September 18, 2019, 12:38:26 PM

Author Topic: DCL - kidding ourselves  (Read 43053 times)

September 30, 2018, 05:40:04 PM
Reply #630

eyesalwaysblue

Don't think there was anything wrong with giving him a try up top but it dosen't suit and injuries apart he looks likely to start less and less, nice lad though.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

September 30, 2018, 05:55:17 PM
Reply #631

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
What about for the pen
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 30, 2018, 06:04:14 PM
Reply #632

Lxxx

Tosun ha to be back in after his goal. Hopefully that'll pick his chin up as he was looking a bit despondent at times this season.

In the past I've been all about giving DCL time to improve and a run of games. I'm not too enthused about that anymore. He's handy to have around and he will improve, but probably not to the level we need. Tosun all day until we get an improvement in, he just offers a better all round game, if a little too lateral in his movement.

September 30, 2018, 06:14:46 PM
Reply #633

TheRam

NSNO Subscriber
Thing is, his general play has been poor.

Iím not too bothered about the goalscoring, weíve got goals all across the midfield and DCL is never going to be prolific, but itís his general play thatís made me want him in for Tosun who started to struggle.

Heís been awful the last two games, no getting away from that. Hasnít even held the ball up well.

Hey there mister can you tell me what happened to the seeds I've sown
Can you give me a reason sir as to why they've never grown

September 30, 2018, 06:33:57 PM
Reply #634

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Think you would probably have to say tosun starts the next game. Strikes me as a purple patch player too, you can see what that goal meant to him. Probably come out next week with a rocket up his backside taking shots from all over the gaff.

Iíll have to just take my L on Dom and wait it out.
I knew that someday I was going to die, and I knew that before I died, two things would happen to me. That number one; I would regret my entire life, and number two; that I would want to live my life over again.

September 30, 2018, 09:26:14 PM
Reply #635

Martip

Think you would probably have to say tosun starts the next game. Strikes me as a purple patch player too, you can see what that goal meant to him. Probably come out next week with a rocket up his backside taking shots from all over the gaff.

Iíll have to just take my L on Dom and wait it out.
Cenk has to start for me in the next few games as it's simply not worked out the last couple.

Despite that fact, I am pleased he was pulled in a way as a kick up the backside and you could see the passion in him when he came on.

For many years players have had it too easy and never really had to fight for their places but now we have a bit of competition all over the place meaning people will need to perform or be pulled.

September 30, 2018, 09:34:47 PM
Reply #636

eyesalwaysblue

Cenk has to start for me in the next few games as it's simply not worked out the last couple.

Despite that fact, I am pleased he was pulled in a way as a kick up the backside and you could see the passion in him when he came on.

For many years players have had it too easy and never really had to fight for their places but now we have a bit of competition all over the place meaning people will need to perform or be pulled.
Tosun won't bag loads but he has very good movement to let others in, as the only option to score he's limited but with Walcott,Rich and hopefully Bernard goal spread will be good for us and a problem for the opposition.
I still despise Clive Thomas..

September 30, 2018, 11:10:50 PM
Reply #637

Stumpy

I'm sorry to say that the last 2 games have just emphasised what I've thought for a long time,that DCL simply is not up to the job.It's not just the lack of threat in front of goal,his all round play is poor and to me he offers very little.

September 30, 2018, 11:18:08 PM
Reply #638

Silas

NSNO Subscriber
He isn't ready to start week in week out yet. I think it's premature to talk like he never will.

October 01, 2018, 02:25:40 AM
Reply #639

ajax_andy

He'll never be a finisher... It's not a natural part of his game.  You watch someone like Daniel Sturridge when he first broke through, similar style of player but an absolute natural in front of goal.

The best we can hope for is he improves every aspect a bit, from hold up play to movement to finishing.

If he does all that he'll be a decent mid table starter or a useful squad player for a top 7 team.

Sadly non of those things really justify him being considered a starter for us now.

he's not terrible, and it's been unfair on the lad to have had so much on his shoulders so soon... But the truth is he doesn't have one stand out attribute that makes up for his lack of natural ability in front of goal

October 03, 2018, 01:48:41 AM
Reply #640

Tofifee

Not a premier league player, will never be a premier league player.

End up at Rangers or sumit

October 03, 2018, 06:02:32 AM
Reply #641

brap2

NSNO Subscriber
Tell you what had DCL put in that excuse of a performance this thread would be bouncing.

October 03, 2018, 07:48:21 AM
Reply #642

blueToffee

NSNO Subscriber
Tell you what had DCL put in that excuse of a performance this thread would be bouncing.

Iím guessing no tv coverage helped anyone who played poorly today fly under the radar a little more.

However, that is also a bit of a whataboutism, it doesnít really help DCLís cause any. To lean on a Brewsterís millions quote, perhaps itís just the case that ďnone of the aboveĒ is going to be the answer in terms of our strikers.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:52:55 AM by blueToffee »

October 03, 2018, 08:31:14 AM
Reply #643

kramer0

The argument for starting DCL is basically:

(1) the team performs about the same with him in the lineup instead of Tosun or Niasse
(2) he's the most likely to improve in a meaningful way

Unless Silva wants to try Richarlison or Sigurdsson or call up Hornby, I think he's the choice. We're basically playing for the future, anyhow.

October 03, 2018, 08:45:39 AM
Reply #644

cantoffee

DCL performs poorly for two games and he's "not good enough" or "will never make it". How does Tosun get away with doing nothing at all against the one of the worst defences in the league?

DCL might not be the answer, neither is Tosun.

I agree with Kramer, we are better off giving DCL more time to aid his development and ultimately I dont think it makes a difference to the team's performance level.

If anything it helps Tosun come off the bench against a tired defence and his lack of pace isnt such a hindrance to get chances.

I think we need to at least give DCL a run of 5 games to start and give him the chance to find some form. Otherwise we are no better off than we were before as Tosun has been poor in 80% of his time on the pitch this year.

Maybe he won't improve and we'll go back to Tosun in the hopes that he starts bagging a few but I really doubt that based on the evidence so far.