September 24, 2018, 02:13:22 PM

Author Topic: Silva’s Playbook  (Read 13404 times)

Gash (+ 1 Hidden) and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

September 19, 2018, 07:16:59 PM
Reply #390

Bluenose 91

Arsenal game should be a decent chance to go more solid, and try to play on the break.

Yeah I'd hope so.

It's possible to play tighter whilst still aiming to come away with a win.

September 19, 2018, 09:09:00 PM
Reply #391

Lxxx

I think he’s just guilty of being a little naive so far. He’s tried to play the way he’d like to (and the way Evertonians like to see us play) and he’s been caught out trying to do it mainly with players who can’t deliver it.

I think he needs to play the cards he’s been dealt a little more and wait until he gets a full set before going ahead with what I presume is his preferred plan.

September 19, 2018, 09:30:38 PM
Reply #392

Dr. Sponge

I'd argue that Gueye works his bollocks off for the full 90 closing the gaps, putting pressure on the ball carrier and winning it back for us while Schniderlin strolls around not bothering to track back and shows a lack of conviction in his general play.

OK, but if we play with one defensive midfielder he needs to hold his position, and Gueye doesn’t do that. Forget about everything else, their midfielder would get a free run at our defence all game.

September 19, 2018, 09:38:58 PM
Reply #393

Gash

Global Moderator
He didn’t last in the immediate previous season, and yet it’s a mad shout that may not last this.

Wouldn’t have been a mad shout if I’d said it before a ball had been kicked to be honest.

What is the average life span of a mid table prem manager these days? 1.5 seasons maybe?

Chances are he'd still be there if we hadn't gone after him or at least seen the season out but Watford aren't exactly reknowned for sticking by their managers anyway.

But your not basing it on the average Premier League manager's life span, you're basing it on a couple of poor performances with 10-12 players currently not available for one reason or another.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:40:56 PM by Gash »

September 19, 2018, 09:50:02 PM
Reply #394

TheTone

I think he’s just guilty of being a little naive so far. He’s tried to play the way he’d like to (and the way Evertonians like to see us play) and he’s been caught out trying to do it mainly with players who can’t deliver it.

I think he needs to play the cards he’s been dealt a little more and wait until he gets a full set before going ahead with what I presume is his preferred plan.

still a few jokers amongst the pack like

September 19, 2018, 10:01:23 PM
Reply #395

Mac934

You mean like Sam did. He even said it himself. He played to what he had available. Not saying I wanted him, but he did what he had to. You can't soar like an eagle when your stuck with turkeys.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 10:02:33 PM by Mac934 »
Opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one!

September 19, 2018, 10:11:36 PM
Reply #396

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Chances are he'd still be there if we hadn't gone after him or at least seen the season out but Watford aren't exactly reknowned for sticking by their managers anyway.

But your not basing it on the average Premier League manager's life span, you're basing it on a couple of poor performances with 10-12 players currently not available for one reason or another.

What’s the difference exactly? For one reason or another, managers don’t last in this league very long and Marco is a good example of that. It’s not mad to suggest almost any manager not last the season.

Yes, the fact he was handed a very easy start to the season and we’ve blubbed it make it more likely.

Yes, the fact existing complaints about his management style - concedes a lot, doesn’t keep clean sheets, cut open on the break a lot, xg/xgc balance not great, poor at organising defence against set pieces, lots of red cards, is quite a big ‘gambler’ in terms of pushing men forward regardless of in game context - have already been present make it clearer he’s not the magic answer to our problems also make it more likely to happen.

Yes, losing games at home make it more likely also. Particularly with a score like 3-1, even more so when it’s against pointless bottom of the league West Ham.

I want him to succeed, but no frankly I wouldn’t be surprised if he doesn’t. None of the other 4 or so since Moyes have, have they.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 19, 2018, 10:40:37 PM
Reply #397

Ell Capitan

NSNO Subscriber
Don’t think I have seen or heard of anyone anywhere suggesting Silva will not see the season out.

Hardly beyond the realms of possibility, given his track record.

September 19, 2018, 11:08:27 PM
Reply #398

D15TIN

This is what ive thought so far

September 20, 2018, 01:23:24 AM
Reply #399

Escla

NSNO Subscriber
Hardly beyond the realms of possibility, given his track record.
Who said it wasn’t ?

7 hours ago
Reply #400

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
I actually feel more positive after that than I did after West Ham. Find it odd to see people reacting quite badly to the loss as though it wasn’t always coming - there is a bigger gulf in class on the pitch between us and the top six than there has been for quite some time.

Hoping for a win today was realistically just hoping for a bit of a miracle like arsenal have a bad day or we take all our chances and bury everything etc.

We looked positive and most of the players can be relatively pleased with how they played.

It was a bit like Joshua Povetkin actually. We worked hard and game then problems, but when they did step up a gear they cut through us, and it ended up a bit of a regulation win for them to be honest, but that’s just down to the difference in quality and we are some way off addressing that (2, 3 windows?).

Edit: just realised I didn’t really make my point - the game plan was OK. A little bit of a shootout (go toe to toe and either luck or quality prevails) and when we do that against Liverpool we unfortunately are going to get absolutely mullered...but fuck it I don’t mind that tactic too much because you might get a result with the right luck, and you can (in theory) eventually solve the quality problem to give yourself more and more chance to win those games.

If you lose because you set up terribly or you don’t have a plan then that would be a problem. Not saying it doesn’t tell us something about silva but imo I’ve got a bit of credit on the bank for results like that.

West Ham at home, not so much.
« Last Edit: 7 hours ago by brap2 »
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

6 hours ago
Reply #401

bluenuck

I actually feel more positive after that than I did after West Ham. Find it odd to see people reacting quite badly to the loss as though it wasn’t always coming - there is a bigger gulf in class on the pitch between us and the top six than there has been for quite some time.

Hoping for a win today was realistically just hoping for a bit of a miracle like arsenal have a bad day or we take all our chances and bury everything etc.

We looked positive and most of the players can be relatively pleased with how they played.

It was a bit like Joshua Povetkin actually. We worked hard and game then problems, but when they did step up a gear they cut through us, and it ended up a bit of a regulation win for them to be honest, but that’s just down to the difference in quality and we are some way off addressing that (2, 3 windows?).

Edit: just realised I didn’t really make my point - the game plan was OK. A little bit of a shootout (go toe to toe and either luck or quality prevails) and when we do that against Liverpool we unfortunately are going to get absolutely mullered...but fuck it I don’t mind that tactic too much because you might get a result with the right luck, and you can (in theory) eventually solve the quality problem to give yourself more and more chance to win those games.

If you lose because you set up terribly or you don’t have a plan then that would be a problem. Not saying it doesn’t tell us something about silva but imo I’ve got a bit of credit on the bank for results like that.

West Ham at home, not so much.

Why do i get the feeling after Fulham next weekend it's going to feel like West Ham last weekend??

Some glaring weakness will rear it's ugly head in pretty much every game. We're just not very good.

36 minutes ago
Reply #402

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Why do i get the feeling after Fulham next weekend it's going to feel like West Ham last weekend??

Some glaring weakness will rear it's ugly head in pretty much every game. We're just not very good.

Fulham unlikely to come and park the bus to be fair - they seem to try and turn up and play regardless of opposition which means Richarlison and the lads will have a bit of space, which is where we look dangerous.

What would be really worrying is if at home against them they pass us off the park and we allow Seri to run the game.

No doubt about it if we struggle against Fulham the pressure will be on Marco unfortunately, but in my opinion we should be able to deal with them.