October 17, 2018, 10:38:06 AM

Author Topic: Age Profile of the Everton Squad  (Read 2786 times)

October 13, 2017, 11:50:39 PM
Read 2786 times

Lxxx

I'm probably more excited about the future of the squad than I have been at any stage during my life supporting us to be honest.

The issue as I see it is we have too few players at their peak and the ones who are there are underachieving. The rest are either past their best or still learning their trade. The only players at their peak are Schneiderlin and Sig and both are playing way below what is expected of them. We're only about three signings away from having a pretty good squad in my opinion. Once we buy a new centre half, left back and centre forward, all at a good age with pace and athleticism, then squad in my mind will look pretty well balanced age-wise.

I'm less worried about the future than I am about the present.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 11:54:24 PM by Lxxx »

October 14, 2017, 04:54:18 AM
Reply #1

Lxxx

Gueye is 28, so should probably add him in too.

Bolasie and Coleman are probably the only others you could potentially put in that category.

I didnít think Gueye was that old to be honest.

I didnít include those two as we arguably donít know what player might return after two pretty serious injuries.

October 15, 2017, 10:09:58 PM
Reply #2

Lxxx

There's another big rebuilding job to do on that squad. Which seems bonkers to say after two years of it but it's true. On the way out are Jags, Williams, Baines, Mirallas, Barkley, McCarthy, Lennon, Robles and Rooney/Besic just aren't up to it. To be getting rid of another full team's worth of players and signing another double figures worth show's the poor state of the squad. Years and years of poor planning have left us unbalanced and short of quality in key areas. 

October 16, 2017, 12:06:59 AM
Reply #3

Lxxx

When have we had a better squad?

Donít get the question you are asking.

October 16, 2017, 12:59:25 AM
Reply #4

Lxxx

Most of those players would have been important first team players, they are good enough to be playing in PL, let alone as squad players for us. In terms of transfers as an ambitious club, you never really replace reserves, you buy starters and there is a domino effect behind or youngsters to overtake them.

But it's not that our squad has been stretched bare, we still have many players who have hardly featured despite number of games.

They aren't. Williams, Baines, Jags, Rooney and Lennon are well past their best. Robles and Besic aren't good enough and their is an argument for Mirallas being added to that as well. Barkley wants to leave and we haven't really seen McCarthy for the past few years as he's a perma-crock. You could make a valid case for replacing the vast majority of them and we will have to sooner rather than later.

Luckily we have a really talented group of youngsters who will hopefully help offset that transition.

October 16, 2017, 03:15:19 AM
Reply #5

Lxxx

Williams and Jags are still decent defenders, Keane's leading defence now and often dropping us deep or getting caught for pace.

Baines has hardly taken a set piece in that time, he's still our best full back and one of the best in the league.

But as previously they are not the reason we create so little going forward or playing so shit.

I think youíve created your own argument with yourself.

I was stating that after three transfer windows we still have a decent sized rebuilding job to do on the squad. Itís unbalanced and lacking in key areas.
Yes Koeman isnít utilising what he has very well but itís still carrying a lot of players you would otherwise want replacing.

October 16, 2017, 02:02:36 PM
Reply #6

Lxxx

You do realise we will replace the ones we let go donít you. Youíre talking as if weíll lose about a dozen and weíll suddenly lose our strength in depth.

We are badly lacking in width but have two wide players in Lennon and Mirallas who we don't use who are earning over £100k/week between them. We could let them go and bring in one player who is of sufficient quality to be of better use to the first team.

We have two defensive midfielders in McCarthy and Besic who are neither use nor ornament as one is never fit and the other isnít good enough. Again there is over £20m in those two to put towards a better quality of midfielder.

Barkley doesnít want to be here so we move him on and recoup what we can and put the money towards a striker.

To say nothing of the ageing defenders.

The point is there is a fair bit of player trading still to be done to remodel the squad to make it fit for purpose. We might let 8-9 go and bring in 4-5 of better quality before we get a better balance to the squad.