November 20, 2017, 07:43:51 PM

Author Topic: DCL - kidding ourselves  (Read 5833 times)

October 21, 2017, 06:59:16 PM
Reply #105

KoemansNumberTens

He does deserve more room than the out and out criticism that he's getting here. My post is a general post pointing this out. Not a post aimed at anyone in particular. The whole issue speaks for itself.

Of course he does he's young and not ready. I actually don't have much of a problem with any of them personally. Not being talented enough isn't a reason to dislike them. I have more of an issue with someone who doesn't try hard enough and I wouldn't level that at any of them
I do think people are making out his performances have been something they haven't. I do think there's a list of players who get blamed for being shit and then on top blamed for others being shit too. Personally at least this season they've all been shit together.

If we had to vote for player of the year now...... Pickford for being okay/ the rest wouldn't be worth a vote between them

deCoubertin

October 21, 2017, 07:13:46 PM
Reply #106

Bob Sacamano

NSNO Subscriber
Lads, stop with the shit straw man arguments.

No one expects him to be Lukaku, no one thinks he's as good as Harry Kane.

Painful to read this.

I canít see any way around this other than @Simon Paul deleting the entire forum.

October 21, 2017, 10:10:32 PM
Reply #107

Ridge

Is this the Lukaku effect? Lukaku was shit, but at least he got goals type thing.

I don't get complaints about DCL finishing, he's been taking shots well and has been unlucky to not score off a limited number of chances.

But he looks calm, composed in front of goal, and when the goals and confidence comes, he'll be one of our best players. His inteliigence of movement compared to Niasse, Sandro, is day and night.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 10:32:19 PM by Ridge »

October 21, 2017, 10:40:44 PM
Reply #108

KoemansNumberTens

Is this the Lukaku effect? Lukaku was shit, but at least he got goals type thing.

I don't get complaints about DCL finishing, he's been taking shots well and has been unlucky to not score off a limited number of chances.

But he looks calm, composed in front of goal, and when the goals and confidence comes, he'll be one of our best players. His inteliigence of movement compared to Niasse, Sandro, is day and night.

Sandro did score 16 goals in la liga.

October 21, 2017, 10:51:40 PM
Reply #109

Ridge

Sandro did score 16 goals in la liga.

5 of those were free kicks, the rest he tended to use his pace to find space or opening, or he wellied it from around the box.

October 21, 2017, 11:04:52 PM
Reply #110

Ridge

DCL is far more aware of what's going on around him, and who's where. He almost a target man, he has pace, but he's operating as part of the team in a way that others only tend to do indirectly.

Niasse is direct and relentless a bit like Vardy, in terms of lots of graft and not many touches. A look through this season, he's pretty much the only player who is winning possession back in opponents half. But he's a head down and run type player and if someone comes into view, he'll see them.

With Sandro, I think it's about finding ways to utilise his pace. Defence splitting passes and using his pace to create space for others. He has a great touch and a superb technique for shooting, but he doesn't have a lot of time on the ball or retain possession in tight spaces.

DCL offers us the chance to build more well rounded attacks, as he can link up and chances created are more design than luck.

October 22, 2017, 12:11:28 AM
Reply #111

Ross

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

October 22, 2017, 12:17:11 AM
Reply #112

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
I wonder why DCL and Sandro haven't been tried much together since every other combination of players has been tried. Could imagine them complementing her

October 22, 2017, 12:26:31 AM
Reply #113

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber

DCL has scored 1 goal in almost 20 appearances. That isnít a statistic that brings confidence. It doesnít mean you write him off, but you donít build your attack around it either.

Lukaku wasnít shit.

October 22, 2017, 12:28:37 AM
Reply #114

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
How many goals do you think heíd get if he was used about the same amount over the course of the rest of the season?

I canít imagine anyone would say double figures.

Would anyone be confident saying more than 5?

October 22, 2017, 12:31:30 AM
Reply #115

gizzblue

DCL has scored 1 goal in almost 20 appearances. That isn't a statistic that brings confidence. It doesn't mean you write him off, but you don't build your attack around it either.

Lukaku wasn't shit.
Well we cant build it round Rooney ..he goes awol all over the pitch  ,Sandro is a worse shout than DCL as he does most his best off the right wing ,who do you suggest Niasse ?.

Not being a twat just curious .

October 22, 2017, 12:32:02 AM
Reply #116

Ross

DCL has scored 1 goal in almost 20 appearances. That isnít a statistic that brings confidence. It doesnít mean you write him off, but you donít build your attack around it either.

Lukaku wasnít shit.

But weíre not building our attack round him are we, given heís played about 5 times as a centre forward and the rest out wide, either side, or wingback. 
There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

October 22, 2017, 12:44:24 AM
Reply #117

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
But weíre not building our attack round him are we, given heís played about 5 times as a centre forward and the rest out wide, either side, or wingback. 

Build the attack around him, or even have him as a regular starter, whatever the barometer my point is his stats donít back up having him anywhere near a regular starting berth of a side that is meant too have European ambitions. I feel I have to caveat this every time, that doesnít mean youíre writing him off but how anyone can really argue heís ready to be a starter based on 1 goal and 2 assists over the course of half a season of appearances is just bizarre.

October 22, 2017, 12:46:19 AM
Reply #118

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
Build the attack around him, or even have him as a regular starter, whatever the barometer my point is his stats donít back up having him anywhere near a regular starting berth of a side that is meant too have European ambitions. I feel I have to caveat this every time, that doesnít mean youíre writing him off but how anyone can really argue heís ready to be a starter based on 1 goal and 2 assists over the course of half a season of appearances is just bizarre.

I think most would agree he shouldn't be starting near as much as he has but there's only Rooney who has looked capable of a goal so it's understandable why he has. It's no indictment of Calvert Lewin that he isn't doing much right now, it's a massive indictment of club and manager but I think we are agreeing on that.

October 22, 2017, 12:50:30 AM
Reply #119

Ridge

Lukaku wasnít shit.

That scoring record was mainly from playing out wide, and very few youngsters score prolifically from the off, you need the goals to build the confidence, not just personally, but in the players around. More others play with him, better supply will get and if DCL starts getting goals, players will look for him and trust him to finish.

Yeah, Lukaku wasn't shit, my point was the people who had a low opinion of him, are probably now baffled how we got worse.