he can develop and also what his attitude is like, what personality is and how someone him or any other youngster might cope physically and mentally with playing top level football at a young age.

There is a huge amount to consider about when a player is ready to play top level football. And that's before the fact that centre half outside of keeper is probably the hardest position for a young player to come in because you can't bring them off the bench to ease them in, and the mistakes that get made costs games so it's harsh for them to come into and it's hard for managers when jobs are on the line to do it.

Stones was an anomaly to be as good as he was at 19, despite how people's views seemed to drop on him later in his time with us he was and still is a world class talent in that position. It's easy for us as fans to just say play a young player because if they play badly, affects them mentally, loses us games, hinders their chance of a successful career because they aren't ready there is nothing on the line for us making that call but there is for the manager, player and staff but they have the best view because of working with them over a long period of time.
Typical of your posts you are stating the obvious ,sorry ,not so obvious is the fact that lots of players start their first team careers at 16/17 ,just lower down in the leagues .Tom Davies is barely older than him but that is fine -If he is good enough he is old enough -the only way to find out is to play him .The comment about the training ground giving the management all they need to know is wrong ,no one can be sure until they have to do it on the pitch .

October 11, 2017, 01:35:57 AM
Reply #62

D15TIN

We should have hung onto Shane Duffy
Collossus last night

Easily said that now though isn't it?? Never particulary shone at Everton

October 11, 2017, 02:25:02 AM
Reply #63

penguinofdoom1878

He's been good for Wales since he started, not just in the Euros. And @penguinofdoom1878 might be able to correct me but I don't know a single Swansea fan who was happy to see him leave. So you can slag him off for us all you like, but I know your actual knowledge of him over a long period of time is limited to a few appearances on Sky

Nope they were gutted he left, even more so when the money they received for him wasn't reinvested in the experienced defender they were losing. However they wouldn't have him back now especially as Alfie Mawson is looking a very good defender for his young age and low fee, friend of mine was only saying today how Mawson is probably the only real sell able asset they have in the side.

I think we should have signed him 5/6 years ago though, he's not been brilliant but certainly not the disaster he's made out to be. Does look like he's aged 5 years during the off season.

October 11, 2017, 04:11:25 AM
Reply #64

Rhys

Typical of your posts you are stating the obvious ,sorry ,not so obvious is the fact that lots of players start their first team careers at 16/17 ,just lower down in the leagues .Tom Davies is barely older than him but that is fine -If he is good enough he is old enough -the only way to find out is to play him .The comment about the training ground giving the management all they need to know is wrong ,no one can be sure until they have to do it on the pitch .

But thats a myth that you dont know what they can do until they play, we dont know because thats where we get to see them. If we could see them in training every day we would have a much better idea of if a young player was ready and I'm sure there are plenty of the u23 squad we could look at and say that player isnt good enough/ready to play for the first team without them getting first team minutes. There is a massive clamour for Lookman to play, if we saw him train and not look ready there might be more of a feeling that he isnt good enough yet. (theoretical if that is the reason why he isnt playing of course..) And that is before you look at what they are doing in u23 games themselves.

There is an element of you dont know for sure and people might surprise you when they get picked, as I'm sure Davies surprised Koeman when he got his chance last year. But you are implying the only way of knowing if a young player is ready is by playing them, which is wrong.

Also how many players play in the premier league 16/17? It is very rare that players get played at that age because they need to physically able to cope as much as anything. Plus the point about Davies as I said it is easier for managers to use young players in midfield or attack than it is at centre half as shown by Davies coming off the bench a fair bit before getting the regular spot he did last season. At centre half you dont get those opportunities to get some minutes, impress and eventually get a chance to start some games.

And the point about plenty of 16-17 in the lower leagues, probably easier to loan him out and get some league experience rather than just throw him into the premier league in a tough position. You see people like Galloway who is of a decent level gets loaned out to the championship rather than stick him and see how he does here.

October 11, 2017, 06:01:29 AM
Reply #65

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
He looks a broken man to me

Same.

Yes it was his mistake last night, but the real tragedy was how fucking flat footed and ponderous he was when he eventually tried to make up for it when it broke. The other Welsh player threw his hands up like what the fuck and only then did Williams try and get a move on, by which time the lad had about 3 or 4 yards on him.

Really not how I think of him over the last like 10 years, looks totally shattered.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 11, 2017, 06:09:25 AM
Reply #66

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Apparently Foulds isn't going to make it with us.

I'd have hopes for that Lewis Gibson but no idea what sort of player he is.

When I've watched feeney he really impressed at that level but the idea of throwing him to the wolves when we have jags back fit and Holgate knocking about the squad doesn't really make any sense to me.

Throw him in he might be ready sounds a bit like dreamland count chocula stuff as well.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

October 11, 2017, 08:24:05 AM
Reply #67

Jamokachi

A couple more shouts about his weight in this thread, utterly ridiculous. He may be out of form, but he's not out of shape.

October 11, 2017, 04:43:46 PM
Reply #68

everton1952

The goalkeeper was at fault for the Ireland goal, not Williams.  A stupid throw out handed the initiative to the Irish and they took full advantage. Having said that, Williams is not good enough for us that is for certain.  Koeman must replace him in the transfer window.

October 11, 2017, 04:51:58 PM
Reply #69

Ramjam

The goalkeeper was at fault for the Ireland goal, not Williams.  A stupid throw out handed the initiative to the Irish and they took full advantage. Having said that, Williams is not good enough for us that is for certain.  Koeman must replace him in the transfer window.

Koeman won’t be here in January to replace anyone
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

October 11, 2017, 04:56:59 PM
Reply #70

everton1952

My crystal ball may be a bit older than yours and I can't see much beyond lunch time today. Can you see in yours who his replacement will be?

October 11, 2017, 05:00:23 PM
Reply #71

Ramjam

My crystal ball may be a bit older than yours and I can't see much beyond lunch time today. Can you see in yours who his replacement will be?

Wish I could to be honest but the options are scarce, my gut feeling is Unsey until the end of the season and possibly beyond that depending on results and performances
WE ARE THE PEOPLE

October 11, 2017, 05:01:34 PM
Reply #72

Ramjam

WE ARE THE PEOPLE

October 11, 2017, 05:07:54 PM
Reply #73

everton1952

Hang on.. mine is getting a bit clearer. I can't see the manager's face clearly but whoever it is keeps repeating "Well OK" in a foreign accent.

October 11, 2017, 05:11:34 PM
Reply #74

Lxxx

I actually feel a little for him. He hit his peak in his last season at Swansea and has been declining since. He's now playing under more pressure and it seems to have sent him backwards. He often looks embarrassed and tries to hide under his shirt as he knows he's letting himself and the team down but for some reason either his body or brain or both aren't up to it at the minute. He needs a spell out of the side to maybe refocus and come back in when the team is hopefully in a better place.