December 14, 2018, 05:38:18 AM

Author Topic: DCL - kidding ourselves  (Read 34087 times)

October 20, 2017, 06:22:46 AM
Read 34087 times

Major Clanger

He's got 1 league goal. I don't see how anyone can confidently predict he's going to be a decent top flight player. Not saying he isn't but the performances haven't been good

Can you remind us all how many goals have we scored in total? Yes, exactly.

He's not the natural finisher Lukaku was at his age, but he's got a far better first touch than Lukaku will ever have, he's got a decent turn of pace and is always looking to isolate and beat defenders.

What he isn't good enough for is to be the lone striker/target man/battering ram/winger/universal outball in a dysfunctional team. But then not many players are.

He needs to work on his heading (he's good at flicking on long balls forward but not good at heading on goal) and his upper body strength. And he shouldn't be played all game every game at his age, but that shouldn't even need saying.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:25:23 AM by Major Clanger »
I didn't even remember I had a signature.

October 20, 2017, 09:50:34 PM
Reply #1

Major Clanger

Plenty of strikers have been miles ahead of him aged 20.

And plenty great strikers were way behind too.

October 20, 2017, 10:14:13 PM
Reply #2

Major Clanger

For sure. I'm just pointing it out. Feels a bit from some on here that it's unacceptable to raise the possibility that DCL might not turn out to be all that good. Fact is his profile is high as he's had an unexpected, rapid progression to the first team and scored an important goal for England under 20s, but in terms of what we're actually seeing on the pitch it's nothing (in my opinion) to get excited about... and that very well may change and I hope it does. But right now the mere fact that he's playing and doing *some* things to a competent standard is not in of itself a reason to get excited. If he was doing what players like Lukaku, Owen, Rashford, Barmby, Anelka, Rooney were doing when they were 20, then yeah let's get excited. But he's not.

I I refer you to the opening post of this thread.

October 20, 2017, 10:24:26 PM
Reply #3

Major Clanger

Well yes that was idiotic but there's a spectrum of opinions between that and what the "he can do no wrong" brigade are saying.

I don't think there is a single member of this hypothetical "he can do no wrong" brigade you're mentioning. I certainly haven't seen anyone on this forum saying it.

October 20, 2017, 10:39:06 PM
Reply #4

Major Clanger

I can't remember who it was but 1 person implied he was the best young player in the world.

That's still a very thin brigade :)

October 23, 2017, 04:40:07 AM
Reply #5

Major Clanger

Good players are normally good players at every level as they come up.

Yes, they score in the World Cup finals of their age group for example.

October 23, 2017, 04:46:27 AM
Reply #6

Major Clanger

If youíre good enough youíre old enough, heís not premiership standard
Sorry if all the sensitive forumers donít like my views

Nah, we just think you're either a genuine idiot or a troll. Either way you're not NSNO standard. Sorry if that hurts your feelings.

October 23, 2017, 04:51:04 AM
Reply #7

Major Clanger

Isn't the reality that you only play for the under20s cos you're not good enough for the under 21s. Look we go round and round in circles with all this. I see a player who's future lies in the championship and most see someone who will score between 15-25 goals in the top flight and be a great player. I hope I'm wrong. Only time will tell

Literally nobody is saying that. You've just built yourself a straw man and you're busy bashing it.

October 23, 2017, 04:53:16 AM
Reply #8

Major Clanger

He's sitting on the £1300 he won betting big against the club he supposedly supports, doubt he cares much

Oh, I'm sure he does. He wouldn't keep coming back and attempt some sock puppeting if he didn't.

October 23, 2017, 04:55:01 AM
Reply #9

Major Clanger

Literally someone said that exact line. So literally it's been said I think today. Lots and lots of people say he's going to be a great player.

Okay, I'm sure you can quote that post then. And of course all the others, since you're talking about lots and lots of people.

October 23, 2017, 05:07:02 AM
Reply #10

Major Clanger

I concede perhaps I'm wrong and people are calling me a moron cos I suggest a striker with 1 goal in 20 games might not turn out very good.

No, people are calling you a moron because you stubbornly refuse to acknowledge anything apart from that one thing. Like the fact that for most of those games he was playing out wide. Or that for most games his job is basically chasing down lost causes and wild hoofs.

In other words, you're fixated on it.

October 23, 2017, 05:15:17 AM
Reply #11

Major Clanger

Anyone else see his touch in the first half when he plucked pickfords kick from the sky?

The lads got it.

Exactly. He's got a good touch, good movement, good pace and is a decent finisher (though that last bit you rarely see, given that we hardly ever create any chances nowadays).

He's lacking in some areas and he clearly isn't good enough to single-handedly win games for us. But he's more than good enough to be in the squad and given playing time.

October 23, 2017, 05:17:07 AM
Reply #12

Major Clanger

Christ people werent any more upset by someone's suggestion that koeman should kill himself

October 23, 2017, 05:21:42 AM
Reply #13

Major Clanger

Let it go it's over. Fuck me literally all I said was I didn't think he was very good. Baffled as to why you'd even care.

Because you care enough to post it. Over and over again. So clearly this is something of utmost importance to you. And therefore I think it would be rude to just ignore something that you're clearly so passionate about.